Old 09-11-2020, 05:42 PM
Banned

Niced 7 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by etdefender19 View Post
I don't know anyone who ever died in a plane crash. Plane crashes are obviously fake.

I didn't know anyone who died on 9/11/01. Clearly that's all fake also

so you're saying that plane crashes and planes crashing into buildings aren't really prevalent everyday problems that affect the general population?

agreed.

if the news started telling me they were serious everyday problems i wouldn't believe them.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2020, 06:10 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.1
Courses Played: 5
Niced 1,328 Times in 881 Posts

Yeah I hear BlackBerry has developed a CoVid tracing app or alert system that's totally anonymous and gives you a warning of some sort... from a guy I work with who was at a social distance dinner party with a guy who works for RIM.. Interesting and garbled but as a BlackBerry supporter I trust they will be all over privacy.

As far as case loads and dropping the curve in the last month, seems the most important event was a semi forced mask mandate. Seems like the word from the top down became a consistent "wear a mask" message.

We are seeing our spikes here up to 137 cases a day, highest yet, primarily from summer gatherings and younger folks at nightclubs. Bubble size back to six, nightclubs now shut down... our health officer kinda let people have some freedom and has warned we are tightening up but Halloween is still on and so is school.

Last edited by ThrowaEnvy; 09-11-2020 at 06:14 PM.
Old 09-11-2020, 06:10 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.4
Courses Played: 180
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,476 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by l'alcooltue View Post
if the news started telling me they were serious everyday problems i wouldn't believe them.
If nearly a million people died as a result of plane crashes every six months, would you consider that a serious everyday problem?

To your original question, I know six people personally who had COVID.

One was hospitalized, intubated twice, and died
One was hospitalized, recovered, but retired because of "brain fog"
Two were able to recover at home
Two were mostly asymptomatic and recovered

So does that mean SARS-CoV-2 is real for me and not for you? Schrodinger's virus?

Old 09-11-2020, 06:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.1
Courses Played: 5
Niced 1,328 Times in 881 Posts

SchrodingersVirus!!!

Awesome and so true!

Niced: (3)
Old 09-11-2020, 06:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.3
Courses Played: 127
Niced 5,152 Times in 2,008 Posts

It wins the phrase-of-the-day award.

Niced: (3)
Old 09-11-2020, 07:08 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 0.7
Courses Played: 2
Niced 296 Times in 140 Posts

Quote:
so you're saying that plane crashes and planes crashing into buildings aren't really prevalent everyday problems that affect the general population?

agreed.

this is the problem we face today.

Many have staked out this territory where anything that falsifies their personal belief system is inherently untrue without further evaluation. Subsequent data falls in to one of two categories--anything that agrees with me is true, anything that supports the original thesis is false. I don't need to consider new information.

Yay team!
Old 09-11-2020, 07:16 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG_player View Post
In my opinion there are 2 strategies that seem to have worked:

The first is the one adopted by Australia, NZ, and a number of asian nations. They instituted severe lockdowns to bring the virus down to levels where it could be closely monitored and controlled with tracing. Once they did that they were able to re-open with the caveat that any new outbreaks that pop up would be aggressively controlled and contained. Small targeted severe lockdowns might be necessary, but largely the countries could go on about their business as normal.

The other is Sweden. They decided that a lockdown was not going to work for them and would be unsustainable. They did their best to protect vulnerable populations, and left it up to the rest to make their own personal health decisions. They allowed it to work its way through those who didn't care, or those who made a personal decision about their own risks to themselves and families and decided they were acceptable. Now, at least according to their head epidemiologist, they've achieved a level of immunity where the at risk can now being getting back to normal. (Personally I accept his explanation since I've yet to see a better one)

Most of the states in the U.S. to me appear to be blundering along in the middle with no clear strategy. My particular state (Pennsylvania) adopted probably one of the more severe initial lockdowns in the nation. Which they then followed up with no clear containment strategy. It was as if they believed the NY Times article that if we locked down long enough it would just go away. Now we're in this weird pseudo semi lockdown. Businesses are limited in capacity, some places restaurants are closed, most schools are shutdown, and we still have a concerning daily case load. I mean pick a strategy and make it happen so we can all get back to our lives. About the only thing I think they got right was the mask mandate.
I'm not sure your summation of Sweden's outcome is accurate.

1) I don't think they are doing a lot of testing so their statistics may lack accuracy.
2) I think they killed off a lot of the vulnerable population quickly
3) The people in general are more willing to take precautions without being forced and so the numbers improved for the same reasons numbers improved in other areas that had more stringent restrictions.

I could be wrong.
Old 09-11-2020, 07:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 33
Niced 1,487 Times in 691 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG_player View Post
There's plenty of groupthink to go around on both sides. People on both sides seem bent on their version, with a complete willingness to ignore any data that doesn't support their view.

Take the trajectory of infections. A novel virus released on a virgin population should grow exponentially until one of two things happen, you reach herd immunity, or there is an intervention, either medically or socially. This has been the basis of all the dire projections released early on. Yet here we are in September and things haven't exactly happened as expected. Sweden enacted minimal interventions in March and have done nothing since. Yet their cases have plateaued and plummeted. They are now one of the safest countries to be in europe. Similar trends are observable in the US. Many of the southern states dropped their lockdowns in June. Daily cases predictably began growing exponentially but then unexpectedly plateaued in July and have dropped significantly since then.

This should not happen. It goes against all of the science about the spread of a novel virus. If you don't do anything it should grow exponentially. Have we seen any explanations in any of the media or from any of the covid tsars? Absolutely not. Any reasonable explanation goes weakens the lockdown narrative. We were constantly reminded in the past of why these places were "doing it wrong", yet now when things turn out differently than expected, there is silence.

As an aside, some good news about masks:

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/2020...nst-covid-19#1

Sweden had one of the highest death rates in the world at one point.

It's also not a great comparison with the U.S. as they did enact regulations.

Which their populace actually followed.

Plus Herd Immunity generally doesn't work without a readily available vaccine.

Reported cases in certain regions will of course go down if you stop testing as much.

But please, tell me less.

Niced: (1)

Last edited by DanJon; 09-11-2020 at 07:24 PM.
Old 09-11-2020, 07:26 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 33
Niced 1,487 Times in 691 Posts

Quote:

agreed.

Man, I wonder if we as a nation have done things to prevent plane crashes?

Old 09-11-2020, 07:41 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanJon View Post
Man, I wonder if we as a nation have done things to prevent plane crashes?

there has never been a crash since the wright bros flew 110'.