Old 08-28-2020, 11:19 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 41
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 804 Times in 490 Posts

Like ThrowaEnvy said, Wave is a super solid disc for those of us who aren't power throwers. I don't bag one anymore, simply because a beat-in Trespass overlaps too much. I bag Trespass x3 & Vanish, but if I lose my beat Trespasses I could easily slide a Wave back in the bag and be fine.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2020, 11:23 AM

Courses Played: 6
Niced 8 Times in 4 Posts

Yeah I could see it flipping too much if you have that kind of power, I'm around the 350 range, 370 on a good days and the Wave is my max distance driver.
I'm sure a Tern would be comparable, but I really dig the feel of MVP discs, specifically the plastic.

Niced: (2)
Old 08-28-2020, 12:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.1
Courses Played: 5
Niced 1,325 Times in 878 Posts

I know for me the 155-164 plasma Wave is my max distance for sure.. Maybe my 143 fr fission Photon but they are both close and the wave is more "legitimate " and reliable flight for my armspeed.

My neutron 155 wave is a bit harder for me to get big turn out of and the difference for me is notable. I've had the neutron since I could throw further, used to love it but I knew I was pushing my luck for control these days. Enter the plasma and now I've got 4 plasmas and the one neutron. Even my 164 plasma is easier for me than that fr neutron. Honestly I'm not sure if I can even crack 330' these days but it's still a cheaty 20-30' for me.

Old 08-28-2020, 12:09 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 164 Times in 94 Posts

I found that the Neutron Wave (throwing a 172g 2015 Circuit Series Wave FAF like the HOFC Waves in the same run) overlapped a bit with my 163g Fission Photons. I felt I had more versatility with the Fission Photons and had a wider range with the same mold so I ditched the Wave after 4+ years of bagging it. Tried the new Fission Waves (172g and a 163g) and they are close to the 2nd run Fission Waves -- the ones with the pop top. The difference being that the Fission plastic is a bit different. It has a similar look as the FR Fission Photons (lots of striations and bubbles from near the center towards the edge) but the feel is not as chalky or grippy as either the FR or 2nd Run Fission Photons (the FR being chalky yet grippy and the 2nd run being a bit more rubbery but still chalky). The newer Fission is firmer at the grip point for the thumb on the flight plate -- similar to the firmness of the Fission Volts. The feel is a bit slicker and it is a bit harder to get the thumb to really grip on the flight plate. Hopefully this improves with age and more beating in, but it is hard to feel confident and commit because of this. I am going to cycle a 163g into the bag and see how it fairs with the Fission Photons. Despite the slickness, I can already tell that this Fission will hold up to longer wear and tear and might just be an improvement over older Fission. Only time will tell.
Old 08-28-2020, 01:48 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 7
Niced 1,267 Times in 631 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowaEnvy View Post
Haha well from what I hear pretty much if you're a sub 400 ft thrower the Wave is awesome. More specifically the 300-350ish range it can add 20-30ft.
I can personally attest to this. My 165 plaz is a little flippy, but not uselessly so. I can hyzerflip it for great distance easy. I had two shots yesterday that amazed me. See screenshot a few posts back for one, and the other was a 340' laserbeam down a tunnel, parked for an easy bird.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-29-2020, 10:18 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 53
Niced 5,725 Times in 2,961 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by funguy View Post
I found that the Neutron Wave (throwing a 172g 2015 Circuit Series Wave FAF like the HOFC Waves in the same run) overlapped a bit with my 163g Fission Photons. I felt I had more versatility with the Fission Photons and had a wider range with the same mold so I ditched the Wave after 4+ years of bagging it. Tried the new Fission Waves (172g and a 163g) and they are close to the 2nd run Fission Waves -- the ones with the pop top. The difference being that the Fission plastic is a bit different. It has a similar look as the FR Fission Photons (lots of striations and bubbles from near the center towards the edge) but the feel is not as chalky or grippy as either the FR or 2nd Run Fission Photons (the FR being chalky yet grippy and the 2nd run being a bit more rubbery but still chalky). The newer Fission is firmer at the grip point for the thumb on the flight plate -- similar to the firmness of the Fission Volts. The feel is a bit slicker and it is a bit harder to get the thumb to really grip on the flight plate. Hopefully this improves with age and more beating in, but it is hard to feel confident and commit because of this. I am going to cycle a 163g into the bag and see how it fairs with the Fission Photons. Despite the slickness, I can already tell that this Fission will hold up to longer wear and tear and might just be an improvement over older Fission. Only time will tell.
Those HOFC Waves are nice.
Old 08-29-2020, 01:59 PM

Niced 19 Times in 11 Posts

I guess my 174g Plasma Wave is an exception then? I can hit 420 with it (with no wind) and it's also my go-to long distance anhyzer disc.
So far I have not found a candidate for a possible replacement. Perhaps a Fission Photon. Photons I have thrown so far do not have a comparable glide and are too stable vs that Wave.
I also bag a very beat in flat top Neutron Wave for rollers. Rarely used, but very useful when I need it.
Old 08-29-2020, 02:11 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 164 Times in 94 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisDG View Post
I guess my 174g Plasma Wave is an exception then? I can hit 420 with it (with no wind) and it's also my go-to long distance anhyzer disc.
So far I have not found a candidate for a possible replacement. Perhaps a Fission Photon. Photons I have thrown so far do not have a comparable glide and are too stable vs that Wave.
I also bag a very beat in flat top Neutron Wave for rollers. Rarely used, but very useful when I need it.
You probably won't find it with the current run of Fission Photons. The Fission Wave with some beating in will be close, but the Plasma Waves were some of the flippier plastic that it was made in. I don't have one anymore but I remember them being as US as my beat in Neutron Wave right off the shelf. The closest I have seen are the 2nd run Fission Photons. But I would just try the Fission Photon or find another Plasma Wave--they are still pretty easy to find.

Old 08-29-2020, 03:43 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 7
Niced 1,267 Times in 631 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by funguy View Post
You probably won't find it with the current run of Fission Photons. The Fission Wave with some beating in will be close, but the Plasma Waves were some of the flippier plastic that it was made in. I don't have one anymore but I remember them being as US as my beat in Neutron Wave right off the shelf. The closest I have seen are the 2nd run Fission Photons. But I would just try the Fission Photon or find another Plasma Wave--they are still pretty easy to find.
My go to distance driver is a 165 plaz wave. Newer run, has the new stock stamp. Even at 330'-350'ish distance I can flip it over pretty easily if I'm not careful. I'd call it flippy. Not uselessly so, but more often than not, my drives drift right.

Old 08-29-2020, 04:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.1
Courses Played: 5
Niced 1,325 Times in 878 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisDG View Post
Either that or you just have good form... the dome is helpful with Wave stability.. I feel like a fission photon -8g (166g) should be close... but a domey neutron Wave might fill the bill too. I've only got one neutron though so ymmv

I have never burned a wave or flipped it by accident.. Sometimes it flexes a little far but... I have burned my 143 fission photon plenty.

Last edited by ThrowaEnvy; 08-29-2020 at 04:42 PM.