Old 09-01-2020, 06:43 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.9
Niced 349 Times in 217 Posts

Militant behavior and fanboyism of any kinds are both tiring to bear.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 09-01-2020, 07:05 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 149
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 78 Times in 41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusch_bag View Post
...but end of the day as long as you have every shot covered, who cares.
Agreed - and when you're facing a shot, do you instinctively know which disc to grab? If so, that's a good sign regardless of where you fall on the minimalism scale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusch_bag View Post
...You can't just throw a flat shot on every hole or you are going to be limiting the shots you can perform.
Ouch. So true. I need to get back out to the field.

Old 09-01-2020, 07:18 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 17
Niced 1,470 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keller View Post
That's pretty good!

But I have never seen a gathering of MMM's. They're usually of the lone wolf type.

Trilogy fan boys do like to gather though
True, I played on a card last week with a couple fellas that had their carts loaded with Trilogy. Good dudes and I enjoyed playing with them, though I knew very little about what they were throwing. Most mold minimalists (MM) just do their own thing and don't proclaim it to be the highest and best use of plastic.

Whattup with the new avatar, what happened to Frank?
Old 09-01-2020, 07:33 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 4
Niced 344 Times in 202 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastnav View Post
This is the kind thing I’m talking about in the OP. This kind of attitude.

“Reduce your bag to four discs and whoop the competition of wanna be disc golfers who use more than four discs.”

Presumably what you do is beat much lower rated disc golfers. Congratulations.

Unless you think your ratings are artificially lowered by using four discs. Think about the implications.

The primary 4 disc I throw is a putter, Roc, Eagle, and Banshee. I have probably 30 - 40 disc sitting in boxes in my garage that I’ve added and taken out of the bag. None of them have improved my score. I don’t have the power for much more than an eagle, so a distance driver is kind of pointless. The banshee is my os mid/firebird slot.

I also have small hands, so gripping anything larger than a speed 9 doesn’t go well.

It is satisfying to beat someone pushing around $500 worth of plastic in a cart when I’m carrying 4 discs in my hand. Just like guys who shoot recurve bows enjoy outshooting someone with a fancy compound. Mountain bikers who ride single speed hard tails get a kick out of beating dudes with $5,000 carbon fiber bikes. There’s a satisfaction that comes from using old, reliable technology to outperform people with the latest and greatest. If this type thinking makes me a “militant” then I’ll own it.

Old 09-01-2020, 07:39 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 22
Niced 1,941 Times in 846 Posts

As far as my bag is concerned, I'm not a mold minimalist, I cycle Rocs and Eagles and my cover everything full tournament bag has 14 discs with 9 molds.

I do teach a lot of newer players though and in the beginning I do teach in the "How to build a bag" thread manner as it's the way I finally learned how to play well. But after that, people develop their own style and gravitate towards what fits them. I try to teach shot making versus disc picking, I think it makes one a better overall player.

If ones goal is to get better, limiting discs until one get the fundamentals down and can shape shots I think precedes disc selection. When you have that down, anyone can hand you a random grouping of discs and you'll be able to figure them out pretty easily and still be able to play well.

As far as Frank? People seem to think I'm yelling all the time or that I'm angry, which far from true. Maybe I'll change it back.

Old 09-01-2020, 08:04 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10
Courses Played: 46
Niced 5,165 Times in 2,159 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by armiller View Post
Now I need your in-the-bag for this event!
Dx Aviar (classic), Dx Roc (#3), Star TL3 (this is the superfluous one), Star RR (main driver, OS for the mold but glides for days)
Old 09-01-2020, 08:09 AM
Independent Operator*

Years Playing: 24.2
Courses Played: 531
Niced 984 Times in 349 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keller View Post
As far as my bag is concerned, I'm not a mold minimalist, I cycle Rocs and Eagles and my cover everything full tournament bag has 14 discs with 9 molds.

I do teach a lot of newer players though and in the beginning I do teach in the "How to build a bag" thread manner as it's the way I finally learned how to play well. But after that, people develop their own style and gravitate towards what fits them. I
try to teach shot making versus disc picking, I think it makes one a better overall player.

If ones goal is to get better, limiting discs until one get the fundamentals down and can shape shots I think precedes disc selection. When you have that down, anyone can hand you a random grouping of discs and you'll be able to figure them out pretty easily and still be able to play well.

As far as Frank? People seem to think I'm yelling all the time or that I'm angry, which far from true. Maybe I'll change it back.

This is some of the best advice a new player can get. It has been said a hundred times in a hundred ways. Including this way:

It is the archer, not the arrow. A skilled archer can determine how any arrow flies with just a few shots.

Old 09-01-2020, 12:30 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 43
Niced 19 Times in 14 Posts

I'm pro-minimalist. I cycle Rocs - I think its fun. I play wooded NC courses, so I hit trees and beat my discs in over time. I think an argument can be made for mold minimalism being a method for consistency; however...

I think I better agree with the argument that mold minimalism is a method for appropriate disc selection and total discs in the bag. Do you really need 25 discs to score well on the course? This is just something I've been asking myself lately...

If I cut down on the number of discs I have in my bag, then I'll get to better know the discs I do carry. Those discs will wear quicker, and a newer copy of that mold can be added later to continue the cycle. Additionally, I'll feel more comfortable during a tournament while reaching for a disc (or mold) I throw every round than I do reaching for that disc I throw once every few rounds (or for very unique conditions).

Old 09-01-2020, 01:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,530 Times in 872 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastnav View Post
So, what do you find valid about what I am saying? What am I getting wrong?
Buy used discs more often?

Old 09-01-2020, 02:02 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 4
Niced 344 Times in 202 Posts

So this is the template they used for posting bags over at DGR:
(The discs listed is just as an example. This is mostly to show what slots they thought you needed to fill)

1. Stable Control Drivers
DX Gazelles

2. Distance Drivers
X Avenger

3. Understable Driver
Beat DX Gazelle

4. Moderately Overstable Driver
Z Avenger

5. Very Overstable Driver
E Spirits

Mids:
KC Pro Roc
DX Rocs

Putters:
S Wizards

There’s an article out there where Blake talks about how setting up your bag this way will result in 4-7 different molds.
So going back to the OP...what slots do you feel are missing from this template? I guess I’ve just blindly been following this template, so I’m legitimately curious what slots people are filling when they have 10+ different molds in the bag