Old 07-26-2018, 08:02 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 26 Times in 15 Posts
Default Backhand Form Rebuild Journey

Hey all, I've been a super casual player for about 6 years. I decidedly recently to start working on my form. I've consumed a huge amount of information over the past couple weeks but I'm having a hard time prioritizing what I should be working on.

I'm currently throwing standstill only with midranges and fairway drivers. My biggest problem has been discs shanking hard right on RHBH drives,sometimes resulting in so much unintentional anhyzer I get rollers. Lately I've been focusing on keeping my elbow up and pulling on a straight line. I did build a mobius line puller recently as well.

I decided the best course of action was to film a couple throws and get some advice from the more experienced players here. I filmed several shots because I feel like my form is very inconsistent throw to throw. These throws were all meant to be released flat. Please let me know what you think I should focus on and what I am doing right.I know my form is god awful so enjoy.

Sponsored Links

Last edited by ponder; 07-26-2018 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Don't put the whole URL in youtube tag, only this gibberish after v=.... Rc8JfmFrNBg
Old 07-26-2018, 08:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 215
Niced 1,771 Times in 1,149 Posts

You are trying to power your arm from the rear leg. Your arm/disc is swinging before your front foot is planted in the ground.

Rear leg needs to move your weight forward to front leg to power swing. Then swing on firmly planted front foot.

Note how my rear leg is kicked inward and weightless from ground, so the lower spine is accelerated ahead of the upper spine from underneath - ground up in tilted spiral. Note how your rear leg is outward, and still weighted on ground pushing the upper spine over top the lower and your are leaning back/arching back so you have no forward tilted compression/tilted spiral.

Niced: (1)

Last edited by sidewinder22; 07-26-2018 at 08:40 PM.
Old 07-28-2018, 05:14 PM
Bogey Member

First of all, thank you very much for taking your time to critique my throw,and for producing these wonderfully educational videos. I watched through the videos and think I have a pretty good understanding of what I am trying to accomplish.

Now I just need to figure out how to incorporate these drills into my regular training. Do you any advice about how to do that? What do you suggest for frequency and volume? Should I video myself doing the drill and post it here? Are there any bad habits in other aspects of my form that may develop doing this drill that I should look out for?
Old 07-29-2018, 11:58 AM
* Ace Member *

The drills should be exaggerating a feeling you need to integrate into your form. I'd spend 30-60 mins couple times a week or so on them. I would video them and post to check for errors. If the drills are done correctly I don't see them creating any bad habits.

Niced: (1)

Last edited by sidewinder22; 07-29-2018 at 12:00 PM.
Old 08-02-2018, 03:30 PM
Bogey Member

My first session with the one leg drill was super discouraging. However, I just got back from my second session today and it seemed a lot more fruitful. Things were clicking better and overall I just felt more balanced and smooth.

I do have a few questions though. When setting up in the one leg drill what position should my knee be in relation to my foot and hip? Should my weight be balanced on the ball of my foot or my heel?
Old 08-02-2018, 09:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
My first session with the one leg drill was super discouraging. However, I just got back from my second session today and it seemed a lot more fruitful. Things were clicking better and overall I just felt more balanced and smooth.

I do have a few questions though. When setting up in the one leg drill what position should my knee be in relation to my foot and hip? Should my weight be balanced on the ball of my foot or my heel?
You should be in tall/upright neutral joint alignment and dynamically stacked like you are getting ready to squat a bunch of weight. Your heel should be bolted into the ground, so your ankle supports all your weight, there should be significant pressure in the instep as well to maintain balance, even if you lift your toes(instep/ball still down) inside your shoe slightly which should automatically pivot you centered on heel when you swing through.

I see a lot of people trying to squat setting up in One Leg Drill which is incorrect. The correct setup feeling in the leg is stupidly upright and weird or foreign - most people have never felt anything close to this in their swing. The squatting down and up happens during the swing, not the setup although you can be bouncy in setup, should not be or feel stiff. There should be the least amount of tension possible in your leg muscles setting up, just like military standing at attention but one leg - and definitely do not lock out the knee, should be slightly flexed. If you set up squatted your quads are going to tense and start burning after a bit.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:59 PM
Bogey Member

Definitely been slacking on my drills and form work for the past couple of months. My distance and accuracy has improved quite a bit though. Driving 225-300' now. Going to try and film a new form check soon ish. I had a quick question though. I've been strictly practicing stand still throws for 4 months now and I feel like it may be holding me back. How do I know when to start incorporating an x-step or 1 step throws? Is this something that I should base off of my form/consistency? Or the distance I am throwing? I feel like the stand still drives are really hard on my body when doing high volume field work or throwing more powerful throws. Maybe this is due to a form issue though.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:44 PM
* Ace Member *

I would say you still are having issues getting on your front leg to swing from. My friend shattered both ankles and was driving 400'+ throwing exclusively from one leg drill. Nothing wrong with some variety in practice, but thing is it's easier to maintain some semblance of posture and balance the faster you move, but it doesn't fix the fundamental issue, but may ease the stress of poor posture and balance compared to standstill. If you move in slow motion, you are always in balance. If you feel like you have to move fast you are out of balance.

Old 10-12-2018, 03:17 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,650 Times in 1,103 Posts

I would not ignore X-step throws if your intention is to eventually throw that way. It is a muscle memory and tempo thing, so incorporate that so you are able to transition between working on standstill/one step and then to an X-step while maintaining a similar finish and throw feeling.

However I do find it's easier to make changes to my throw in a standstill, since I can really focus on what I'm doing. I just accept I might have a distance loss, but I usually have a gain in efficiency. I do feel that the load and overall motion can be a little easier/smoother sometimes with a low to medium effort X-step added in though, as the steps help you load and move down the line.

The more you work on both the easier you can transition between them without needing to think about it too much.

Old 10-18-2018, 10:11 PM
Bogey Member

Got out to the field to film the 1 leg drill finally. Am I setting up and performing the drill properly? It's crazy, 3 months in and my scores and distance have improved drastically and my form hasn't improved one bit.