Old 01-17-2019, 09:32 AM
Pandamonium Discs

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 161
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 541 Times in 241 Posts

Been in your shoes. There is not going to be a disc that you will find that you like as much as throwing a roc. Ive tried the cobras and comets and no matter what they never felt right in the hand. Pretty much go with what everbody on here has been saying and just start beating up some DX or McPro/KC rocs. Flat top DX and KC start out a lot straighter and will get some turn pretty quickly but I feel like they eventually become unpredictable. McPro Roc3's season beautifully as well as DX/KC Ranchos and DX San Marino's. Maybe try to find a Play it again sports and see if they have used discs for sale and try to find some beat rocs.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 01-17-2019, 09:38 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.7
Courses Played: 23
Niced 356 Times in 217 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmiller View Post
Do you just want something else to buy for the fun of trying a new disc? I know I get that way. If you're thinking Comet, just get one and be done with it. Otherwise, you'll just keep reading all the comments about them here and subconsciously trying to come up with excuses to try one in the future...
This is so me. I'm 99% sure that I wouldn't bag a Comet. I know I'm not consistent enough with my release angles to score well using it, so I'm better off throwing discs that either reliably turnover or reliably fade back regardless of operator error. And yet every time I go to my local shop those Comets call my name...

I'm sure I'll cave eventually and buy one. Just trying to hold off as long as I can.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:15 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 2
Niced 342 Times in 255 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphilso1 View Post
This is so me. I'm 99% sure that I wouldn't bag a Comet. I know I'm not consistent enough with my release angles to score well using it, so I'm better off throwing discs that either reliably turnover or reliably fade back regardless of operator error. And yet every time I go to my local shop those Comets call my name...

I'm sure I'll cave eventually and buy one. Just trying to hold off as long as I can.
I was in your shoes about 6 months ago. I'd thrown a couple of Z Comets, but had always heard older discs are better and X Comets are where the real magic is at, and I found an Elite-X Comet that was well seasoned and had something the guy wanted in trade, and I don't care if the guy has 10+ aces on each disc (I got 4 for 2, but I value discs very differently in some cases and my 2 were both FRs) I still got the better end of the deal. I had recently lost my turnover Roc, and though I had another that was close, it wasn't quite the same. That Comet has changed my game both FH and BH, while also being a great form disc.

To the OP: Get an X Comet and play a couple 1 disc round with it, and you should have a perfect turnover Roc. It feels a bit different (more rounded rim), but has the closest feel of any US mid I've found to a Roc.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:16 AM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 15
Niced 23 Times in 21 Posts
Default Wombat3...maybe

Call me crazy, but I suggest trying a Wombat3. I use a Warrant for my US mid, but my girlfriend loves her Wombat3. It's got a sharp nose compared to the blunt nose of the Roc3, but it has a bead that fits in the hand similarly. After testing out a power grip and modified fan grip on it, I don't feel a huge difference with the way it rests in my hand. The Wombat3 is slightly taller, but has the flat top like all the "3" discs. It will probably start out laser straight, but it should beat into that sweet spot and stay there longer than a DX Roc3. Worth a shot in my opinion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wombat3roc3.jpg (52.7 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by ArtemisClydFr0g; 01-17-2019 at 10:20 AM.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:34 AM

Courses Played: 3
Niced 28 Times in 14 Posts

I'm on the Comet train now for that start-flat-finish-flat line, but I used to cycle flat top DX Glow Rocs. They seemed to beat into stable/understable more quickly than other Rocs.

Quote:
...I know I'm not consistent enough with my release angles to score well using it...
But, this makes me think you should put in some practice time with a Comet. It might not make your bag (I didn't have that intention), but once you're consistently in control of it, you'll feel even more in tune with your other discs.

Old 01-17-2019, 10:39 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSMGS18 View Post
That Comet has changed my game both FH and BH, while also being a great form disc.
I'm curious how the Comet has changed your game. Is it because it will truly hold any line you put it on?

The problem with a disc that will hold any line is that you have to actually get the disc started on the perfect line, and that's definitely not my strength. To contrast that, my Tursas will reliably turnover for me, unless I massively screw up the release by giving it way too much hyzer; my Emac Truth will reliably fade unless I give it terrible OAT or toss it into a massive headwind. Those discs give me a specific, consistent flight the vast majority of the time.

Frankly, I see the Comet as a diagnostic tool for me more than anything else. Something that I could take to the field to work on form or use for a 2-3 disc round, but not something I would want to bag regularly. Maybe I'm way off base with that, but from everything I've seen/read/heard about the Comet it seems like a disc that would magnify the weaknesses in my game.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:46 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midairmatthew View Post
But, this makes me think you should put in some practice time with a Comet. It might not make your bag (I didn't have that intention), but once you're consistently in control of it, you'll feel even more in tune with your other discs.
Yeah, that's why I always tinker with the idea of buying a Comet. But with limited practice time I keep coming back to the thought that increased familiarity with discs I do bag is probably the way to go. And it's not like a Tursas or Evidence or beat-in Envy is a bad diagnostic tool, and those are all discs that I throw and bag regularly. In practice rounds that don't matter I throw those discs a ton, and in rounds that I want to score well I rely more on discs that'll hyzer out. I also will periodically do fieldwork with my flippy mids and their backups.

So I've got ways of working on improving my release angles, but it does seem like a Comet would be a better tool.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:39 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.9
Courses Played: 103
Niced 164 Times in 97 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbultman View Post
I love me my roc3s currently carry a super beat glo that is straight with a very slight forward fade and a newer champ roc3

Now I haven’t tried dx roc3 but, I’m looking for a understable disc that feels like a roc3 in hand but is understable, like mako/beat mako. Currently I’m throwing a beat dx roc because I want a bead. but I like the flat top more than the domey
Bring on the suggestions!
Thanks
Discraft Stratus

Niced: (2)
Old 01-17-2019, 01:07 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,402 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Maybe I'm way off base with that, but from everything I've seen/read/heard about the Comet it seems like a disc that would magnify the weaknesses in my game.
Have you never thrown one, and this is just what you anticipate happening? If you've thrown them and they are too touchy for you and you don't want to deal with it, that's totally fine. But if you haven't thrown one then my opinion:

If you can throw a straight neutral putter fine, then you will have zero problem with the Comet. If you can throw anything like an Aviar style putter and not worry about it, then the Comet will do the same thing for you with 30'+ distance on the exact same throw. They are no more touchy and throw the same way, but with the wider diameter midrange glide.

I was afraid of them too from everything I'd read about how touchy they are...but keep in mind a lot of people torque their shots. If you can throw putters you can throw Comets. I played a round with a guy who bagged 4 of them and owned another 15+. I saw him lacing lines with them all day and I asked to try one on a wooded hole...first throw was a turnover perfectly through the trees and just missed chains, and I didn't really throw turnovers at the time. I bought one the next day. That being said mine was more stable than anticipated and it took like 2 years to beat it in for turnovers, but it did give me straight shots that I could throw high over small trees/bushes and drop straight down without fade, which is also a shot that another disc can't quite give me the same way.

And yes DX Rocs will do pretty much the same thing, but X plastic is more durable for me. Discs are discs and if you don't have the form to throw a certain shot then a new mold will not make it happen magically for you. But if you have the form to throw putters then you have the form to throw Comets.

Old 01-17-2019, 03:41 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
Have you never thrown one, and this is just what you anticipate happening?
Nope, I've never thrown a Comet. I've only been playing for around a a year and a half, and there's a ton of great discs out there that I've yet to try. Can't buy them all though, and I don't know anyone that bags a Comet so I'd have to buy before trying.

I appreciate the detailed explanation of the benefits of a Comet. And yes, I can throw putters OK but not great. I bag Envies because they seem to do all the Aviar/Wizard-type shots for me, but with a more reliable stability. They start getting a little squirrelly for me at around 250 ft, at which point I'm more comfortable powering down a midrange. So from that you can safely assume I've got some torqueiness in my form but it's not terrible. Maybe that does make me a prime candidate for the Comet...