Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

Old 09-19-2020, 08:02 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 3
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 255 Times in 124 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojorooks View Post
We had a guy this past year that played through solo every league night. We just got used to seeing him and letting him play through. He always played 2 disc rounds and was quick about it.

Not every league group is nice to the solo players. The jerk I had mentioned in an earlier post went off on some guys that cut in front of us because we were taking too long. I let him know that they had every right to be there as we did. League doesn't pay for private access to the course so we need to leave people alone.
There is not really any point to try to play where I'm talking about. It is a 9 hole course with about 15 groups for league.

And I'm totally fine with that. I actually want them to have leagues. I'd probably come to their league if I were unemployed.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2020, 08:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 335
Niced 621 Times in 299 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrosscrx View Post
There is not really any point to try to play where I'm talking about. It is a 9 hole course with about 15 groups for league.

And I'm totally fine with that. I actually want them to have leagues. I'd probably come to their league if I were unemployed.

daaaang! that sucks. is it Farragut? how far is it to drive to The Claytons from there?
Old 09-19-2020, 08:52 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 3
Niced 255 Times in 124 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadlock86 View Post
daaaang! that sucks. is it Farragut? how far is it to drive to The Claytons from there?
Yup. Maybe 15 minutes? In the opposite direction of where I live and where I work.

I just don't have a ton of time after work, so I really want to play compact 9 hole courses close to home.

I love Victor Ashe and it is close to me and it is somewhere with enough room that casuals and leagues can share, but it is also so spread out that you waste a lot of key daylight time walking hole to hole.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-20-2020, 09:52 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 15
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 20 Times in 12 Posts

Main reason I don't play in weekly league is that it takes far too long for a single round. Friend who I DG with plays in them fairly often and keeps saying how it's 2,5 to 3 hours for a single round (18-hole course), pretty much without fail. In comparison, we played two rounds yesterday, it took just over 2 hours for two rounds, 36 holes total. No interest in spending more time for a single round than we regularly do two rounds in.

Old 09-20-2020, 10:15 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 348 Times in 181 Posts

main reason I don't play in leagues anymore is covid has revealed a lot of the participants in my area to be the kind of people I don't want to spend my free time associating with. However, I'm glad I joined leagues when I first started to play as it definitely expanded my horizons and made me some friends I still have to this day. I still know when most of the leagues are going on in my area and I would never think about showing up to the course at that time and expect to get a normal or even normal-ish round in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamtheMan View Post
Main reason I don't play in weekly league is that it takes far too long for a single round. Friend who I DG with plays in them fairly often and keeps saying how it's 2,5 to 3 hours for a single round (18-hole course), pretty much without fail. In comparison, we played two rounds yesterday, it took just over 2 hours for two rounds, 36 holes total. No interest in spending more time for a single round than we regularly do two rounds in.
also this. at my last league group let's say we have 8 groups playing. every single time, 5 or 6 of those cards are waiting on the last few to finish for a pretty long time. I've waited 20-30 minutes multiple times, gets to the point we break out the practice basket and play a few games of horse. I just don't, and probably never will, understand how some of those groups are taking so long!!

Last edited by robdeforge; 09-20-2020 at 10:17 AM.
Old 09-20-2020, 11:58 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 146 Times in 101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdeforge View Post
main reason I don't play in leagues anymore is covid has revealed a lot of the participants in my area to be the kind of people I don't want to spend my free time associating with. However, I'm glad I joined leagues when I first started to play as it definitely expanded my horizons and made me some friends I still have to this day. I still know when most of the leagues are going on in my area and I would never think about showing up to the course at that time and expect to get a normal or even normal-ish round in.

also this. at my last league group let's say we have 8 groups playing. every single time, 5 or 6 of those cards are waiting on the last few to finish for a pretty long time. I've waited 20-30 minutes multiple times, gets to the point we break out the practice basket and play a few games of horse. I just don't, and probably never will, understand how some of those groups are taking so long!!
Smoking breaks every few holes maybe, I know I've played with my fair share of really slow players, to the point I could call 30 seconds on them for every shot just about. Pair a couple of them together and boom. Then lose a disc and look for 15 minutes. Bam. There is a half hour easy.

Old 09-20-2020, 01:33 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 0.7
Courses Played: 2
Niced 323 Times in 157 Posts

You guys average playing 18 holes in an hour?

Ah to be young again.

Niced: (3)
Old 09-20-2020, 04:08 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 15
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 20 Times in 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmxer View Post
You guys average playing 18 holes in an hour?

Ah to be young again.
Well, when there is nobody ahead of you, what's the holdup? Also, is 40+ considered young these days?

Old 09-20-2020, 06:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 30.5
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,160 Times in 971 Posts

18 holes in under an hour sounds like a short course. If I'm playing, I want to spend some time doing it. I don't mean playing slow as a sloth, I enjoy long, challenging courses. 2-3 hour rounds are totally fine with me. Heck, I've played 5 hour tournament rounds. If the weather is nice, not many places I'd rather be.

Old 09-20-2020, 07:02 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 0.7
Courses Played: 2
Niced 323 Times in 157 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamtheMan View Post
Well, when there is nobody ahead of you, what's the holdup? Also, is 40+ considered young these days?
it is if you are 50+! lol. I'm a much different person today (mostly my own fault).

3 minutes per whole isn't that much time IMO.