Old 08-19-2020, 03:18 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 41
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 803 Times in 489 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdaire27 View Post
Id be pretty darn good at disc golf if I could putt...

I putt in my yard every day, and try not to change things up too much, but it doesnt translate into the course when it counts. Any tips/tricks/etc?

I know, repetition repetition repetition....
I have a couple mental tricks that I use during rounds.

I find that when I'm practicing, if I make the first putt from a spot than odds are I'm going to make the second putt too. To transfer this confidence to the course, I will go through the full putting routine but not release the disc; then I mentally visualize that "putt" going in. Then when I'm taking my actual putt I get a little confidence boost, just like in the backyard practicing, because I've already "seen" myself make the putt and all I'm doing now is repeating a putt I've already "made." Not sure if that makes any sense. I'm a tad neurotic, and that is one of my mental tricks for preventing my brain from getting in the way while putting.

Another one I do is to tell myself that I'm going to count the putt as a gimmee, regardless of if it goes in or not. Of course I don't actually count it as a gimmee...if I miss, then it's going down on the score card as a par instead of a birdie. But by telling myself that, it takes the pressure off of the putt.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 08-19-2020, 06:03 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.6
Niced 477 Times in 295 Posts

Quote:
Id be pretty darn good at disc golf if I could putt...

I putt in my yard every day, and try not to change things up too much, but it doesnt translate into the course when it counts. Any tips/tricks/etc?

I know, repetition repetition repetition....
I'd echo what other people are saying about visualizing and stepping up with the confidence that you've already made it.

In addition I think having a good putting form is probably the most overlooked thing in disc golf. Obviously since the power requirements are low, you can make anything work with enough practice, but it's still worth it to have an easy form - Rick switched up 80% of how he putted and became the GOAT putter.

https://discgolf.ultiworld.com/2016/...e-a-sockibomb/

I'd say it would be helpful to try and find a pro (who is good at putting) close to how you putt now (EI if you straddle-push, look at Kevin Jones; stagger push, Wysocki; super-spin, eagle; spush stagger, 2015 mcbeth.)

The other thing is to make sure you use your whole body in the putting motion. This will help with accuracy if you're a little tired or nervous. A good analogy would be Dwight Howard shooting FTs. He was and still is a terrible in-game FT shooter (sub 60% career, 51% this year). But apparently he would shoot >85% in practice. Which obviously is partially the yips, but also if you watched him shoot, he would basically ONLY use his wrists and arms, which is going to get harder and harder to keep accurate as you tire or if you get nervous.
Same deal for putting, the more you can generate easy, repeatable, nerve free power from big muscles and your mass, the higher margin of error you'll get.

Old 08-19-2020, 06:25 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 51
Niced 481 Times in 296 Posts

I really think one of my downfalls is not using my body. I know to do it at home, but on the course I short my putts, or hit am side low a lot, because I don’t get my body into it. As far as my style, it’s relatively standard, but I think adding some JC oomf to my putt could go a long way!
Old 08-19-2020, 07:24 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
I really think one of my downfalls is not using my body. I know to do it at home, but on the course I short my putts, or hit am side low a lot, because I dont get my body into it. As far as my style, its relatively standard, but I think adding some JC oomf to my putt could go a long way!
One thing that's interesting about JC and Eagle is, if you watch in slow-mo, their first motion while their arm is moving up is to curl the wrist and bring the disc in a little more before it rockets out.

Make sure to put some legs into it when you're going through your pre-putt routine.

Old 08-22-2020, 11:25 PM
Double Eagle Member

So, focusing on actually using my body during my putt has helped a lot! Feel I've been a bit more consistent.

Also, I liked aphilso1s stats breakdown, so I did a little breakdown myself. I counted my typical tee shot disc for each hole for 6 local courses (one has longs and shorts), and for some holes I have two options (as I sometimes bounce back and forth).

Truth - 25.5%
Undertaker - 18.2%
Wraith - 10.9%
Felon - 10.2%
Reko - 9.5%
Zone - 6.6%
Warrant - 5.8%
Heat - 5.1%
Verdict - 3.6%
Fortress - 2.9%
OS-DD - 1.5%

I really like to throw the truth. Been bagging 2-3 usually.

Niced: (2)
Old 08-22-2020, 11:43 PM
Eagle Member

Are you bagging Discmania DDs?
Old 08-22-2020, 11:52 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasissouth View Post
Are you bagging Discmania DDs?
Negative. Been bouncing back and forth between the Enforcer and Splatter Emperor. I like to have something a little faster than the wraith in that OS DD slot. Sorry if the “OS DD” thing was confusing, lulz
Old 08-31-2020, 10:08 PM
Double Eagle Member

Went and played Judson Mine this weekend. Is a very fun course. Cubby aced long hole 7.

Anywho; in the bag or cart

Judge - 2x Prime, usually have one thats pretty beat for jump putts or straight up shots and a fresher one for a little more fade.
Reko - 2x K1, one that is pretty used, and doesn't fade much, and a fresher one that will fade/flex.
Zone - 1x ESP, puddle top, a very reliable overstable approach disc, perfect for forehands.
Warrant - 1x Lucid, flippy mid, easy to flip, hold turnovers, get out of trouble situations.
Truth - 3x Lucid, workhorse mold. One will flip up and fly straight, one that flips and fades, one that holds the line until the fade.
Verdict - 1x Glimmer, overstable mid, great for flexes, hyzers, head wind mid shots.
Heat - 1x ESP, like a long range Warrant, great for hyzer flips to straight shots.
Undertaker - 3x Z, one that is kind of understable, on that has the straight flight, and a FRZ that has good HSS and good fade.
Felon - 2x Lucid, pretty much only forehands, one is a bit used and flies straight for a bit, and a freshy for that OS flight.
Fortress - 1x VIP, tweener driver, for headwinds and hyzers.
Wraith - 2x Star and 1x Colorglo, star for main drivers, and the colorglo is a bit more OS and flat for distant forehands.
Emperor - 1x Splatter, OS distance, probably my least thrown driver, but good when the headwind is ripping.

Old 09-09-2020, 09:50 AM
Double Eagle Member

Rating drop was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Played a few smaller events at courses I’m not familiar with and my performance really lacked. Have one more planned event this weekend at highbridge on gold shorts and blueberry. Hoping to just hit fairways and play smart.

In other news, I attained a few VIP Maidens to try (against the Rekos). Super comfortable in the hand. I really like the shallow feel. Flies very straight with a little fade, much like the Reko. They are honestly comparable on most accounts, but the maiden is a bit more shallow, which I like. So I might bag it for a while and shelf the Rekos. Maidens are also quite a bit cheaper. Otherwise, bags have looked the same.

Been playing well at leagues. Tied first last week and second this week. So there’s that.

Old 09-29-2020, 02:01 PM
Double Eagle Member

Kind of simplified things. Been rocking something like (US to OS for multiples):

Wraiths - used Star; fresh Star; Halo/Beefy Colorglo
Undertaker - used & light Z; fresh Z; FRZ
Felon - Lucid; LX
Sting - Z
Truth - US PreMac; used EMac; fresh EMac
Verdict - LX
Zone - ESP
Reko - beat K1; fresh K1
Judge - used Prime; fresher Prime

Sting in place of Heat and Warrant. I was hoping it would be a bit straighter, but it is a bit US. Will continue to mess with it.

Been toying with how I throw. Last year I simplified my footwork and that has seemed to help, but I was still a little inconsistent on the release. For putters/mids I recently switched to a modified fan grip, but even more recently transitioned to a little more of a fan (but still a bit modified). I’ve also been pulling back with a little more inward curl to my wrist, and it has helped emphasize pulling straight through instead of rounding. All in all, I do think the minuscule changes are helping, especially throwing straight (tunnels). Also seems to help a bit with distance.

Putting changed a little bit, too, and lately putting has been the best part of my game. Been pulling my back swing with a straighter arm between my legs further (still staggered stance), and being intentional with shaking hands with the basket on the follow through.

Anyway... October is a busy month of disc golf. Seems there’s something happening every weekend, so we will see what I partake in.

Niced: (2)

Last edited by jmdaire27; 09-29-2020 at 02:04 PM.