Old 09-11-2020, 10:31 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 32
Niced 744 Times in 450 Posts

2020 most stable Roadrunners? Barsby Star, Flat Champion, other?

Looking for a 9/5/-3ish/1 Roadrunner. Something to hyzer flip where new Sidewinders are too close to Valkyries.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2020, 10:45 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 31
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,054 Times in 497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stable View Post

Looking for a 9/5/-3ish/1 Roadrunner. Something to hyzer flip where new Sidewinders are too close to Valkyries.
Halo, by far. They're pretty much Roadrunners in name only.
Old 09-11-2020, 10:57 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 22
Niced 1,941 Times in 846 Posts

I'd be cautious buying a Roadrunner as of late without seeing it, A lot of them have big weird poptops, not just a large dome, but a popped up center.

I ordered a Barsby, came with the pop top and was more stable than my champ Valk. Went and pawed some new ones in the shop, and half had that weird pop top.

Just a heads up

Old 09-11-2020, 11:21 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 7
Niced 164 Times in 96 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keller View Post
I'd be cautious buying a Roadrunner as of late without seeing it, A lot of them have big weird poptops, not just a large dome, but a popped up center.

I ordered a Barsby, came with the pop top and was more stable than my champ Valk. Went and pawed some new ones in the shop, and half had that weird pop top.

Just a heads up
I had the same experience ordering one directly from him with his chipped tooth stamp on the bottom. Very domey and very overstable for a roadrunner.
Old 09-11-2020, 11:45 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10
Courses Played: 46
Niced 5,175 Times in 2,163 Posts

Yay, Innova QC at work

Niced: (3)
Old 09-11-2020, 11:49 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 140 Times in 97 Posts

I trimmed the flashing off with a razor blade on my new champ 175 RR and it's more like -2/1. It didn't have a lot of flash but it made a nice difference. It was maybe -1/1.5 before. It's flatter, shallow dome.

I think INNova is popping out discs as fast as possible now and are even caring less about QC.
Old 09-11-2020, 12:08 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 7
Niced 164 Times in 96 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmandiscer View Post
I trimmed the flashing off with a razor blade on my new champ 175 RR and it's more like -2/1. It didn't have a lot of flash but it made a nice difference. It was maybe -1/1.5 before. It's flatter, shallow dome.

I think INNova is popping out discs as fast as possible now and are even caring less about QC.
That’s my thought too, but it really doesn’t bother me that much. I personally like the variety of stabilities I can find in one mold. Innova still sells much more plastic than any manufacturer, so it’s hard to really compare the QC. Once another manufacturer starts selling as much as innova, we can probably get a better gauge on if innova’s QC is really that bad, or if that’s just what’s bound to happen when you’re pumping out that many discs and on tight production schedules.
Old 09-11-2020, 12:39 PM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 18.6
Courses Played: 41
Niced 1,221 Times in 610 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stable View Post

Word on the street is Halo's are stupidly stable/overstable. I can speak for other runs. Recently revisited the RR after a very long hiatus, I'm a new man relative to the mold.

Barsby Star>Champ>stock Star>Gstar for sure. I prefer mine flat or flat-ish though I'm fine with my Barsbys...they have a uniquely glidey yet more overstable flight to them than other plastics. What's fun is that it's increased HSS or better put a lack of turn...the fade isn't abrupt at all. Off the shelf for true -3 I'd say Gstar without hesitation. If you plan to work the disc in a bunch and then get your -3, well, it's dependent on how quickly you'll beat one up.

I'm a Champ fan personally, which takes longer to beat, but we all have our feel preferences. FWIW I own old pearlies, regular old and new Champ, and some "jolly launcher" plastic which all varies slightly. I can't recall how far you throw but even the bombers (pending form) can handle a new Gstar. Yes the jolly launchers are my most overstable Champ RRs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keller View Post

Just a heads up
Barsby wanted them that way, a beat one is super glidey and easily manipulated like an, "old freshie" that you've already become accustomed to. Just sayin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
Yay, Innova QC at work
I seldom disagree with you, see above

Last edited by GripEnemy; 09-11-2020 at 12:41 PM.
Old 09-11-2020, 01:01 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 31
Niced 1,054 Times in 497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GripEnemy View Post
Word on the street is Halo's are stupidly stable/overstable.
Barsby Star>Champ>stock Star>Gstar for sure.
Can confirm. I bag a Halo Roadrunner for forehand drives and backhands in mild headwinds. It doesn't turn at all with 320' of power, it's straight-to-fade.

When it came in I thought it was just my noodle arm not getting it up to speed. To test that out I let one of the bigger-armed local guys throw it a couple of times. He threw it on a high anny line with 400' of power, and it flexed out of it 75% of the way there. Ended up 80' left of where he was aiming. He looked at me and said "That's a really nice disc, but it's not a Roadrunner.'

Old 09-11-2020, 03:57 PM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 220
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,591 Times in 831 Posts

Are Halos molding up to be that overstable in general, or is there a ton of flashing adding that stability?