Old 07-22-2020, 05:03 PM

Courses Played: 46
Niced 17 Times in 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
For me and my club the sport are growing TOO fast...it took us over 2y to get permission to expand our local 9-hole course to 18-holes and we had to pay for everything our selfs and do all the work.
But we just got the 18-holes in and already there is so many people playing that it’s hard to play on weekends
Similar story for us too, we finally got our brand new 18-hole course installed after 2 year process and it's already crowded from morning to late night.

Our club is currently trying to sell sponsorship packages to local companies, which will allow them to put up banners, company stickers to basket band/pole, space in teesign on hole they wanted to sponsor and made contract for, that way we gather some revenue for course maintenance and hopefully for another course project.

And on topic, we won't see any really big sponsors if youtube videos are the only way they are seen. At least I wouldn't do sponsorship unless I got my company name attached to multiple weekend venues which pull thousands of spectators to watch pros play dg. At this moment pro players aren't interesting enough for sponsors, big crowds are the key that pull in sponsors and big name pros pull crowds to venues.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2020, 08:58 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 25.4
Courses Played: 106
Niced 311 Times in 152 Posts

When your course gets too crowded, time to monetize it! Pay to play is the proven solution, as long as you can coordinate with the landowner. P2P is money that can be used to pay staff and make courses better. Less volunteers, more staff! This is a good thing.

The amount of griping on this thread is really too much to take. Things are looking as good as it ever has for DG. I'll see myself to the door.

Old 07-23-2020, 09:06 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 87
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 131 Times in 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
Sponsored players give nothing back to clubs, courses or the AM side. This is a failing business model, IMO. And the foundation of clubs is always going to be a problem. A business model built on the backs of volunteers is an uphill battle at best.
Have a sponsored player in our club running a league. The manufacturer donated a basket, and some test stuff but to donate disc for the league they wanted you to buy 80 discs minimum.

This is what manufacturers do in this sport, we will sponsor you but give us 500$ first which isn't really a sponsorship. We have to pay you and promote you at the same time a$$backwards.

Niced: (1)
Old 07-23-2020, 09:07 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 87
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 131 Times in 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by esdubya View Post
When your course gets too crowded, time to monetize it! Pay to play is the proven solution, as long as you can coordinate with the landowner. P2P is money that can be used to pay staff and make courses better. Less volunteers, more staff! This is a good thing.

The amount of griping on this thread is really too much to take. Things are looking as good as it ever has for DG. I'll see myself to the door.
All of the courses in my area are in public parks, this just isn't possible.

Niced: (1)
Old 07-23-2020, 10:24 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 40
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 644 Times in 273 Posts

Don't know if this is relevant, but references the ROI that is so important to sponsors.
DG participation got a HUGE boost from the COVID restrictions, and school being out and the outdoors being seen as a great place to spend time in a healthy environment.
I have seen more families out on the course in the past few months than ever before.
When little Johnny and little Susie go out and play DG with Mom and Dad, a lot of them will have a pleasant memory of a day spent throwing the plates around. Some of the little ones will ask to go back.
BUT, I have talked to more than one parent that got HOOKED from playing DG on a family outing in the last few months.
This (the healthy family participation), I believe, will change the way the game is seen going forward.

I talked to someone at Discraft and they re-enforced what I've been seeing.
They can't keep up with all the discs that are being purchased and distributed!!

Last edited by DiscJunkie; 07-23-2020 at 10:27 AM.
Old 08-01-2020, 11:21 AM
Par Member

Niced 155 Times in 72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscJunkie View Post
I talked to someone at Discraft and they re-enforced what I've been seeing.
They can't keep up with all the discs that are being purchased and distributed!!
Local stores in my neck of the woods are picked clean.

You can get a green driver or a brown mid, but that's about all that's left.

Looks like Innova is having trouble meeting production demands, too.
Old 08-01-2020, 11:20 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 146 Times in 101 Posts

Discs are low/out of stock from all the big manufacturers, I think mostly from the COVID shutdown, they are trying to catch up but I think you guys are right that more and more people just picked up the game during the shutdown and the extra demand crippled the supply too. I even walked by the disc golf area at Walmart and all I saw left was I think 1 DX Cobra. When usually they had 60-70 discs. Just empty shelves. Same at my local retailer. Can't find half the discs in stock. Online is so low too, it's crazy.

Old 08-03-2020, 08:03 PM
Par Member

Niced 78 Times in 39 Posts

Cornhole & MMA together on ESPN2.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2020/8/3...t-kamaru-usman

Time for Funky (#26612) to step up.