Old 09-19-2020, 10:36 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 40.6
Courses Played: 96
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,257 Times in 865 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

Imo you need to go down a step or two in stability. Depending on wind speed, more wind then more under stable. Sometimes that's a lower speed and sometimes it's not.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2020, 11:59 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,448 Times in 603 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmxer View Post
This is something I was thinking as well. I played a low ceiling course Thursday and it seems everything was nose up. The more I tried to correct the worse it seemed to get.

I will work on that for sure.

I don’t really understand how to get height and nose down though.
Grip and wrist angle.
Ogre is right...nose up and tailwind means the wind is pushing the flight plate down. Nose down and the wind gets under the disc and lifts/pushes it.
Old 09-19-2020, 12:23 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 1,105 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
This is something I was thinking as well. I played a low ceiling course Thursday and it seems everything was nose up. The more I tried to correct the worse it seemed to get.

I will work on that for sure.

Speaking for me, the difference was getting all the weight on my plant foot during the swing.
Old 09-19-2020, 01:40 PM

Courses Played: 46
Niced 17 Times in 14 Posts

We don't usually have many windy days, so I have to ask what causes discs to go into sudden anhyzer/roller angle in midflight on constant 15+ mph tailwind. I got my understable ballistas that I'd want to use for tailwind hyzerflip shots, but I can't stop them doing that uncontrollable flight change. It's like something hits them hard after they go from hyzer to flat and try to glide.
Old 09-19-2020, 01:48 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 146 Times in 101 Posts

Especially if you don't throw far (under 350) then you should be looking to go to less speed and less stability. So if you say normally throw a Pro Wraith go to a Star Sidewinder to get similar results. If you throw 300? Maybe you are throwing Sidewinder type already. Go to a flippy midrange then like Stingray or Meteor. If you are not necessarily getting discs "up to speed" you are likely to not throw any further downwind if you don't throw far already.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-19-2020, 02:45 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 0.7
Courses Played: 2
Niced 323 Times in 157 Posts

300ish with a beat in wraith. I am still seeing incremental improvement in distance.

I’ve realized my footwork is terrible. I think I should be throwing slower discs regardless. My throw is mostly strong arm so I’ve got a lot to work on.

I have an escape and a truth that I like to throw that I think are more appropriate for my speed.
Old 09-19-2020, 03:07 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,584 Times in 885 Posts

Quote:
This took me a while to get as well. Think more along the lines of the disc pointing level in the line it's moving. If a disc is traveling at an angle of say 2:00, the disc itself should be pointing 2:00. If it's traveling at 2:00 but the disc is pointed at 1:00 the disc is nose up. The biggest problem weaker arms have with throwing high is the disc stalls out before the apex where it turns over so the disc never gets the advantage of the tail wind pushing the disc.

Simon Lizotte was at Bicentennial course (Crowley, Tx) a few years back and he threw some 360 bombs for myself and a few friends. He talked in detail what was going on. It was crazy to see in person. Literally throwing discs so high..on a strong hyzer... they would flip and turn over just about at the highest point and then glide nose down forever AND get extra d at the end as they faded back. If the disc didn't turn over they would stall and fade out quickly, if they did turn over they would glide forever. He would even say "300, 350, 450, 500" instantly as they came out of his hand because he knew if he had the right snap on them to turn over. I can't stress enough...how amazingly high he was throwing these discs. Granted...these were the classic "world record long distance" throws and not your typical disc golf drives, but it was fricking amazing to witness in person.
Old 09-19-2020, 04:59 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 36.9
Courses Played: 2
Niced 169 Times in 104 Posts

Super light Blizzard Katana or Boss depending on the exact wind.
Old 09-19-2020, 05:36 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 1,105 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
This took me a while to get as well. Think more along the lines of the disc pointing level in the line it's moving. If a disc is traveling at an angle of say 2:00, the disc itself should be pointing 2:00. If it's traveling at 2:00 but the disc is pointed at 1:00 the disc is nose up. The biggest problem weaker arms have with throwing high is the disc stalls out before the apex where it turns over so the disc never gets the advantage of the tail wind pushing the disc.

Simon Lizotte was at Bicentennial course (Crowley, Tx) a few years back and he threw some 360 bombs for myself and a few friends. He talked in detail what was going on. It was crazy to see in person. Literally throwing discs so high..on a strong hyzer... they would flip and turn over just about at the highest point and then glide nose down forever AND get extra d at the end as they faded back. If the disc didn't turn over they would stall and fade out quickly, if they did turn over they would glide forever. He would even say "300, 350, 450, 500" instantly as they came out of his hand because he knew if he had the right snap on them to turn over. I can't stress enough...how amazingly high he was throwing these discs. Granted...these were the classic "world record long distance" throws and not your typical disc golf drives, but it was fricking amazing to witness in person.
I’m not a form expert but for work I’ve got enough aerodynamics knowledge that “nose up” vs “throwing high” is easy to understand. Applying it to the swing...yeah. About that.

Old 09-19-2020, 06:53 PM

Years Playing: 1.2
Courses Played: 15
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 22 Times in 10 Posts

I'm just now starting my 2nd year in Disc Golf and one of my goals is to learn to play the wind better! This past year I started with any type of down wind slamming my disc to the ground. But, as my form improved and I had a better understanding of disc selection, my down wind throws started improving by keeping a low flight off of the ground to avoid the wind. Using Valkyrie Pro, Destroyer, and a Shryke. But, for the past several weeks I've discovered that throwing up into the air, I can get more distance! I've done this with a Star Valkyrie, Mamba Echo, Leopard3, and a Thunderbird. So, I've done a lot of experimenting! Still trying to grasp aerodynamics of downwind throws.
Monday in Virginia Beach were expecting 20 to 30 mph hour winds with gusts up to 40. I plan on playing Munden Point which has a handful of open tee pads, and will be the first time I've played in those type of winds since April. The good news, is my form has improved dramatically since then I plan on parking myself a few times and emptying out my bag to experiment, and I just picked up a Wraith, Hades, and a Pig, so I'm curious with those discs.
So, I think it takes Patience, form improvement, wind knowledge, disc selection, and experimenting. Perhaps I'm missing something else? Also, my best distance is into the wind (love those air bounces), even better than no wind. That's been a head scratcher. In ball golf, it wasn't this complicated.