Old 09-01-2020, 05:09 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.8
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 237 Times in 143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
I've had talks with pros every year they come through the DFW area. I ask questions like "how do you feel about the growth of the sport", etc, etc. It was always pretty much the same, payouts need to grow, get more fans, etc, etc. In the past 7 years playing I've only skipped 1 year of being a PDGA member due to health concerns, I fully respect what the PDGA has done and is continuing to do for the AM side of the sport. But the pro side is severely under marketed imop. Seems like most ams don't really want their membership dues funding any part of the pro side of the sport. That's the typical mentality I've experienced on this forum at least. Now days I tend to agree with that. Let the PDGA continue to focus on the am side and let's get another organization to handle the pro side of the sport. Some (local) pros I've talked to think the DPGT should become that organization. I can't help think that's part of their long term plan anyway.

Just for clarity I said "The pros need much better overall representation to the public than what the PDGA provides.

The PDGA was founded over...40...years..... ago. If you look at the PDGA web site it looks like a template used for a standard corporate business web presence. When you have time browse pdga.com at https://web.archive.org/. The site hasn't changed that much in a long time. The fact that the PDGA has to answer to both am/pro memberships screams the need for it to divide. Trying to appease both sides will conflict more and more as the pro side grows.
Slightly off-topic, but there are a couple of threads about growing the sport and increasing payouts. Main thing I've seen is why should big companies sponsor disc golf like they do in ball golf? Spectators don't pay to come in and watch...they don't have to buy food/drink/souvenirs from the sponsor. It isn't televised, so the sponsor isn't getting air time. All of that makes it hard for disc golf to get big (non-disc) sponsors...and big payouts.

As for organizations....

PDGA is similar to the USGA as both are the rules folks.
PDGA is similar to the PGA/LPGA as they run tournaments.
NAGDT is the amateur part of disc golf.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 09-01-2020, 06:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.4
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,862 Times in 1,133 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFleming View Post
NAGDT is the amateur part of disc golf.
negative

Old 09-02-2020, 07:38 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 91
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,562 Times in 778 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmxer View Post
I suppose that was intended as a personal attack though I’m not sure why.
Not a personal attack at all.

I feel very strongly that a very small green fee (I pay $110 annually, total, for 5 courses) should be considered by many more parks departments. Some of the appeal of disc golf is the 'free' to play aspect - but I think the sport also needs additional, local investment beyond what taxes pay for. This will also help the volunteer pools that always seem to be only a few of the same people that will do extra course maintenance - the parks department would have a significantly larger budget to allocate funds for work and improvement using the model we have here. All of the money that is raised for daily/annual fees is put back into the courses. The improvements I've seen locally in the 4 years I've been here have been dramatic and very much appreciated.

Old 09-02-2020, 07:47 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 239
Niced 12 Times in 8 Posts

I assume Paul is planning to donate all proceeds from his highest-rated-round-ever disc and his 1050 disc and any other discs that have sold with his name on it in relation to rating?
Old 09-02-2020, 08:18 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.2
Courses Played: 92
Niced 2,518 Times in 1,008 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshmo65 View Post
I assume Paul is planning to donate all proceeds from his highest-rated-round-ever disc and his 1050 disc and any other discs that have sold with his name on it in relation to rating?
Donate to whom? And why?
Old 09-02-2020, 08:19 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 339 Times in 175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshmo65 View Post
not sure if you looked through the original twitter thread, but the top reply is Terry Miller pointing out something similar:

Quote:
TM: I disagree and I wonder if your sponsor disagrees. If everyone feels the same then maybe your sponsor shouldn't cash in every time you hit a new "highest ever rated" mark and subsequently sells merch based upon that.

#JustSayin'

PM: We stopped that at 1060 nearly a year ago with Discraft. They may agree or they may not. I can’t tell if your asking past or current sponsor so I don’t have your answer.
kind of a catty answer by paul lol

Old 09-02-2020, 08:35 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.2
Courses Played: 92
Niced 2,518 Times in 1,008 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdeforge View Post
kind of a catty answer by paul lol
Well it's a catty response to Terry Millers catty tweet. Not sure I would have responded any different.

Niced: (2)
Old 09-02-2020, 09:16 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetherocketguy View Post
Well it's a catty response to Terry Millers catty tweet. Not sure I would have responded any different.
if paul is gonna say "ratings don't matter!" I think it's pretty fair to point out that paul has financially benefitted a number of times by (a sponsor) specifically promoting his rating. terry could've asked a bit differently but that's the gist of it, and instead of a good/reasonable explanation we get this ―\_(ツ)_/―

if he has addressed it in further detail elsewhere, let me know and I'll give it a listen

Niced: (2)
Old 09-02-2020, 09:43 AM
Eagle Member

this was 6 years ago and of course people are allowed to change their minds. but still kinda funny

https://www.innovadiscs.com/team-new...e-1050-rating/

Quote:
PDGA Player Ratings have drawn their fair share of criticism over the years. What are your thoughts on the accuracy of the system?

Paul: I believe the system is pretty accurate. I do think it tends to favor the touring player who is playing a greater number of tournament rounds. It could be that complaints are coming from those with less of a ratings history, which can make a difference.

Old 09-02-2020, 09:47 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 74
Niced 880 Times in 324 Posts

Feeling a bit of a shifting attitude toward Paul lately.