Old 09-19-2020, 12:13 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 0.6
Courses Played: 2
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 242 Times in 114 Posts
Default Throwing with a Tail wind

The wind blows here pretty regularly. Kind of drives me nuts at times, but it is what it is.

What I’m trying to figure out is how to take advantage of a 5-10 mph tail wind. 5-10 mph is a guess, but it’s enough wind to feel, but when I start walking with the wind i barely feel it. I know angle matters, but tonight it was pretty much directly behind me.

This is common. But it seems to kill my throws. I haven’t reached big distance, but it seems like I get no glide.

I’m thinking I should disc down in speed.

Any advice? How do I take advantage of a tail wind?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2020, 12:55 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 41 Times in 32 Posts

I've found success by discing down 1-2 speed and throwing about 20 feet in the air on a slight flex line. As it flexes out the wind will push it a bit.
Old 09-19-2020, 01:08 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 17.3
Courses Played: 25
Niced 1,145 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmxer View Post
The wind blows here pretty regularly. Kind of drives me nuts at times, but it is what it is.

What I’m trying to figure out is how to take advantage of a 5-10 mph tail wind. 5-10 mph is a guess, but it’s enough wind to feel, but when I start walking with the wind i barely feel it. I know angle matters, but tonight it was pretty much directly behind me.

This is common. But it seems to kill my throws. I haven’t reached big distance, but it seems like I get no glide.

I’m thinking I should disc down in speed.

Any advice? How do I take advantage of a tail wind?

I do on wide open shots by using a US disc like a Valkyrie for 5-15 mph with the Champion Glow I have and then for higher winds like 20-30 mph on tail wind on same wide open shots use a Dragon due to the push a lightweight Valkyrie mold can get. The Archon I could too do tailwind with my star but that mold due to higher speed can handle headwind especially my very low glide Champion yet still be US flight path that the Champion Archon handle the winds past 30 mph in headwind all due to the glide being like a 2 on the Champion plastic for the Valkyrie.
Old 09-19-2020, 03:35 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 335
Niced 614 Times in 297 Posts

throw something less stable. a tail wind makes the disc behave more stable so a less stable disc will stay in the air longer. try hyzerflipping a leopard or valkyrie, or something similar.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-19-2020, 04:16 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,530 Times in 872 Posts

ugh..the dreaded 5-10mph direct tail wind. 15+mph I can work with.. but a 5-10 is a pita due to it's just not fast enough for weaker arms (like me) to take advantage of. In this scenario I'm throwing understable mids or putters and if I get out to 275+ I'm thrilled. But....if the tail wind is also moving left or right, I'm throwing drivers to take advantage of the flight plate pushing the disc and I expect much further distance.

Niced: (2)
Old 09-19-2020, 06:56 AM
Birdie Member

I haven’t really done much with mids yet. Will need to look into that.

I hate practicing in wind because I don’t know what it means—other than this tail wind that smushes everything! I don’t have enough experience or confidence to know that a throw is something particular in a given wind situation and it wasn’t just my bad (or good) throw.

I guess there are worse problems to have.
Old 09-19-2020, 08:27 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 1,086 Times in 418 Posts

Throw something under stable and DONT THROW NOSE UP. If you throw nose up with a light tailwind like that you’ll stall-fade and get no distance. Note that throwing nose up is not the same as throwing high-throwing a little higher might be helpful, but throwing nose up will kill your distance.

Old 09-19-2020, 08:48 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.1
Courses Played: 23
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 166 Times in 84 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmxer View Post
I haven’t really done much with mids yet. Will need to look into that.
Haha, thats funny. I started out throwing drivers too. It actually does make sense at first. My logic was I wanted to get used to one disc at a time not 3 or 4. I used to put with drivers too. I feel like I made more putts but when I missed I SAILED past the basket, LOL. I had a putter for a long time that I hated.

Then I finally got a mid and got used to it. I was putting with mids for a long time too. Finally I did research and bought 3 of same putter mold and made the change.

Old 09-19-2020, 09:18 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 53
Niced 433 Times in 263 Posts

I disc down and throw a little higher.

Old 09-19-2020, 10:14 AM
Birdie Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Ogre View Post
Throw something under stable and DONT THROW NOSE UP. If you throw nose up with a light tailwind like that you’ll stall-fade and get no distance. Note that throwing nose up is not the same as throwing high-throwing a little higher might be helpful, but throwing nose up will kill your distance.
This is something I was thinking as well. I played a low ceiling course Thursday and it seems everything was nose up. The more I tried to correct the worse it seemed to get.

I will work on that for sure.

I don’t really understand how to get height and nose down though.