* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 40.6
Courses Played: 96
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,180 Times in 830 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdeforge View Post
seeing the pro tour players coming to VT is kinda weird. some seem to be taking quarantine seriously and I really appreciate that! specific shout out to kona panis and colten montgomery. I wish I could say I feel the same about all the players, but I definitely don't.
One of the small things that irritates me is when pro disc golfers get all elitists. It's friggin disc golf you homeless bum.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 09-02-2020, 02:40 AM
Banned

Niced 7 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdeforge View Post
seeing the pro tour players coming to VT is kinda weird. some seem to be taking quarantine seriously and I really appreciate that! specific shout out to kona panis and colten montgomery. I wish I could say I feel the same about all the players, but I definitely don't.
quarantine? are they sick? i would imagine not if they are traveling to play disc golf.
Old 09-02-2020, 05:18 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 9
Niced 251 Times in 110 Posts

More good news for mask wearers:

Old 09-02-2020, 06:06 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 339 Times in 175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by l'alcooltue View Post
quarantine? are they sick? i would imagine not if they are traveling to play disc golf.
https://www.healthvermont.gov/respon...veling-vermont

Quote:
Quarantine is for people with no symptoms who are coming to Vermont from certain out-of-state locations. Quarantine helps prevent the spread of disease before a person knows they are sick or if they are infected with the virus and don’t have symptoms.

Quarantine means staying at a home or dwelling before doing any activities outside of the home, like grocery shopping or getting together with friends or family. People in quarantine should separate themselves from others and check themselves for symptoms. Learn more about quarantine. We strongly encourage anyone in quarantine to sign up for daily symptom check reminders.

If you are visiting Vermont you must quarantine for 14 days, once you arrive. If you have not had any symptoms of COVID-19, the quarantine period may be shortened by having a test on or after day 7 of quarantine, though you must continue to quarantine until you receive a negative test result.
Old 09-02-2020, 09:53 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.1
Courses Played: 5
Niced 1,304 Times in 871 Posts

Well geez that's excellent news! I like the candle demonstration!

Summary is wearing a mask not only protects others, it will protect the wearer as well. It won't stop you from getting the virus but it reduces the viral load and you are less likely to get really sick.

I think he said 95 percent of CoVid infections were asymptomatic in a meat packing plant in Arkansas where masks were mandatory. Reduce the amount of infection, reduce your chances of dying.

Wear a mask and save yourself! Maybe that will get more people masking up!

Niced: (1)
Old 09-02-2020, 10:19 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 145
Niced 1,166 Times in 607 Posts

Yeah, that's something people don't know about viruses. They are like poisons in the sense that the amount of virus affects how sick you are likely to get.
Old 09-02-2020, 11:02 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 74
Niced 861 Times in 319 Posts

I had no idea. I thought there was a threshold of virus particles that would get you sick, and once you hit that, your chances of developing symptoms were determined by genetics, your health & immune function, and whether you were partially immune from a previous coronavirus infection (cold, flu, SARS, MERS). Great news if true.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-02-2020, 11:42 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 145
Niced 1,166 Times in 607 Posts

The only study I read on it was in mice with some other virus. I'm sure it's not so simple as more = always bad, less = not sick, but the evidence suggests it matters. As does common sense - your body only has a set amount of resources. Seems reasonable that the less virus it needs to fight, the better it's chances are.

Disclaimer: I am not an expert.

https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/sars-c...y-of-covid-19/

Quote:
Background

The initial dose of virus and the amount of virus an individual has at any one time might worsen the severity of COVID 19 disease. Viral load is a measure of the number of viral particles present in an individual. Higher SARS-CoV-2 viral loads. might worsen outcomes, and data from China suggests the viral load is higher in patients with more severe disease. The amount of virus exposure at the start of infection – the infectious dose – may increase the severity of the illness and is also. linked to a higher viral load

Healthcare workers can be exposed more often due to numerous infected individuals exposures. In the early stages of an outbreak, initial contacts might not be recognized, particularly contacts with those with mild symptoms, or when the use of protective measures is suboptimal. Reducing the frequency and intensity of exposure to SARs-CoV-2 might reduce the infectious dose and result in less severe cases.

What is the evidence linking viral dose, viral load and the severity of disease?

The evidence suggests an association of viral dose with the severity of the disease. However, the evidence of the relationship is limited by the poor quality of many of the studies, the retrospective nature of the studies, small sample sizes and the potential problem with selection bias.
Old 09-02-2020, 04:59 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 17
Niced 257 Times in 148 Posts

From Kevin Drum (a really good follow for fact-focused news analysis).

We don't need to have so many people dying in the US. We could have followed the path everyone else in the Western world did. We just needed to stay the course back in June and July. It is unfortunate.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg blog_fact_covid_deaths.jpg (106.9 KB, 176 views)

Old 09-08-2020, 03:35 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 7
Niced 1,221 Times in 616 Posts

Got to thinking this weekend......

I think we have an even bigger pandemic in america than COVID. I never realized how widespread severe, mask wearing inhibiting, respiratory issues were. I mean, we are mandated to wear a mask here in WI, unless medically you can not. And yet, a lot of places, compliance is 50% at best. That means severe respiratory issues are afflicting 50% of our population? This is especially troubling in the sub age 30 demographic which seems to be especially hard hit.

Why isn't this front page news???

Obviously, tongue in cheek post. Just annoyed by all the dumb people in the world. Carry on!