Old 11-27-2018, 10:20 AM
*Moderator*

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 590 Times in 234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerc View Post
I am one of those people.. I do it because I have never practiced a standstill shot. I do the same for forehand. I use a run up for anything that is not a putt, typically a standstill shot is because I cant run up. I am just much much more accurate with a run up.
I think you're the norm here - most players find a routine and timing in their x-step, even if they're not using it for generating power.

I can throw ~400' from a 1-step, but I only do that if my footing is terrible and I can't use an x-step.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 11-27-2018, 11:52 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 30
Niced 690 Times in 327 Posts

I throw tons of standstills (one-step, technically). I'm probably at about 90-95% distance on a standstill. I can get a Teebird out to 325' without a runup on a good day. I'm also way more accurate since there are less places to make mistakes without a run-up.

I'm also someone who took Will's advice in this video literally and have thrown thousands of standstills in field work. So I feel pretty comfortable using that on the course. A lot of players need an x-step or even a short walk-up to feel in rhythm. I feel best in rhythm if I just reach back, lift my front foot, and pull through. Personal preference.

Standstills are totally underrated and underutilized.

Niced: (2)
Old 11-27-2018, 11:58 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 9
Niced 118 Times in 50 Posts

I think the x-step is helpful not only for timing but transferring weight and allowing the hips to turn more naturally. I rarely throw standstill, unless I'm forced to, outside of putting and some approach shots.

Old 11-27-2018, 12:26 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 23
Niced 209 Times in 135 Posts

I'm only getting about an extra 15' with the x-step, but I lose accuracy. Really I should just do standstills all the time.

Niced: (3)
Old 11-27-2018, 12:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 145
Niced 1,178 Times in 611 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC_Eddy View Post
I'm also someone who took Will's advice in this video literally and have thrown thousands of standstills in field work. So I feel pretty comfortable using that on the course. A lot of players need an x-step or even a short walk-up to feel in rhythm. I feel best in rhythm if I just reach back, lift my front foot, and pull through. Personal preference.

Standstills are totally underrated and underutilized.
So did I. That is why I started throwing standstills. I used to be one of those people that had to run up just bc there was a tee box.

I spent one entire winter doing fieldwork and playing pitch and putt courses purely from a standstill, and my game immediately improved the following season.

In general, I think the majority of players vastly over-estimate how much benefit they get from a run up; I know I did. I'd bet that many people would actually throw further standstill than using a run up if only they would practice it for a week.

Old 11-27-2018, 07:25 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 101
Niced 232 Times in 124 Posts

I've been throwing from a standstill exclusively for about 2 years now and my game has never been better. I'm getting ready to turn 58 so I just don't have the athletic moves that I used to have. The standstill just simplifies everything, taking one big variable out of the equation. Like anything, you have to practice doing it over and over.
I started off feeling self conscious about using a standstill on the tee box...it felt sort of newbie ish or something. As I've gotten better at it, I'm amazed how far a person can actually throw from a standstill with proper weight shift, pull through and late acceleration. I think I surprise a lot of people...I hear a few "wows" now and then because you just don't see people throwing that way generally. I've gained distance and accuracy and practiced myself into being competitive with the friends I play with and that's all I'm looking for at this point.

Old 11-27-2018, 08:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 145
Niced 1,178 Times in 611 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by art_vandelay View Post
I started off feeling self conscious about using a standstill on the tee box...it felt sort of newbie ish or something.
This is true. And I think a real deterrent for some. People get soo used to tee box=run up, that its shocking to see a standstill on a 250+' hole.

You look like a total noob. Until your effortless-looking standstill is under the basket.

Old 11-27-2018, 09:48 PM
Eagle Member

I feel like my personal limitation for distance is about 350, which I'm close to now. That's about all you need on most courses if you can throw accurately.

The best way to learn it is to try it and practice it obviously, but if you want a starting point, look at videos of really good players throwing with an x step. Pay close attention to the position of their bodies, especially their lower bodies, as they do their weight shift, pivot and throw. Just start there, at the weight shift, and try to position your lower body exactly like most of them do. If your lower half is positioned and moving correctly, the upper half will follow including that whipping arm action. It works, try it.

A secondary advantage of the standstill is the fact that all of your throws excluding putting are based off of one easy motion.

Old 11-27-2018, 09:59 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roggenb3 View Post
This is true. And I think a real deterrent for some. People get soo used to tee box=run up, that its shocking to see a standstill on a 250+' hole.

You look like a total noob. Until your effortless-looking standstill is under the basket.
The funny thing is that if you throw with a one step or even a little crow hop type of thing, nobody will notice. It's just the standstill that seems to get comments and questions. Or I'm just self conscience.

Old 11-27-2018, 10:39 PM
**SuIciDe AnKles**

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 680
Niced 874 Times in 378 Posts

I typically get about 75-80% distance on standstills. In WI, I pretty much throw them exclusively during the winter...by the end of the season, it's more like 80-85%.

The real kicker is when the snow all melts and I go back to incorporating my run-up....the form work on standstill really pays off then.