Old 01-17-2019, 04:04 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 1,817 Times in 1,367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphilso1 View Post
Nope, I've never thrown a Comet. I've only been playing for around a a year and a half, and there's a ton of great discs out there that I've yet to try. Can't buy them all though,...
So many discs, so little time...
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2019, 05:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,376 Times in 1,522 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphilso1 View Post
Nope, I've never thrown a Comet. I've only been playing for around a a year and a half, and there's a ton of great discs out there that I've yet to try. Can't buy them all though, and I don't know anyone that bags a Comet so I'd have to buy before trying.

I appreciate the detailed explanation of the benefits of a Comet. And yes, I can throw putters OK but not great. I bag Envies because they seem to do all the Aviar/Wizard-type shots for me, but with a more reliable stability. They start getting a little squirrelly for me at around 250 ft, at which point I'm more comfortable powering down a midrange. So from that you can safely assume I've got some torqueiness in my form but it's not terrible. Maybe that does make me a prime candidate for the Comet...
Yeah the Envy to me is much more forgiving than an Aviar or a Comet but still powers down well. I love that disc, probably one of the best molds I don't bag. Partly because I don't want to get so used to it that I question my ability when throwing normal putters, since the Envy just handles power so well.

FWIW I find the Nova WAY more sensitive than the Comet, plus it feels weird in my grip. I've got lots of weird flights out of the Nova when I didn't expect it, whereas I feel the Comet gives you what you put into it fairly. I do not like how the Comet feels though compared to modern style mids.

Old 01-17-2019, 10:18 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.7
Courses Played: 23
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 352 Times in 214 Posts

Nova feels gross to me, so I've never been remotely tempted to throw it. Comet is awkward-feeling too but I think I could get used to it.
And I've bagged both an Aviar and a Wizard before, but the Envy is just sooooo much more forgiving. Plus I personally get a cleaner release when driving a shallow putter; I used to griplock the Wizard on at least 1 out of 5 throws, which I attribute to its deep dishiness. Aviar too but to a lesser extent.