Old 11-23-2018, 09:19 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.7
Courses Played: 23
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 347 Times in 210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
IDK. The whole midrange thing for me is a bit of work in progress. I used a Buzzz for a long, long time. I liked it a lot, but I never felt like it could handle really hard rips. The disc would always track right, and that was exacerbated by any sort of headwind. I've tossed 2 champion Roc 3s in the last month and had great results with both. Its like that disc is made to be thrown hard. I was instantly putting them on target consistently.

I'll reiterate that I really like the Emac Truth. Problem is, the disc has suddenly decided to become inconsistent/flippy. I've lost it badly right on multiple occasions on what should have been fairly easy shots. The Emac Truth would cut through the air with authority and seemed to outdistance other mids I had thrown prior.

My form probably isn't the most outstanding thing anyone's ever seen. I won't call myself a very good finesse thrower. I tend to choose discs that suit hard throwing rather than flippy discs that are better on finesse throws. I'll readily admit I don't practice enough with mids. I feel like I'm pretty good with them, but I like to throw mids hard and straight. I never really developed much of a shot for flippy mids. I tend to do very poorly with those and they end up all over the place.

The champion Roc3 seems idiotproof. I go up to the tee with that thing and rip it hard. The disc does all the work. It flies remarkably straight and seems resistant to high speed turn or excessive late fade. I think for now I'm going to continue bagging it.

I haven't ditched any of my old mids. I still have many Buzzes and the Emac Truth. I'm not writing them off completely, but right now I'm sure not feeling confident with them. I might throw a Ti Buzzz in the bag and see what happens there. I've thrown them before and found them to be a bit beefier than regular Z Buzzes. I may also need to reexamine the Wasp. I've actually thrown them previously, but for some reason not jelled with them.
Hope you enjoy your Roc3. If t gives you confidence when you throw it then the switch was worth it. I am curious though...how old was your Emac Truth that turns over now? Your experience is so different from mine (as I said above, I found the Emac stability > Roc3 stability) that I'm curious if you just reached the point where the disc beat in some. Also, what plastic type was it? Trilogy plastic certainly does beat in much faster than Innova.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2018, 11:05 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 627 Times in 493 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphilso1 View Post
Hope you enjoy your Roc3. If t gives you confidence when you throw it then the switch was worth it. I am curious though...how old was your Emac Truth that turns over now? Your experience is so different from mine (as I said above, I found the Emac stability > Roc3 stability) that I'm curious if you just reached the point where the disc beat in some. Also, what plastic type was it? Trilogy plastic certainly does beat in much faster than Innova.
I'm not sure how old the Emac Truth is. I found it somewhere. It is in good condition though. The disc just became steadily wilder for me as time went on. Plastic is lucid. One thing the Emac Truth WAS very good at was 2nd shots on long holes that were a little too long for a putter. Or on those rare occasions when I shanked a drive badly and needed a lengthy second shot. The Roc definitely doesn't do those type of shots as well.

The Roc3 is shorter. It doesn't quite have the speed/penetration of the Emac Truth.

I agree I need to do some field work with flippier mids and really learn how to throw them. I have a couple Mako 3s and such. Maybe I'll bring a couple of those out and throw them.

Niced: (1)
Old 11-23-2018, 01:26 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 168
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 125 Times in 80 Posts

Your descriptions seems to peg you as a stereotypical Buzzz thrower, which is not a bad thing. At first I'd recommend a different flavor of Buzzz if they're flipping over on you, but I don't necessarily condone trying a new mold. I disagree with those that recommend a Rancho Roc, as they are more of a finesse mid than a Roc3. A Roc3 really is a Buzzz for those that prefer a Roc-like feel and are pretty idiot-proof if you have enough power (which I don't believe is a problem for you).

TL;DR: Roc3 is a good choice for ya.
Old 11-23-2018, 01:49 PM
Verified Jurkface

Years Playing: 11.9
Courses Played: 163
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,121 Times in 1,001 Posts

I was in the same boat. I really liked my Buzzz but I wanted something that held the zero HSS a lot longer. The Nebula was the perfect OS Buzzz complement. I've bagged the same ESP Ace Race Nebula for probably >7 years as my go-to mid and it's just now broken into basically an ESP Buzzz. Popped in a fresh AR Neb and voila, a mid I can throw hard again.
Old 11-23-2018, 02:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 18
Niced 486 Times in 367 Posts

Yeah, WASP - there will be a bunch of nice ones out soon since Paul I'm sure - but find an ESP WASP and you'll be happy for sure. I had the same problem, love Buzzes but they are SO straight stable that when they get any work in they have a tendency to turn a lil bit and not that much fade to come back to center. I starting using a max weight neutron MVP MATRIX and its really nice as its like a Buzzz that has a more significant fade. But if you want Straight High speed stability and not any give I wouldn't recommend it as it does have a hint of turn then a fade of about 2. Matrix 5/4/-1/2 - Buzzz 5/4/0/1 - Wasp 5/4/0/2

Old 11-23-2018, 04:25 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 52
Niced 291 Times in 172 Posts

Roc3 is swell.
Old 11-23-2018, 05:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 18
Niced 486 Times in 367 Posts

Also,I'd add the MD4 by discmania had filled the 'slight more OS Buzzz' category for me. It feels very similar actually but has more stability while not being TOO OS. So Yeah, Wasp, Roc3, MD4, (maybe Matrix)

Old 11-24-2018, 08:49 AM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 15
Niced 22 Times in 12 Posts

For me it seemed that finding the right model range was tough.I was throwing the buzz when I started playing disc golf but these days I throw verdicts,which I highly recommend and I throw compass.Those two I would suggest to anyone.
Old 11-24-2018, 10:20 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.1
Courses Played: 24
Niced 73 Times in 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasOrion View Post
Also,I'd add the MD4 by discmania had filled the 'slight more OS Buzzz' category for me. It feels very similar actually but has more stability while not being TOO OS. So Yeah, Wasp, Roc3, MD4, (maybe Matrix)
I agree. I didn't like the regular MD4 (flat top), as it was too straight. But the MF MD4 has some dome and is MUCH more OS but not too OS. It has great glide and is a couple of ticks more OS than a Buzzz. Great combo.

Old 11-24-2018, 10:38 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 627 Times in 493 Posts

Good suggestions, guys. Lots of stuff out there to try.