Old 01-28-2019, 07:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 32
Niced 515 Times in 319 Posts

Just received my Proto Luna in the mail & got some putting in with it before dark. First impressions only putting:

1. It feels a lot like a Jawbreaker Roach. It is a touch more shallow &, of course, the plastic is more firm.

2. This plastic blend does have a 'crayon' feel to it & did feel very slick out of my hand. A lot of firm putters have that initial slickness that tapers off over time but this thing is real slick right now.

3. Noticeably more stable than my JB Roach. Not sure if that's just because of the firm plastic or more the difference in shape. I appreciate that extra stability on this one because I like to putt flat more than on a hyzer.

I included a side by side with a Roach. Roach on the left / Luna on the right. Really happy with the Luna so far. Time will tell.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190128_183350.jpg (138.3 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190128_183927.jpg (124.1 KB, 79 views)
Sponsored Links

Last edited by Stable; 01-28-2019 at 07:58 PM.
Old 01-29-2019, 03:53 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 756 Times in 647 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stable View Post
Just received my Proto Luna in the mail & got some putting in with it before dark. First impressions only putting:

1. It feels a lot like a Jawbreaker Roach. It is a touch more shallow &, of course, the plastic is more firm.

2. This plastic blend does have a 'crayon' feel to it & did feel very slick out of my hand. A lot of firm putters have that initial slickness that tapers off over time but this thing is real slick right now.

3. Noticeably more stable than my JB Roach. Not sure if that's just because of the firm plastic or more the difference in shape. I appreciate that extra stability on this one because I like to putt flat more than on a hyzer.

I included a side by side with a Roach. Roach on the left / Luna on the right. Really happy with the Luna so far. Time will tell.
Some firm putters if they were in the old Pro D could become slick over time due to use. I still have one in my bag and it is a good disc just the flaw is how slick it got over the years. One of the reasons was looking at getting the Jawbreaker Magnet as a new putter.
Old 01-31-2019, 01:22 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 211 Times in 101 Posts

Felt one the other day. Not going to lie, this feels like a VAviar3 if Innova had stooped to that level.
Old 01-31-2019, 04:42 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,175 Times in 1,602 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myke566 View Post
Felt one the other day. Not going to lie, this feels like a VAviar3 if Innova had stooped to that level.
Just posted my McBeth Prototype putter review in the other thread. It's not a VAviar3 at all. The Luna is not beaded; by definition any V-tech disc has a bead. I'd say the McBeth putter is very similar in flight to a Warden or Marshal.
Old 01-31-2019, 05:04 PM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 14.7
Courses Played: 214
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,409 Times in 725 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
Some firm putters if they were in the old Pro D could become slick over time due to use. I still have one in my bag and it is a good disc just the flaw is how slick it got over the years. One of the reasons was looking at getting the Jawbreaker Magnet as a new putter.
Wizards can develop the same feel over time. It's the oils from your hands collecting in the pores of the plastic. Wash it in warm water and Dawn. The grip should return.
Old 01-31-2019, 08:38 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 25
Niced 756 Times in 647 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
Wizards can develop the same feel over time. It's the oils from your hands collecting in the pores of the plastic. Wash it in warm water and Dawn. The grip should return.
I have and thank to you I just did this again. The Slick is another problem of the plastic wearing smooth over the years the way a rock might open in the elements. Yes I know as some parts of the disc that should be more sharp have a smooth feel to them like the bottom rim/wing part that is bead less is smooth not sharp. It is the only plastic that I know of that turns smooth in the plastic over time like like rock granite. Even old Innova DX does not do this and one can get rid of most of the slick problem. This disc did get a little bit of slick off but not enough only a tiny tiny bit of slick is gone. Only other plastic that is close in having the worn smooth problem is G9i but even that can be fixed ~80% by washing the disc.
Old 02-02-2019, 05:17 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 31
Niced 1,014 Times in 561 Posts

Upon further review, I can't tell the difference between the Roach and the Luna, other then the blend (which I dig). Havent driven with it. Just circle 2 and in, and it putts just like my Roaches.

Buying a few more to rotate in, maybe for the upcoming summer months, when Jawbreaker feels a bit softer.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:34 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 22
Niced 19 Times in 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
If the disc they just released is going to be "tweaked" and therefore never produced again as is, what was the point of releasing it at all? Sell a bunch of discs that players might like and then yank it away so that those players can't replace it?

I mean, I understand that there is variability from run to run with discs and that one run might come out slightly or noticeably different than a previous one, but some of that can't really be helped (due to factors that are either too costly, complicated, or impossible to control). But deliberately creating that sort of thing seems a step beyond.
Because part of the criteria for a disc to be approved / legal for PDGA play is that a minimum of 500 discs be made commercially available to the public at least 30 days prior to a tournament. So if Paul wants to use the Luna in a tournament, it has to at least have that much lead time and be available in that quantity at a minimum for him to be able to use it in a tournament. The fun part is that as long as it doesn't materially change (ie: adding a bead, or removing a bead, then minor changes that tweak molds without violating technical standards usually don't need to be reapproved - so if this tweak falls within that category, that is why).

It's more of a business decision.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.9
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,682 Times in 1,533 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xare View Post
Because part of the criteria for a disc to be approved / legal for PDGA play is that a minimum of 500 discs be made commercially available to the public at least 30 days prior to a tournament. So if Paul wants to use the Luna in a tournament, it has to at least have that much lead time and be available in that quantity at a minimum for him to be able to use it in a tournament. The fun part is that as long as it doesn't materially change (ie: adding a bead, or removing a bead, then minor changes that tweak molds without violating technical standards usually don't need to be reapproved - so if this tweak falls within that category, that is why).

It's more of a business decision.
The bolded is absolutely not true. Once the disc is on the approved list, it is legal for tournament play immediately. The only tournament I'm aware of with the 30 day limitation is Worlds. That's a rule specific to that event, not all tournaments.

Every year as a sponsored player, I get Westside, Dynamic, and Latitude prototypes that won't be available for retail sale for weeks or sometimes months, and I've never been told I had to wait until the official retail release to use them in a tournament. I can throw them right away as long as they're on the PDGA approved list. So putting the Lunas out for sale now has nothing to do with being tournament legal.

So my point remains. If they're still in the tweaking phase and future runs of Lunas are going to be deliberately different in flight and dimensions than the current prototypes, I disagree with releasing them. That puts 500-1000 (whatever the quantity was) out there that people will never be able to replace if they like them. You're right that it's a business decision, but I think it's one that is a money grab, not to comply with a rule.

Old 02-05-2019, 12:48 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 31
Niced 1,014 Times in 561 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
So my point remains. If they're still in the tweaking phase and future runs of Lunas are going to be deliberately different in flight and dimensions than the current prototypes, I disagree with releasing them. ....
I don't think these are being tweaked. They already went through that process, according to Paul's instagram post where he pictured a stack of other proto types (What look to be different tops on the Roach bottom and, by his own account, various plastic blends).