Old 05-15-2020, 05:35 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 4
Niced 348 Times in 205 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Butlertron View Post
My pick for the most criminally underrated disc is the DX Cobra.

I picked one up a few months back at my local hardware store for a one disc round out of necessity and was completely dumbfounded how throwable it was. Let's face it, DX Cobras are basic and being basic is very unflattering. Noobs can't flick them, you won't see or hear your favorite pro mention them in an ITB, and DG marketing isn't aggressively shoving them in your face. Simply put, they're easily overlooked.

Why do I like them?
I can't put them on frozen ropes or effortless anny shots off the store shelf, they're cheap, and they're easily replaceable. I enjoy traveling and playing new courses, but I found myself taking less aggressive lines repeatedly for fear of losing my beloved perfectly seasoned premium understable mids to water hazards and or blind layouts with heavy rough. Ain't nobody got time for that.

In conclusion, people may think DX Cobras are like kissing your sister, but I think they're more like kissing your sister when you're from West Virginia.
How funny, I actually came in here to say DX Cobra, and the first time I ever threw one was this morning. I found an unmarked DX Cobra yesterday at the course. I'm going through a form rebuild and throwing lots of slow stuff, basically playing rounds with nothing but Wizards, a Buzzz, and 3 Gazelles in various levels of beatness. For some reason I thought Cobras were understable roller machines, but decided to give it a throw during field work. Man was I wrong about this disc. I threw that thing on a frozen rope just like you described, and it sailed past my buzzz and my gazelles. Nice and stiff and I love DX plastic. Really excited to add this disc to the bag.
Sponsored Links

Old 05-15-2020, 06:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17.7
Courses Played: 297
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 432 Times in 205 Posts
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by azplaya25 View Post
How funny, I actually came in here to say DX Cobra, and the first time I ever threw one was this morning. I found an unmarked DX Cobra yesterday at the course. Nice and stiff and I love DX plastic. Really excited to add this disc to the bag.
Our revolution is gaining traction, mon ami
Old 05-16-2020, 12:23 AM
Par Member

Niced 155 Times in 72 Posts

Z Xtreme was ahead of its time. Bring it back.
Old 05-16-2020, 01:50 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 17.3
Courses Played: 25
Niced 1,147 Times in 953 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFlickLuke View Post
Z Xtreme was ahead of its time. Bring it back.
So was the XS, both OS Discraft discs. Bring them back. Anybody does DGA have an XS like disc?, for my brother. Same question for the Xtreame for the guy above.
Old 05-16-2020, 10:32 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 945 Times in 729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
So was the XS, both OS Discraft discs. Bring them back. Anybody does DGA have an XS like disc?, for my brother. Same question for the Xtreame for the guy above.
The XS wasn't overstable at all. If anything it was like a Valkyrie. Fairly unimpressive.

If you want overstable, look at the Reaper.
Old 05-16-2020, 11:30 AM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 82
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,493 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
The XS wasn't overstable at all. If anything it was like a Valkyrie. Fairly unimpressive.

Reaper was class, thought they might run more after that limited big Z run sold out so fast.

Niced: (2)
Old 05-16-2020, 12:39 PM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 18.6
Courses Played: 41
Niced 1,221 Times in 610 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by azplaya25 View Post
How funny, I actually came in here to say DX Cobra, and the first time I ever threw one was this morning. I found an unmarked DX Cobra yesterday at the course. I'm going through a form rebuild and throwing lots of slow stuff, basically playing rounds with nothing but Wizards, a Buzzz, and 3 Gazelles in various levels of beatness. For some reason I thought Cobras were understable roller machines, but decided to give it a throw during field work. Man was I wrong about this disc. I threw that thing on a frozen rope just like you described, and it sailed past my buzzz and my gazelles. Nice and stiff and I love DX plastic. Really excited to add this disc to the bag.
Beat ones are Hell, new ones work great on contolled approach FH rollers too. I always have one of each in my big bag, the 4ish/10 being 30 years old. Simply put better roller discs tend to have a fairly 50/50 weight ratio above and below the PLH. Shape of the rim of course matters as well...and the Cobra possesses both of those qualities.
Old 05-21-2020, 09:02 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 20
Niced 347 Times in 196 Posts

I know it was mentioned back in 2011, but I will give my vote to the Innova Shark. Comes in the starter pack with the leopard and the aviar p&a. People always praise the leopard and there are so many aviar manifestations, I don't know the difference between them all, but the dx shark is a fine disc and never gets out of the roc's large shadow.

Niced: (2)
Old 05-26-2020, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobfish View Post
I know it was mentioned back in 2011, but I will give my vote to the Innova Shark. Comes in the starter pack with the leopard and the aviar p&a. People always praise the leopard and there are so many aviar manifestations, I don't know the difference between them all, but the dx shark is a fine disc and never gets out of the roc's large shadow.
I second the Shark, having had one since 2000's in my bag. I found a DX 166 gram on a course without a name or anything on the disc so I think the disc was used for one round as it still had he big sticker from a store on it on the back old faded letters as if the disc was left out for a week. I gave that disc away with other new discs to a friend who could use those discs but I had by then other Shark discs I could use for my approach game out to ~ max of 110 feet and my Driving putter slot as well as windy putting putter.

I use the Shark 3 for true midrange and if that were gone, and all sold out when I need more, I would try to see if Innova comes back with the Shark in Champion if not then I would get the Lion in Champion, as a disc with Shark like dome in other plastic will have the putter float unless something like the ROC, then the mold has glide not just drops when spin starts to be visibly slower.

Old 05-26-2020, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post

Oh, my brother liked the XS he had for a few years before a cousin using the mold dunked it in the water on a course. If it is Vakyrie like then my brother has the exact replacement from Innova the Sidewinder, and he has used the Road Runner too.