Old 05-16-2019, 10:24 PM

Years Playing: 4.1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 4 Times in 4 Posts

The 14 speed MVP discs are no joke when it comes to distance. I agree that they do not glide the best, but they don't need to. In fact, it is probably best they don't for better accuracy. These discs get down range SO fast, glide isn't necessary. I haven't thrown a catalyst since my newbie days (a whopping 3-4 years ago), but the teleport and dimension crush. However the catalyst is probably a safer bet for distance if you don't throw 400+ feet regularly.

The teleport is the only disc I've gotten over 500ft, and it's done it multiple times. I do not bag it because it can be a bit touchy with arm speed. If you don't get it to speed it will hyzer out, and if you smash it with a flat release it will ride right too much. The Dimension is about 10-20 ft shorter than the teleport at this point. I just picked one up, but so far it has the distance and the accuracy I've been looking for. The shortest throw has been a controlled 400ft hyzer. Every other time it has sailed 450+, and it almost hit 500ft once.

I wouldn't say I have a "500 foot arm" at this point, but these two discs are like cheating. It would be interesting to see some of the bigger arms smash on these.

I bag all Discraft, but the Dimension has already changed that. They simply don't make a disc this fast and accurate. The Kong and Force are great for reliable 425-450ft throws, but I just can't push them further than that at this point. The Crank is too unpredictable when given power. The Nuke is pretty fast and stable, but it doesn't net much more distance than my Forces and it's less predictable.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2019, 12:31 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 280 Times in 164 Posts

I’ve got a few Nuke OS’s with some dome that aren’t nearly as overstable as a flat Nuke OS, and they bomb. The ones I got were $8 at Marshall Street last month. Think they’re still $10. Seems faster than anything else I own, including a Ballista Pro. I got 4, not the seafoamy green color but rather the brighter green color, and 3 of the 4 are like this. The 4th is flat and OS. I’d be interested to see some of you guys with 450’+ of power compare them to the other discs you’re mentioning.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:43 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 630 Times in 496 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmiller View Post
Ive got a few Nuke OSs with some dome that arent nearly as overstable as a flat Nuke OS, and they bomb. The ones I got were $8 at Marshall Street last month. Think theyre still $10. Seems faster than anything else I own, including a Ballista Pro. I got 4, not the seafoamy green color but rather the brighter green color, and 3 of the 4 are like this. The 4th is flat and OS. Id be interested to see some of you guys with 450+ of power compare them to the other discs youre mentioning.
I've thrown a few Nuke OSs. A couple domey ones, and one very flat one. Those things are almost cruelly overstable. I can't get much yardage with them.

On a good rip I MIGHT be able to hit 350' with a Nuke OS. I find them to be glideless bricks, and one of the most overstable molds I can think of.
Old 05-17-2019, 11:04 AM

Years Playing: 4.1
Niced 4 Times in 4 Posts

I've only thrown one Nuke OS, and I bag it for utility shots. It is board flat and wicked overstable. It has to be crushed on extreme anhyzer to get over 375'. I would be interested in throwing a less stable version with some dome. I could see that being a bomber, as the Nuke OS is a very fast disc.
Old 05-20-2019, 02:22 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 280 Times in 164 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
I've thrown a few Nuke OSs. A couple domey ones, and one very flat one. Those things are almost cruelly overstable. I can't get much yardage with them.

On a good rip I MIGHT be able to hit 350' with a Nuke OS. I find them to be glideless bricks, and one of the most overstable molds I can think of.
The first Nuke OS I ever threw was a flat Z that I found with no name or number. It was uselessly overstable, even though I was sometimes forehanding regular distance drivers 400+ at the time. These Ledgestone ESP Nuke OSs(the ones with a little dome) are not even close to that overstability. They dont turn, but man do they go straight for awhile really far before the fade. Even the flat Ledgestone one that I have thrown doesnt seem nearly as OS as the one that I threw years ago.

Also, I came to post that because of you, I picked up an Echo Star Tern. Got around to throwing it yesterday. And even though my backhand is currently in a slump, it still went ~360, which was at least 30-40 further than an old Wraith that I usually like to throw for long backhands when my form is better. Im excited to get back out of this form slump and see what it can do.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 630 Times in 496 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmiller View Post
The first Nuke OS I ever threw was a flat Z that I found with no name or number. It was uselessly overstable, even though I was sometimes forehanding regular distance drivers 400+ at the time. These Ledgestone ESP Nuke OSs(the ones with a little dome) are not even close to that overstability. They dont turn, but man do they go straight for awhile really far before the fade. Even the flat Ledgestone one that I have thrown doesnt seem nearly as OS as the one that I threw years ago.

Also, I came to post that because of you, I picked up an Echo Star Tern. Got around to throwing it yesterday. And even though my backhand is currently in a slump, it still went ~360, which was at least 30-40 further than an old Wraith that I usually like to throw for long backhands when my form is better. Im excited to get back out of this form slump and see what it can do.
I've never thrown an E* Tern. I'd imagine they're pretty damn flippy. The 2 regular star Terns I've thrown lately absolutely BOMB though. Those star Terns were blowing away almost every other disc I put them up against for sheer distance. Shrykes, Sheriffs, Vanish, Destroyers, Ballistas, you name it. Those Terns are just so damn long.

I will say that the E* Destroyer I recently threw was WAY longer than all the other regular star Destroyers I've thrown lately. Domier, glidier, and flippier too.

The most overstable disc I bag is a Firebird. I'm not looking for big distance with it. I want the short flight and dumpy fade. I use the XCal for longer overstable shots. It'll fly flat a long way before fading.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:46 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 122
Niced 481 Times in 303 Posts

Quote:
I feel like the Octane and Mayhem are slight letdowns. I'm not saying I don't like them, but I don't get the distance out of them I feel like I ought to.

The Octane can be a little stubborn. It doesn't penetrate super well, and isn't a remarkable glider. They fade a little prematurely. Same story with the Mayhem. Even when I hit a big S curve line with it the disc will work out of it quickly and just fall out of the air. Axiom/MVP discs do NOT have good late glide. As soon as they lose momentum they come hurtling out of the air like a meteorite.

The Wave is one of the more disappointing drivers I've ever thrown. I feel like they glide poorly and are hard to get on a good S curve. They either stay hyzer or flip over. No good area in between.

I know there are some understable speed 13/14 offerings from Axiom/MVP I haven't tried. Maybe some of those are bombers. The Catalyst is legit. It made my list. I really liked the way the Catalyst flew. Reminded me of a Shryke, but a speed faster.
I'd have to disagree on the Mayhem. I find them to have an excellent combination of glide, distance and predictability.

I have a few molds I can throw a bit further, like the Teleport, but that extra 15-20' comes at the expense of control. Mayhem is my favorite raw distance disc for golf shots, even if it isn't my #1 during a field session.

Have you ever tried an Insanity? That's one of the first discs I let people try when they tell me they want a long range MVP / Axiom disc. The bit of high speed turn helps players from a variety of skill levels get a full flight, and it has really nice glide. Crave is another sneaky long disc. Even at my distance its raw glide keeps it surprisingly close to the speed 13 & 14 discs during field work.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:42 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.9
Courses Played: 48
Niced 730 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
I've never thrown an E* Tern. I'd imagine they're pretty damn flippy.
Nope
Old 05-21-2019, 11:12 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 17
Niced 166 Times in 88 Posts

My top 2 have been
Legacy pinnacle Cannon
Innova Shryke.

My Cannon has great glide, and it's true to the intended numbers. I like the legacy plastics much better than Innova.

The shryke is newer champion domey 175, and could stand additional seasoning. I believe it will eventually surpass the cannon, if I can stand this slick champion plastic long enough

Old 05-21-2019, 12:40 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 193 Times in 126 Posts

Has anyone had a chance to try out those new g-star corvettes? I imagine those would have some great distance potential.