Old 10-18-2018, 07:14 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 305 Times in 202 Posts
Default Straight Trilogy Mids

Hey dudes,

Looking at Trilogy mid lineups - assuming I'm throwing a Warrant for turnovers, what are the pros and cons of say, the sling, warship, compass, the straight truthy discs... I would probably cap off this mid lineup with a verdict or pine.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2018, 08:19 PM
I Don't Actually Disc Golf

Courses Played: 8
Niced 1,214 Times in 966 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexplz View Post
Hey dudes,

Looking at Trilogy mid lineups - assuming I'm throwing a Warrant for turnovers, what are the pros and cons of say, the sling, warship, compass, the straight truthy discs... I would probably cap off this mid lineup with a verdict or pine.
Pine sounds good. Compass was kind of 'meh' for me. I haven't tried a Sling, but some people I saw throwing it on my home course said they liked it.
Old 10-18-2018, 08:20 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 4 Times in 3 Posts

Pine + Warship is my preferred midrange combination. You can beat in an Origio Warship and cover just about everything with those two molds.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 48
Niced 592 Times in 419 Posts

Evidence or Claymore would be my choice. I bought my first Evidence for no good reason at all. It's now my most used mid.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:45 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1.1
Courses Played: 15
Niced 68 Times in 47 Posts

Verdict/Emac Truth/Truth are going to have the same hand feel as your Warrants. That's a pretty big perk if you're set on the Warrant for turnovers. I don't have experience with most of the mids you mentioned though, so I really can't give any comparative analysis. I will say that I'm loving the Verdict/Emac Truth combo a ton more than the RocX3/Roc3's that they kicked out of my bag. The shallow rim makes them much easier to grip and rip, and they hold up really well in the wind for mids. For a straight mid, my Lucid Emac flies on a frozen rope with gentle but reliable fade. I've got a Bio Emac that had some turn straight out of the box and results in a pretty neutral flight overall. Take that with a grain of salt though, since I don't have much experience with Lat64 & Westside mids.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:07 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 6.9
Courses Played: 66
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 606 Times in 433 Posts

Truth and Warship are great depending on your atm speed.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:25 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
Evidence or Claymore would be my choice. I bought my first Evidence for no good reason at all. It's now my most used mid.
Thinking of trying both, do you use multiple plastics? TIA
Old 10-19-2018, 11:36 AM
Par Member

Niced 15 Times in 12 Posts

Standard Truth(5:5:-1:1)or Evidence in fusion plastic. Prime (base) plastics tend to be more understandable.

Have noth thrown Compass yet.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:56 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 6
Niced 207 Times in 138 Posts

I've never thrown a Warrant or a Sling. I have an Evidence i've picked up and will use on a course that I need to really go right. Right off the shelf it flew more like a Verdict than anything but has gained more and more turn as i've used it and is now a great turnover disc. Generally for turnovers I use a Seasoned Truth, but this disc thrown a bit less power or hyzerflipped does go very very straight.

My first verdict started off very OS but seasoned to a place it is almost interchangeable with a lot of my EmacTruths. No longer good in a headwind and has a very nice big S turn to the flight, not straight OS anymore though. I have a new one and fresh I like it more than the Pine. Verdict is a bit longer and a bit more forward and deeper fade.

Pine and Compass I use a LOT. Most of the other Trilogy mids I throw have the blunt nose and these like the Claymore are more rounded. I find they all feel similar, beadless and a bit shallow. Compass starts out nice and stable/OS, and seasons to just straight. I feel both the Pine and Compass require a bit more power than most Trilogy mids but they also accept that power and fly really well with it.

Claymores are weird for me. TC challenge one started out nice and glidey but seasoned quickly but still reliable. I picked up a 2nd run Gold line and the thing was uselessly flippy. I gave up trying again. Core feels like the exact same disc to me and very similar experience with that mold.

Truth v. EmacTruth I Have a bunch of emacs that I only throw in the field now. They are great discs but seems like everything they can do is better with a specific disc. They do maintain fade as they season and glide just gets better over time but just don't quite work in my bag.
Regular Truth is awesome though. My main one has seasoned into something that is very much like a Comet. Can be thrown easy for a ton of glide and distance. Put on a hyzer or anhyzer it will hold it. Seems to fly better with less power.

Warship I had one and a great disc I couldn't figure out when to throw. Tweener distance. It is like my regular Truth but longer. Not stable enough to take too much more power so just an easy throw to go a really long way. Again great disc I can't seem to fit in my bag. I would have to look at the numbers on infinite IIRC it has similar rim width and depth as the Truth but to me it felt deeper... if reality says it isn't I don't know just felt that way.

Most of my Trilogy mids are Opto/Lucid/VIP but I have some Fusion/GL and a Classic Truth/Emac.

I would suggest a Lucid Truth / Verdict Combo for your needs. Though I love the Compass it doesn't seem to be getting the same love from others on a lot of these threads.

Old 10-19-2018, 12:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 48
Niced 592 Times in 419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceALot View Post
Thinking of trying both, do you use multiple plastics? TIA
In mids in general? Yes. For Evidence, just Fuzion. My Verdict and EMac Truth are Lucid.