Old 12-04-2018, 01:22 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 945 Times in 729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by art_vandelay View Post
I'm not a fan of high speed understable discs. Most of these types of discs are sold as easy distance for slower arms. While that can be true, these discs are not a cheat code for throwing far. My take is that your expertise needs to be even higher with squirrely plastic. Katanas seemed to be be more popular a few years ago and I was finding them in the shule at the rate of about one every couple of weeks. But many people swear by these type of discs or at least they keep on throwing them so more power to them. I just find them to be unreliable in general so I avoid.
I agree that SOME fast drivers provide easy distance for slow arms. However, I don't feel like the Katana, Boss, or Colossus fit that description. Discs that really maximize distance for noodle arms are things like the Nuke SS, Bolt, Daedalus, Tern, Shryke, Queen, Lace. I also agree that it takes great skill to throw wide rimmed, fast drivers accurately and consistently. I feel like the margin for error is greater with wide rimmed drivers than stuff like Teebirds or Thunderbirds. Frankly I think a Katana or Colossus is a horrible disc choice for a new player. Neither mold is easy to throw and both take a lot of arm to be effective with.

Boss: 13, 5, -1, 3
Katana: 14, 5, -2, 3
Colossus: 14, 5, -2, 3

I give the Colossus and Boss the same numbers. Depending on the disc you might even see -3 high speed turn on some of those. The Boss is the most consistent of the 3 because it has the least turn.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2018, 09:17 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 101
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 232 Times in 124 Posts

Of course you are right. It's going to depend on the specific disc and the person throwing it and even the wind on a given day to determine the outcome. But some of these discs are just an abomination. For me it's the Nuke SS that sets the bar for flippy garbage and I "blame" the manufacturers for doing this. They are leveraging the Nuke name to get slower arms to believe that they too can throw far. Which is true as long as you can find your disc after you throw it.
At this point in my dg experience I'm way more interested in fairway hits than throwing maximum distance. I can see the allure of these discs and I've been down that road but I turned back.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 945 Times in 729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by art_vandelay View Post
Of course you are right. It's going to depend on the specific disc and the person throwing it and even the wind on a given day to determine the outcome. But some of these discs are just an abomination. For me it's the Nuke SS that sets the bar for flippy garbage and I "blame" the manufacturers for doing this. They are leveraging the Nuke name to get slower arms to believe that they too can throw far. Which is true as long as you can find your disc after you throw it.
At this point in my dg experience I'm way more interested in fairway hits than throwing maximum distance. I can see the allure of these discs and I've been down that road but I turned back.
I'm in full agreement on this point. At one time I decided I was going to bag a Nuke SS to use for open distance bombing. The disc is super long. Probably one of the top 3 longest discs I've ever thrown. Problem is, its so flippy you have zero clue where its going. I think the Nuke SS is a much harder disc to throw effectively than a regular Nuke. I agree that companies shouldn't use the name of an established disc (Nuke) to create a flippier version of it. After many, many bad Nuke SS throws I took it out of the bag. The flippiest thing I bag now is a G* Shryke. It can be wild, but is still much easier to throw controlled than a Nuke SS.

I bag several speed 13 and above drivers. The Shryke is by far the flippiest. I like fast discs, but I want to know where they're going when I throw them. My 3 favorite wide rimmed driver molds are the Nuke, Boss, and Torrent. I've used all 3 for years and I feel confident throwing any of them for distance and accuracy.

Stuff like the Colossus and Katana are too inconsistent to make the cut for me. The Nuke SS WILL go 450' for me, but it'll be about 1 in 20 throws. The other 19 will either be flipped over or hyzered out because I got the release angle wrong. The Nuke SS is one of those discs that flips violently as soon as you get it to cruising speed. That attribute means it will never be consistent.

Last edited by Twmccoy; 12-04-2018 at 12:20 PM.

Old 09-28-2019, 08:21 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 4
Niced 92 Times in 73 Posts

I have it in pro (lighter) and a champ (heavier). I'm throwing about 320' - 350' range bh, and 240 - 280 fh with my 5'9" skinsack.
I like it in either plastic. It takes a lot more room, and/or power to work with in the champ plastic, but it really opens up shot selection with forehand capabilities. It's also deadly accurate. Or, can be.
On those days.