Old 06-25-2020, 02:37 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 1,095 Times in 420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaROCaM View Post
Discmania's system isn't hard to figure out and actually tells you something about the disc:

P=putter
M=midrange
_D=driver (with the letter in the blank telling you what kind of driver it is)
Then the number telling you the relative stability level

DD's naming system requires you to look up every disc to know what it is. If you are new to the game you have to look at a chart to see what all the names mean.

Discmania's system is much simpler and more informative.
Except then they pitch it as the “Iron Razor Hook II” and you look for the small print to finally figure out that it’s just an destroyer clone in swirly greenish-brown camouflage star plastic.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2020, 02:40 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 41
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 808 Times in 491 Posts

A name is just a name to me. I don't care what the disc is called.

As far as business strategy is concerned, I would guess that if DD's disc lineup were created today that they likely would go with a different naming convention. But you have to keep in mind that their first discs were approved back in 2012, which was only a decade removed from 9/11. We had a much more pro-police/pro-military/pro-firefighters culture at the time. It likely never occurred to them that naming discs as a tip of the cap to law enforcement would be "political" only 8 years later.

Niced: (2)
Old 06-25-2020, 02:41 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 525
Niced 1,547 Times in 737 Posts

You'd have to look up literally every other manufacturer too. What TDx or an H3V2? That's my point. Or a Malta or Daedalus or Apache or Ra?
Old 06-25-2020, 02:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 48
Niced 936 Times in 631 Posts

Quote:
Discmania's system is much simpler and more informative.
I don't agree with this at all.

Old 06-25-2020, 02:43 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 38
Niced 747 Times in 347 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Ogre View Post
Roaming Dark Claw Swirly Metal Flake Glow 36DD.
WhalePants Lucid X Sparkling Glimmer Melverick

Unless it's from the Emporia region, then it isn't sparkling, it has a special name.

Niced: (2)
Old 06-25-2020, 02:45 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 1,095 Times in 420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphilso1 View Post
A name is just a name to me. I don't care what the disc is called.

As far as business strategy is concerned, I would guess that if DD's disc lineup were created today that they likely would go with a different naming convention. But you have to keep in mind that their first discs were approved back in 2012, which was only a decade removed from 9/11. We had a much more pro-police/pro-military/pro-firefighters culture at the time. It likely never occurred to them that naming discs as a tip of the cap to law enforcement would be "political" only 8 years later.
I guess I’d always assumed it was an old west theme.
Old 06-25-2020, 02:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.8
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,531 Times in 883 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Ogre View Post
I guess I’d always assumed it was an old west theme.
Nope, that's Legacy.
Old 06-25-2020, 02:50 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 38
Niced 747 Times in 347 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
I don't agree with this at all.
Imagine someone new to disc golf. How do you explain to them how to tell if a DD disc is a putter, midrange, driver. They have to look it up on a chart or list. How can they tell which is more stable between a Judge and a Warden? They have to look it up.

Now look at how the Discmania system is consistent and tells you not only what class of disc it is, but also the relative stability.

Which is more stable, P1 or P2? Oh, the bigger number. That makes sense. Now I know that a P3 is a more stable disc than the ones with smaller numbers. Oh, and since it is a "P" then I also know it is a putter without having to look it up.

If a P5 is ever released, you already know it is 1) a putter and 2) higher in stability.

If DD releases a new disc and tells you the name, you have no idea what kind of disc it is or how stable it is.

Edit: All bets are off for the special signature editions. But then again it is the same with DD.

Niced: (1)

Last edited by SaROCaM; 06-25-2020 at 02:53 PM.
Old 06-25-2020, 02:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.8
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,531 Times in 883 Posts

Discmania and Prodigy naming system both break down. It takes a minimum of 4 numbers to describe the flight ( maybe not the common 4 numbers, but 4 numbers still)

Or as I have seen in real life...
"Why is my D3 more stable than my D2?"

Old 06-25-2020, 02:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 29
Niced 57 Times in 45 Posts

Quote:
Imagine someone new to disc golf. How do you explain to them how to tell if a DD disc is a putter, midrange, driver. They have to look it up on a chart or list. How can they tell which is more stable between a Judge and a Warden? They have to look it up.

Now look at how the Discmania system is consistent and tells you not only what class of disc it is, but also the relative stability.

Which is more stable, P1 or P2? Oh, the bigger number. That makes sense. Now I know that a P3 is a more stable disc than the ones with smaller numbers. Oh, and since it is a "P" then I also know it is a putter without having to look it up.

If a P5 is ever released, you already know it is 1) a putter and 2) higher in stability.

If DD releases a new disc and tells you the name, you have no idea what kind of disc it is or how stable it is.
This is patently false

Exhibit A: P3X is not more stable than a P2 but by your view of the naming convention it would be

Which is more stable or faster the PD or the PDx? How, without looking it up would you know what the X means? It could mean it's slower, or less stable, or, if you are familiar with a P3X you may assume the PDx is just a flatter version of the PD

And just to build on it...all Innova discs...nothing in their naming convention would allow you to know the differences in the discs without looking it up