Old 08-31-2020, 06:22 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 23
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 168 Times in 84 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keller View Post
These are the main types of players I see on the course/leagues/tournaments in my area.

C) The weekender one league night a week guy. Has an Innova standard bag with the same 10 disc he's had for the last 5 years. He could care less what anyone else throws, he's just out to get away for a while and have some fun. Usually not a bad player, just doesn't have the time or interest in getting better. But these guys are usually fun to play with and appreciate a good shot.
This would be me. I get to play once a week, twice if I'm lucky. Except even tho I don't have a ton of time to play, I do have some spare time at work to read. So I have a better than standard bag although its only about 6 discs.

Regarding Rastnav's post, I recently replaced my old Z buzzz but realizing that the old one flies a bit understable, I'm thinking of adding it back in as a separate slot. Take this same situation and multiply it by 15 years and I would have what he is referring to.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 08-31-2020, 09:17 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10
Courses Played: 46
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 5,175 Times in 2,163 Posts

I'll I have to say is that I played a tourney this weekend and got a good chuckle out of the McBeth wannabees toting around carts and huge Grip bags around a short woods course while I had 3-4 discs in an Innova standard bag.

Old 08-31-2020, 10:47 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 118
Niced 68 Times in 40 Posts

With newer players I always encourage disc and mold minimization b/c it lowers the amount of variables you can pick wrong. A big factor that newer players don't even realize is how much their form/release matters and how inconsistent they are. Because it helped me understand my flaws as a thrower and led to massive improvements in my game I always recommend grabbing 3-4 copies of a disc you like so you can "know" the differences in results is a reflection of your throwing abilities.

Additionally, I think newer players can understand the impact of turn & fade flight numbers but don't understand the significance of hyzer/flat/anny releases. So they describe the results of their throws to the few parameters they currently understand.

Now as a more mature player, I definitely have a few molds that I love to throw because they feel better in the hand. I have at least 10 of these discs in various plastic types because I didn't know which plastics I would like best, how quickly they might beat in, or how different they would fly fresh. I love the buzzz and now I can hit a bunch of lines with my Fresh ESP/Beat ESP/Jawbreaker combo.

Of course when I lose my beat-in favorites its hard to quickly get a replacement so I do have some unique molds that I keep around for those trying times.

Old 08-31-2020, 10:51 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 17
Niced 258 Times in 148 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by azplaya25 View Post
I think it’s all about nose angle...definitely doable if you have a workable disc. Regarding the presence of trees - I’d only be throwing either of these shots because of trees. If if a boring wide open hole, I’m throwing a boring, predictable hyzer.
Changing the nose angle is going to turn a hyzer-flip into a flex shot? Can anyone confirm that?

What happens to a shot thrown on anny with a flippy disc if you leave the nose angle up? That would seem to be the right question? IDK.
Old 08-31-2020, 12:34 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 4
Niced 351 Times in 206 Posts
Default Mold minimalism and over marketing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastnav View Post
Changing the nose angle is going to turn a hyzer-flip into a flex shot? Can anyone confirm that?

What happens to a shot thrown on anny with a flippy disc if you leave the nose angle up? That would seem to be the right question? IDK.

Throwing a disc nose up makes it more stable. In your OP, you mentioned that you can’t get a roc to turn over because it’s too stable. So you you throw a less stable disc, nose up, it’s going to act more stable, and flex just like that Roc. Especially if you have a tail wind. Same disc, thrown hard and nose down, will hyzer flip up to flat.
These are all fun things you can try if you really get to know your equipment and aren’t just trying to throw one of your 27 discs flat :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Niced: (2)
Old 08-31-2020, 01:07 PM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 18.6
Courses Played: 41
Niced 1,221 Times in 610 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastnav View Post

First, do you play around lots of trees? I saw you mention it a few posts back. I play around tons.

Kind of, yeah. Then there's added variables like spin control that I won't get into (most players don't possess this much). A beat Cobra can be released on the same hyzer angle and achieve many different flights. Powering up and down of course affects how much turn and fade occurs, but so does the nose angle. My, "turn and never come back" throw with that Cobra is less spin, nose down, higher trajectory - regardless of how hard I throw it. Lower trajectory with a nose up release will still flip to flat, turn, and then fade. Flex shots truly are more forcing over an overstable mold then waiting for the fade to eventually occur. My nose up Cobra example emulates a flex shot, but to split hairs it is not.

Flippy anhyzer is a bit more complicated (well, simple actually). Depending which mold it is and how much anny release you throw with, nose angle may not matter at all regarding fade. An Innova Kite thrown nose up anhyzer will stay in the air longer and travel farther right RHBH. The same disc thrown nose down will "turn and burn" quicker, hitting the ground sooner with less distance in any direction more often than not.

Sure, you could throw it super high to defeat my point I just made but how often does anyone throw a sky anny than isn't for maxD in an open field?

Old 08-31-2020, 01:22 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 17
Niced 258 Times in 148 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GripEnemy View Post
First, do you play around lots of trees? I saw you mention it a few posts back. I play around tons.
I'm in NC, so heavily wooded describes the vast majority of the courses. The closest course to me, AFAIK, that isn't a heavily wooded course is Cedarock (a classic) which is about an hour away and jam packed on weekends. Playing solo at Cedarock feels a little like being the guy at the party who doesn't know anyone there. Fun course, though.

There are a few holes on the UNC course that still run on the old ball golf fairways, but not many. Been a while since I played out there. I should probably give that course another go.

But anyway, most shots around here run into ceiling issues at some point. Heck, I can't even find decent practice fields due to Covid having shut all the athletic fields. Grumble grumble.
Old 08-31-2020, 01:26 PM
Par Member

Niced 74 Times in 40 Posts

I see camps that advocate for "flight minimalism" - only carrying certain discs so that you have to learn different ways to manipulate the throw to achieve different patterns. Then you have the mold minimalists who advocate for the same hand feel.

In the case of the latter, it is personal preference in that to me a verdict/emac/tursas all have similar hand feel.

In the case of the former, I see the value in that, but also see that people following that approach might also not learn flights of a disc like a tursas where I can throw it on a steep hyzer and expect it to have a slow gliding fade that will finish more left than an emac. I think you can learn your discs and still have different flights to give you different options on the course.

Ultimately, we will all tend to go with the disc/shot selection that makes us most comfortable to achieve the desired outcome.

I personally tend toward cycling drivers, not because I think that is the best approach, but because when my Wraith or CD2 changes flight, I add a new one to have the more stable flight path covered.

I do love beating in premium plastic stable and overstable discs because I much prefer premium plastic hand feel, and I personally find I get discs into a desired flight pattern for a long time this way. Nothing beats a perfectly seasoned Wraith or CD2.

On a side note, people throwing DX are just gross.
Old 08-31-2020, 02:37 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 4
Niced 351 Times in 206 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkles View Post

Ultimately, we will all tend to go with the disc/shot selection that makes us most comfortable to achieve the desired outcome.

On a side note, people throwing DX are just gross.
Lol those two comments don’t jive. I throw almost all dx because I like the grip and hand feel. Rocs and Eagle X’s are awesome in DX, and I can control them better than any other mold out there
Also - Philo bags DX Rocs
Barsby bags a DX Eagle and Banshee
Calvin throws a DX Aviarx3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 08-31-2020, 03:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 199
Niced 975 Times in 613 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
I'll I have to say is that I played a tourney this weekend and got a good chuckle out of the McBeth wannabees toting around carts and huge Grip bags around a short woods course while I had 3-4 discs in an Innova standard bag.
I'll bite. You're telling me you played a tournament with four discs?