Old 12-25-2019, 02:48 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.1
Courses Played: 5
Niced 1,330 Times in 882 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post

Another guy I play with has two that are identical other than color (same age, wear, etc). He'll warm up with both, decide which one is "hot", and start the round putting that one. If he feels off or misses a couple putts, he'll swap. Works well for him.
I've got a big stack about 10 plasma Envy's the same weight. + one beautiful custom dye Evil Dead one.. The pretty one gets me into trouble it's tough to leave at home but it's a touch straighter than the rest.

Out of my stack 3 or 4 are identical straight, 3 stable, 2 OS, 2 US relatively speaking. All 165-167g plasma. Before a tourney I putt em all in a 10 disc elimination.. Whichever two are hot I bag em so I can swap if one goes cold. That said I carry a US Spin at 165 and sometimes still putt with it.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2019, 10:19 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 20
Niced 609 Times in 445 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
Speaking of putters getting too hard in winter, I used to have a modern Pro D for longer putts and a stiff older Pro D Magnet in bag and in true winter past 40 degrees F the stiff Pro D disc more around 35 F and lower would start to get too stiff to the point I was worried about breaking so I would switch to the modern Pro D Magnet my that was then as stiff as my old stiff Pro D Magnet in warmer weather even more so at 32 F and lower the modern Pro D Magnet was right at old stiff Pro D Magnet in warmer. Now I have Jawbreaker for my Magnets and the Proline Titanic discs have enough grip loss for good putting finesse due to plastic getting stiff so I use the Jawbreaker set only then. I can use other similar plastic to Proline in my bag for non putting but for putting I need grip or stiff as they come if disc is a little slick. Even below 55 F the Proline Titanic gets a bit slick for putting but will still work down to 45 F.
So far with all my winter play over the years the plastic I like most is the Trilogy putters Medium blends - I won't ever putt Discraft or Innova as they do NOT have great softer plastics. Prodigy 300 soft is ok, its really not THAT soft, and Trilogy mediums are juuust right . not floppy, but in the cold they still have some good grip and catch the chains. I just wish they had a disc that felt like a Luna in that plastic. but ehhhh its whatever

Niced: (1)
Old 12-26-2019, 10:22 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 41
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 817 Times in 495 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasOrion View Post
So far with all my winter play over the years the plastic I like most is the Trilogy putters Medium blends - I won't ever putt Discraft or Innova as they do NOT have great softer plastics. Prodigy 300 soft is ok, its really not THAT soft, and Trilogy mediums are juuust right . not floppy, but in the cold they still have some good grip and catch the chains. I just wish they had a disc that felt like a Luna in that plastic. but ehhhh its whatever
I also prefer Trilogy Medium putting plastic in the winter, but Discraft Jawbreaker isn't that far behind. Very similar feel, just a little less tackiness. They are the same for me in cold/dry conditions, but the Trilogy plastic is better in cold/wet.

Old 12-26-2019, 12:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.1
Courses Played: 5
Niced 1,330 Times in 882 Posts

It's interesting that you guys will swap your putters for a different plastic in the winter...

Is it strictly a grip thing or are you preserving your main ones from cold weather cracking?
Old 12-26-2019, 12:47 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 41
Niced 817 Times in 495 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowaEnvy View Post
It's interesting that you guys will swap your putters for a different plastic in the winter...

Is it strictly a grip thing or are you preserving your main ones from cold weather cracking?
Strictly grip. I've never cracked a disc while putting, only while driving.

And I've never cracked a Trilogy disc. The only disc that broke for me in the cold was DX.

Old 12-27-2019, 08:14 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 91
Niced 1,572 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowaEnvy View Post

Typically just a grip thing for me. I really like the grip of the Rubber/D blend steadys in the cold. Regular D gets really slick when it's cold since the plastic has a smoother feel.

I don't worry too much about cracking my putters in the winter, since I'm really not throwing them off the tee much if at all.

Old 12-27-2019, 08:18 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 7
Niced 483 Times in 254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasOrion View Post
What about Innova's XT plastic in the cold?
Old 12-27-2019, 09:03 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 31
Niced 1,060 Times in 500 Posts

I use two. One of several Classic Blend Wardens for most putts, and a GG Star Sonic for putts outside 60'.
Old 12-27-2019, 09:59 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 20
Niced 609 Times in 445 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wims View Post
What about Innova's XT plastic in the cold?
didnt love it and not widely available and colors are not abundant

Old 12-27-2019, 02:36 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 20.6
Courses Played: 68
Niced 14 Times in 10 Posts

I have only one putting putter mold, the Reko in k3 plastic, but I carry 3 of them. 2 identical max weights and one light weight (163-64g) in a different color. The 2 max weights I use for just about everything inside 55-60. I use the light weight for longer jump putts, uphill putts, and straddle putts where I may not have optimal footing or limited arm movement. I also use it for short approaches. The light weight Reko works great at this distance for me as it’s stability and glide will keeping my putting stroke nearly identical to closer range.