Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

Old 09-16-2020, 04:58 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 82
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,502 Times in 958 Posts

I play and enjoy all formats. Solid rounds, casual, league and tournaments. The only way I don’t enjoy it is if the course is really bad/dangerous or the people suck. Then I don’t play in those locations/with those people anymore.
Sponsored Links

Old 09-16-2020, 05:13 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 1,102 Times in 423 Posts

Sounds like you need to try another league. I was pretty apprehensive playing leagues last year, but actually ended up having a great time. You can pick up some really good tips from other people you play with too.
Old 09-16-2020, 06:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,577 Times in 883 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampstead View Post
I only play for $.
Easily one of the best ways to get better....faster.

Niced: (2)
Old 09-16-2020, 07:29 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 51
Niced 482 Times in 297 Posts

I really do enjoy just throwing a disc. From in the yard to A-tiers. But I understand the vast majority of discers play recreationally. With that, if I come across someone who is good at the sport, at maybe a rec level, I’d encourage them to try a league. It’s a great way to meet others who enjoy the sport.

Competitively, I think leagues are great. For me, I feel I can measure up to locals, and usually fare pretty well, even winning a few times. But playing with random people, bag tags, competition... it’s all awesome.

Old 09-16-2020, 07:39 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 525
Niced 1,547 Times in 737 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by notapro View Post
How do you know, for sure, if you've never tried?
Well I work evenings, so that takes league out of the question. I think it's on Thursdays.

A playing tourneys would cut into my course bagging. 😉

Old 09-16-2020, 07:43 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 36.9
Courses Played: 2
Niced 167 Times in 104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFleming View Post
In ball golf, the term 'best ball' has been mis-used to identify you and your partner each playing a shot, then picking the 'best' of the two and playing from there. Officially that is called a "scramble" (USGA rules 9c). But that is by the 2019 rules. When I started playing ball golf, "best ball" was officially each team mate playing their own ball and using the best score, while "captain's choice" was each team mate playing a shot, deciding which shot to use (usually the better player would decide, hence captain's choice) and play from there. But somehow, somewhen, captain's choice started being called best ball and it went on from there.
Called that in disc golf. i have never seen a ball golf scramble be called best-ball. That is a disc golf thing.
Old 09-16-2020, 08:54 PM
Par Member

Niced 155 Times in 72 Posts

I first tried league at fifteen. I've always had a decent arm.

It was a handicap league. The league would set the card groups by handicap. My handicap as a fifteen year old was 1 stroke over par.

This put me on a card with 3 ~40 year old guys, and it kicked their fourth buddy off the card. They were never friendly, and were obviously frustrated that I'd broken up their grouping. For all I know, they had had that grouping for years.

After about a six weeks with the group, I bested all three of my card mates by throwing an Eagle on what was our 18th hole due to the shotgun start. It was the only par four pin in play that day. And one of the guys kind of threw a fit about losing to a "kid", which was really unbecoming. It was my first Eagle, and I was pretty pumped, so it really bummed me out to get so much negative energy from my card mates.

Whatever. It was windy that day, I beat my handicap by a couple strokes, won a disc. Won a ctp prize, too- it was a Discraft towel. Got a bunch of dirty looks at the post round huddle when the winners were announced.

He then said some things when my mom came to pick me up.

"Oh look, he can't even drive!!!" Or something like that.

I was being smart and said, "I always out drive you."

And that was my last time ever playing league.

Old 09-16-2020, 09:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 37.4
Courses Played: 250
Niced 4,116 Times in 1,452 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgolfconvert View Post
Called that in disc golf. i have never seen a ball golf scramble be called best-ball. That is a disc golf thing.
"There are a variety of formats used for golf tournaments and outings. A popular one is best ball. This shouldn't be confused with the scramble format, which is sometimes mistakenly referred to as best ball. Both of these formats allow beginning and experienced golfers to compete with each other in a tournament. According to the United States Golf Association, the official Rules of Golf apply to best ball formats as long as they are not at variance with specific rules."

From an article in Golfweek

Niced: (1)
Old 09-16-2020, 09:15 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 18
Niced 48 Times in 26 Posts

I have never been pressured to join the club at my home course. Been asked several times, but not pressured.

Old 09-16-2020, 09:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 30.5
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,153 Times in 969 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFlickLuke View Post
I first tried league at fifteen. I've always had a decent arm.

It was a handicap league. The league would set the card groups by handicap. My handicap as a fifteen year old was 1 stroke over par.

This put me on a card with 3 ~40 year old guys, and it kicked their fourth buddy off the card. They were never friendly, and were obviously frustrated that I'd broken up their grouping. For all I know, they had had that grouping for years.

After about a six weeks with the group, I bested all three of my card mates by throwing an Eagle on what was our 18th hole due to the shotgun start. It was the only par four pin in play that day. And one of the guys kind of threw a fit about losing to a "kid", which was really unbecoming. It was my first Eagle, and I was pretty pumped, so it really bummed me out to get so much negative energy from my card mates.

Whatever. It was windy that day, I beat my handicap by a couple strokes, won a disc. Won a ctp prize, too- it was a Discraft towel. Got a bunch of dirty looks at the post round huddle when the winners were announced.

He then said some things when my mom came to pick me up.

"Oh look, he can't even drive!!!" Or something like that.

I was being smart and said, "I always out drive you."

And that was my last time ever playing league.

Niced: (2)