Old 11-22-2018, 11:14 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 630 Times in 496 Posts
Default Settling on a good midrange

Lately I've been trying out a few midrange discs hoping to basically find a good "workhorse" disc to anchor my bag and make basic shots with. By workhorse I mean a mid that will cover a range of shots easily and fly long/straight without any turnover.

My longtime basic mid was a Z Buzzz. It worked well for a while, but I noticed after a while it was becoming flippy and would trail right on any flat release. I replaced that with an EMac Truth. The Truth was better, but lately I noticed it also fluttering right when thrown hard. The EMac Truth was really a good mid for distance too. It covers ground well and is just short of a Teebird.

Enter the champion Roc3. Yes, I know this is an old mold and I'm VERY late to the party trying it now. The champion Roc3 works wonderfully. I'm able to throw it really hard without any high speed turn at all. IMO it isn't quite as long as a Buzzz or EMac Truth, but it is far less finicky and much easier to throw accurately. I've now tried 2 champion Roc3s and found them to both fly the same.

I was a Buzzz thrower for a LONG time, but I think the Roc3 is a better overall mold. The Buzzz has a little better glide and is longer, but it flips over more and seems to get pushed around badly in wind.

Right now I have the Roc3 and a Lat64 Pain in the bag. The Pain is a good overstable mid. It flies shorter and with a heavier fade than the Roc3.

I guess my point is, finding trusty midrange discs isn't as easy as it seems. There are tons of options and many of them seem to fly more understable than the numbers they're given.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2018, 11:18 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.1
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 657 Times in 263 Posts

Did you ever have more than 1 disc?

The beauty of any midrange is that they beat in and develop more turn, opening up new lines that can be thrown with less power and more control.

Niced: (1)
Old 11-22-2018, 11:20 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 103
Niced 230 Times in 107 Posts

Sounds like you want a Roc, a Rancho Roc to be specific.

Old 11-22-2018, 12:40 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 29
Niced 208 Times in 131 Posts

Here's the deal, the Verdict is a fantastic mid that is exactly what you are describing. It is stable, fast, almost a Teebird. When it beats in, it's like a fresh EMac Truth. Also, bonus points, it feels like an EMac Truth.
Old 11-22-2018, 12:43 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 193 Times in 126 Posts

Wasp is a buzzz with a tick more stability. Throw it hard and flat and it will go straight / hyzer back!

Old 11-22-2018, 12:46 PM
Free at Last

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 1
Niced 1,035 Times in 527 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
Lately I've been trying out a few midrange discs hoping to basically find a good "workhorse" disc to anchor my bag and make basic shots with. By workhorse I mean a mid that will cover a range of shots easily and fly long/straight without any turnover.

My longtime basic mid was a Z Buzzz. It worked well for a while, but I noticed after a while it was becoming flippy and would trail right on any flat release. I replaced that with an EMac Truth. The Truth was better, but lately I noticed it also fluttering right when thrown hard. The EMac Truth was really a good mid for distance too. It covers ground well and is just short of a Teebird.

Enter the champion Roc3. Yes, I know this is an old mold and I'm VERY late to the party trying it now. The champion Roc3 works wonderfully. I'm able to throw it really hard without any high speed turn at all. IMO it isn't quite as long as a Buzzz or EMac Truth, but it is far less finicky and much easier to throw accurately. I've now tried 2 champion Roc3s and found them to both fly the same.

I was a Buzzz thrower for a LONG time, but I think the Roc3 is a better overall mold. The Buzzz has a little better glide and is longer, but it flips over more and seems to get pushed around badly in wind.

Right now I have the Roc3 and a Lat64 Pain in the bag. The Pain is a good overstable mid. It flies shorter and with a heavier fade than the Roc3.

I guess my point is, finding trusty midrange discs isn't as easy as it seems. There are tons of options and many of them seem to fly more understable than the numbers they're given.
Why did you make this thread.
Old 11-22-2018, 12:55 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 304 Times in 210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocthecourse View Post
Sounds like you want a Roc, a Rancho Roc to be specific.
Can you school me on the Rancho Roc? How does it compare to a regular Roc? I had never thrown any Roc till a few weeks go when I found a Rancho. I honestly figured I'd likely not bag it since it is a larger weirder feeling, old mold.... but with few throws I tested the other day, I really enjoyed throwing it and will be taking on the course. Very small sample size and not enough to form a good opinion on but seemed like similar line to my Envy, which I love driving with, but with more glide. Not a knock on the Envy - goes just as far as some other mids for me.

Old 11-22-2018, 01:03 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 29
Niced 208 Times in 131 Posts

You're pretty spot on with the Envy comparison. I always called my Envy a mini Roc. The other Rocs have more wiggle in their HSS than Ranchero.

Old 11-22-2018, 01:24 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.1
Courses Played: 24
Niced 73 Times in 51 Posts

Work on your form. Sounds more like a OAT/lack of spin issue. I can put full power into my buzzzes with no turn...

Niced: (2)

Old 11-22-2018, 02:07 PM
Par Member

Niced 58 Times in 29 Posts

I second the Wasp. Picked one up recently and it's the most versatile disc in my bag.