Old 07-28-2020, 05:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 944 Times in 729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastnav View Post
Did you actually mean flex here?

I throw my Saphires on flex lines all the time and I get about 270'-300' out of them. More dump on the Opto, less on the Gold.

I definitely can’t flip them up out of a hyzer though, or keep them turned over, but they throw flex lines well for me.

Maybe I just don’t know the lingo though?
I was throwing it anny, purposely trying to torque it over.

My Sapphire won't flip up out of a hyzer either, no matter how hard I throw it. Once I get the disc over, it'll stay. Its in no hurry to fade out.

My Sapphire has a very elegant fade too. It picks up good distance as it slowly tails off left.

This disc will handle all the arm I have.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2020, 07:19 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 17
Niced 258 Times in 148 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
I was throwing it anny, purposely trying to torque it over.

My Sapphire won't flip up out of a hyzer either, no matter how hard I throw it. Once I get the disc over, it'll stay. Its in no hurry to fade out.

My Sapphire has a very elegant fade too. It picks up good distance as it slowly tails off left.

This disc will handle all the arm I have.
Oh, gotcha.

With 300 feet of power it’s definitely more overstable than that, although the Gold plastic holds the anny much longer. The Opto one is better for those tight, quick flexes that I sometime have to throw, where it will fight back after 125-150 feet.
Old 07-28-2020, 07:44 PM
Par Member

Niced 46 Times in 34 Posts

Wish my Opto and Opto Chameleon Sapphires were as stable as described, because I'd still be bagging them. I found them as flippy as my lighter weight Shrykes, only less distance.
Old 07-28-2020, 08:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 62
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 345 Times in 214 Posts

I have a GL that has become probably the longest disc in my bag. It sure is fun to throw.

Niced: (1)
Old 07-28-2020, 09:10 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedraven View Post
Wish my Opto and Opto Chameleon Sapphires were as stable as described, because I'd still be bagging them. I found them as flippy as my lighter weight Shrykes, only less distance.
If I were throwing a Shryke the way I'm throwing this Sapphire it would be corkscrewing into the ground.

My particular Sapphire is deceptively beefy.

I've had almost no luck with lightweight Shrykes. I love the mold overall, but they're practically unusable if you drop below 165g.
Old 07-29-2020, 01:45 PM
Par Member

I bag extremely Domey Shrykes, so they got some stability to them even at 160g.

On the other hand, I'm realizing that Latitude's goldline plastic breaks in pretty fast. My 160g Goldline Ballista Pro has become seemingly more understable than my 168g Opto Destiny from my couple throws with them in my round this morning.
Old 07-30-2020, 10:37 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedraven View Post
I bag extremely Domey Shrykes, so they got some stability to them even at 160g.

On the other hand, I'm realizing that Latitude's goldline plastic breaks in pretty fast. My 160g Goldline Ballista Pro has become seemingly more understable than my 168g Opto Destiny from my couple throws with them in my round this morning.
I agree about gold line plastic. Nice stuff, and it flies great new. However, it wears in way faster than you'd like. Kinda reminds me of Innova pro.

I like all my long distance drivers to have dome. It seems to make them fly a bit more stable and glide better.
Old 09-09-2020, 02:21 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 31
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,053 Times in 496 Posts

After 6 months in the bag, the Gold Line Sapphire has become my go-to distance driver. I consistently get more distance from it than any other disc I've tried. I normally max out around 330', but yesterday I managed to push this thing out to 360' with a baby hyzer that flipped over and gave me an S-flight, landing dead-center fairway. That's a new distance record for me on flat ground with no wind. And to do it on a golf line during a competitive round is extra satisfying.

I really hope these are kept in production. The conventional wisdom is that there's no magic disc, but the Gold Line Sapphire really does make a difference in my game.

Old 09-19-2020, 02:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Default Sapphire

OK, time to briefly revisit the Sapphire again. I still have just the 1. Opto Chameleon plastic, 157g.

I hadn't thrown this disc in a couple months.

Just wow. My initial thoughts on this disc haven't changed. Even after taking a month off of throwing I was mashing this thing 450' easily. The Sapphire is simply idiotproof. Its like a distance driver with training wheels. I just throw it hard and flat and it has the same, slow, straight flight every time. I never get really bad shots with it. The disc won't flip over, and it doesn't fade hard enough to really exacerbate a bad toss.

The Sapphire will absorb all the arm I have, and unless I purposely torque it over it won't flip. At full power I see a very gradual turn, which the disc holds for a very long time. The glide is exceptional and the late fade is soft/gradual.

The Sapphire will fly as far as anything out there. In the field today it was neck and neck with my G* Corvette, a Katana, and others. For being only speed 10 the Sapphire doesn't lose any distance at all.

My only dis on the Sapphire is that the light weight of the thing causes me to occasionally grip lock it. Other than that this disc is the real deal. Its a lightweight disc that behaves like something much heavier. The Sapphire absorbs big rips with ease and responds with glidey bombs.

One other thing I found today is that the Sapphire stands up to headwinds fairly decent. Not anything gusty, but I put this disc straight into a headwind multiple times and it flexed out nicely without flipping.

There isn't a single disc on the market from any other manufacturer that flies like this. The Sapphire reminds me of a Heat, but is nowhere near as flippy.

Niced: (1)

Old 09-24-2020, 07:09 AM
Par Member

Latitude 64 factory store has those White Opto Burst Bar stamped Sapphires up for sale! They look like the prototypes that were sent out to early reviewers to try out. I ordered one just because it looks so pretty, also because it'd be cool if it turns out as stable as the prototypes were reported to be.