Old 06-29-2018, 08:44 PM

Niced 6 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
You are starting swinging before your front foot plants and your rear foot is weight back during the swing. Your front leg also collapses into the plant instead of crushing the can and then swinging. You are swinging before any crushing, your leg is being crushed/collapsing instead of the can.
Thanks for the quick response SW22. I actually do all those drills quite a bit. I think you touched on what is big part of my struggle. Throwing a hammer or golf club or whatever, it's real easy to feel that lag and pressure that the weight of the object creates. Not so much with a plastic disc. Hopefully, the idea of pretending the disc is heavy will help.

Also, I attached a photo below. I understand exactly what you mean about crushing the can, although I do need drink more canned beer to replenish practice supplies. The other part of your post talks about weight still being to far back when i start swinging forward. In the picture, my entire body with the exception of the throwing arm should be more towards the target before I swing correct?

Thanks again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Weight Back.jpg (21.1 KB, 16 views)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2018, 08:47 PM

Niced 6 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
I would start with your feet offset in the closed manner that you want to swing from. So roughly trace a line from rear foot's toes through front foot's heel. Then from there it's simple...stride targetwards. The offset will remain roughly the same, and your momentum carries you straight targetwards. Starting slightly closed should help you turn deeper in the door frame manner.

Right now it's too complicated, you start off parallel to the line you want to throw, then try to push your mass toward the line but step across your body. So your mass is going down the red line but foot along the blue line, and you're getting all crossed up.

The momentum direction during an X-step should feel very straight and in balance, there shouldn't be swaying at all. So in a standstill it should be even more simple. This is the point of standstills to me, it already exposes this step to the side without any additional forward momentum before the plant, so if you added an X-step in there then the cause of this issue would be even harder for you to find.
Okay, I think I get it, at least conceptually. It seems pretty intuitive that stepping too far in front of the rest of my body, leaves it nowhere to go. It's essentially like putting a wall up in front of my momentum.
Old 06-29-2018, 09:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,631 Times in 1,656 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPM13 View Post
Okay, I think I get it, at least conceptually. It seems pretty intuitive that stepping too far in front of the rest of my body, leaves it nowhere to go. It's essentially like putting a wall up in front of my momentum.
Yeah that's exactly right. You want to stride in balance/direction and when you land your body will easily rotate/pivot through. It won't feel like anything. But you'll realize you didn't run through the shot afterwards, so your rear side countered the throw.

Also in your picture above you can see you still are weighted on the rear foot even though the plant foot is down.

I would say door frame drill 1, really focus on how it should feel to use your body weight and leverage into the rear leg, along with crushing the can from the height are the two things to help most. The clip where SW is standing on a small foam roller to drop down. That extra drop that you get from a small height is how it feels when you correctly Hershyzer/lead with your body weight down the target line and then catch your weight more suddenly. It's really hard to still be weighted on the rear foot when you drop down a few inches in that drill.
Old 06-29-2018, 10:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 227
Niced 4,104 Times in 2,488 Posts

Quote:
Thanks for the quick response SW22. I actually do all those drills quite a bit. I think you touched on what is big part of my struggle. Throwing a hammer or golf club or whatever, it's real easy to feel that lag and pressure that the weight of the object creates. Not so much with a plastic disc. Hopefully, the idea of pretending the disc is heavy will help.

Also, I attached a photo below. I understand exactly what you mean about crushing the can, although I do need drink more canned beer to replenish practice supplies. The other part of your post talks about weight still being to far back when i start swinging forward. In the picture, my entire body with the exception of the throwing arm should be more towards the target before I swing correct?

Thanks again.
Not necessarily body more towards the target, but de-weighted off your rear foot - rear heel up. Your weight leaving the rear foot should lead the disc moving forward.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:54 PM

Niced 6 Times in 4 Posts

Again, Thank you guys. I think a lot of what you responded with has helped focus my approach a bit. I will check back in a week or so, unless I get really lost.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:57 PM

Niced 6 Times in 4 Posts

Also, Slowplastic you bring up a strange reality that I have to come to terms with. My old form required so much effort that its odd striving to feel less. Just got to keep practicing.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:40 AM

Niced 6 Times in 4 Posts

I'm pretty sure I had a partial breakthrough today. One of the suggestions both you guys have made is to turn my torso further into the backswing. While doing fieldwork this morning, I realized I wasn't actually turning my torso, but literally reaching back with my arm, but not twisting the torso. I made the adjustment, and saw immediate improvement in accuracy and distance. I am guessing the doorframe drill subconsciously helped me make the adjustment. Kudos to SW.

I am still opening that front hip up before the plant. I have a feeling that is going to be a long, drawn out battle.

Anyway, thanks again for the help SW and SP!
Old 05-29-2020, 10:12 AM

Niced 6 Times in 4 Posts

Hey guys. Dusting this thread off. I wanted to share a ball golf video that provided a lot of clarity about what power perhaps "speed" is a better term) feels like to me.

Let me provide a little background. I played lacrosse at the collegiate level and just recently picked up ball golf after not playing at all for about 10 years. Miraculously, I pretty much instantly picked up driving the ball far and fairly consistently. I have been reflecting on how this seemingly accidental skill occurred. I am fairly sure it is from a direct carry over from shooting a lacrosse ball. Below, I will provide a lacrosse gif and a ball golf instructional video that seems to be explaining what I think I am feeling. Excuse the length of the post.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

This is a very close example of my lacrosse shooting form.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ball golf instructional video clip.
Link in case embed isn't working.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

The common thread here is the leverage on that front leg. This is the brace that everyone always talks about here. The problem is I have alot of trouble getting that feeling RHBH. I think it is because I am far to worried about getting off my back foot onto the front foot. I am technically shifting weight back to front (which is good), but in the wrong way. I am essentially hopping from one leg to another instead of shifting into that braced front leg.

As an aside, I realize nothing I am saying here is new. In fact, Sidewinder, hyzer, slowplastic, and anyone else who knows their stuff, talks about this concept all the time. The problem is I couldn't figure out the feeling. So what is the plan of action to implement this feeling into disc golf?
  • Alternate between lacrosse swing and backhand swing. Try to replicate front leg feeling.
  • Standstills only concentrating on feeling the front leg tension.
  • Stop worrying so much about feeling weight transfer. Worry more about getting into the correct postion. I.E., feel the tension in the front leg

I Think I want to emulate these guys. Their form seems to jive better with the athletic moves that I am used to and comfortable with.

KJ

Tristan Tanner

So is any, some, all of this making sense? Am I thinking about the brace in the right way? I would love any and all feedback. Again, I know you guys have talked about this concept a ton, but I needed to develop the concept in a way that my dumb brain can understand. Thanks for your time. You guys are the best!

-JPM

Niced: (2)

Last edited by JPM13; 05-29-2020 at 10:15 AM.
Old 05-29-2020, 10:19 AM

Niced 6 Times in 4 Posts
Default Figured out the Embed.

Niced: (1)

Old 05-29-2020, 04:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 227
Niced 4,104 Times in 2,488 Posts

Quote:
Yep, and thank you for showing me how to do a timestamp on embedded vids, I didn't think it was possible.

Just realized it was you that added the lacrosse photo to the finish position thread:
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=134167

Fire and Fall Back(lets see if timestamp works):

Niced: (1)