Old 03-12-2019, 08:02 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 9
Niced 101 Times in 42 Posts
Default middle of the road stability

I am looking for a new driver to fill out the bag. I lost my really beat-in destroyer that was quite understable which was my go to disc for big flex shots. After crying for a few weeks I replaced it with a star shryke, which I have loved. I can actually get a little more distance out of it compared with the destroyer. Prior to going with the shryke I tried several 4x star destroyers which were all ridiculously overstable that really are not usable for most drives. In general I really prefer using understable discs since the main course(s) I play at are fairly open in places and allow for big flex shots or at least hyzerflip shots. I also bag a lucid captain (which I found and was told to keep) and a mystere (very very understable) that I use only for specific holes/shots.
I have found that I really need something stability-wise that is a bit more in the middle. If I am throwing hard, I can't keep the shryke from turning at least to some degree. I really need something that I can throw hard at a slight hyzer that may flip up but not ride to the right. What is your experience with this? Any disc suggestions?
As context, I can throw at least 450.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2019, 08:06 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.8
Courses Played: 88
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 855 Times in 442 Posts

Hurricane, Outlaw, Giant, or maybe a biofuzion Enforcer

I've got experience with the first 3, and they probably would fit the bill for 450' of power - just a bit of turn and still reliable fade. Faster option would be a Nuke

Niced: (1)
Old 03-12-2019, 09:29 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 19
Niced 862 Times in 489 Posts

Axiom Tenacity and Kastaplast Grymn both fit what you are looking for as well, just for a couple more companies to choose from.

Both have some turn at high power but less than the Shryke.

Caveat: I do not have 450' of power, but I stick my drivers in the hands of big arms just so I can compare how my drivers fly at different power levels... they fly like Destroyers at my power level. ymmv

Niced: (1)

Last edited by wolfmandragon; 03-12-2019 at 09:33 AM.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:48 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 630 Times in 496 Posts

[QUOTE=Disc Golf Doctor;3427899]I am looking for a new driver to fill out the bag. I lost my really beat-in destroyer that was quite understable which was my go to disc for big flex shots. After crying for a few weeks I replaced it with a star shryke, which I have loved. I can actually get a little more distance out of it compared with the destroyer. Prior to going with the shryke I tried several 4x star destroyers which were all ridiculously overstable that really are not usable for most drives. In general I really prefer using understable discs since the main course(s) I play at are fairly open in places and allow for big flex shots or at least hyzerflip shots. I also bag a lucid captain (which I found and was told to keep) and a mystere (very very understable) that I use only for specific holes/shots.
I have found that I really need something stability-wise that is a bit more in the middle. If I am throwing hard, I can't keep the shryke from turning at least to some degree. I really need something that I can throw hard at a slight hyzer that may flip up but not ride to the right. What is your experience with this? Any disc suggestions?
As context, I can throw at least 450.[/QUOTE]

If you're really throwing 450', a McBeth Destroyer should work fine. I don't throw that far very often, and I find McBeths just fine for straight distance shots.

If you need something beefier than a Shryke, but less beefy than a Destroyer, you might try a Defender. That or get a G* Destroyer. They tend to be a little mellower than regular star Destroyers. A star Boss would probably work too.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:49 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.9
Courses Played: 48
Niced 727 Times in 506 Posts

DDx, Sheriff.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:55 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 630 Times in 496 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
DDx, Sheriff.
If he's really throwing 450' both of those are going to turn over pretty hard.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:09 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.9
Courses Played: 48
Niced 727 Times in 506 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
If he's really throwing 450' both of those are going to turn over pretty hard.
Both have more stability than a Shryke, so...
Old 03-12-2019, 10:25 AM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 72
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 871 Times in 596 Posts

If your getting 450 from an understable disc, your probably going to want to just keep replacing it with another understable disc when it beats in, or you could go with one that is slightly more stable and beat it to the spot you like.

The TP Giant is good for this beucase it starts out with essentially Destroyer stability and then ends up being more like a fresh Shryke after a few months and then holds that stability for a good amount of time. I do have super flippy Giants but they are the droopy winged ones that still took over a full year of play to get to that point.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:40 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.7
Courses Played: 23
Niced 352 Times in 214 Posts

Lots of good suggestions already. I have a buddy with roughly your power level, and he smashes on Giants. Grab a Recycled Giant to beat in quick, and pair it with a Tournament (TP) Giant that will beat in a little slower but still much quicker than Innova plastic.

Another option: it seems like most Trilogy pros have switched to using Ballista Pros as their main workhorse driver if they want a disc that will flip up and ride a nice long S. I can't personally confirm this, since at my arm speed (325'-375') the Ballista Pro is more of a headwind driver. Trilogy pros that want more of a straight-to-fade distance driver, or ride an S if forced over, seem to bag Enforcers. Biofuzion plastic would be the place to start if you go the Enforcer route, but it is likely still going to be too overstable for what you want if you prefer to release with some hyzer.

Old 03-12-2019, 11:58 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 34
Niced 162 Times in 61 Posts

If you're liking the feel of the Shryke check out a Pharaoh for a bit more stability with that same amount of Shryke flex. If that's still not enough, check out a Star Colossus. I feel like they're pretty underrated discs. At your power they'll have some turn but will still fade back enough to reliably keep you in the fairway.