Old 03-12-2019, 12:05 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 9
Niced 101 Times in 42 Posts

If you're really throwing 450', a McBeth Destroyer should work fine. I don't throw that far very often, and I find McBeths just fine for straight distance shots.

If you need something beefier than a Shryke, but less beefy than a Destroyer, you might try a Defender. That or get a G* Destroyer. They tend to be a little mellower than regular star Destroyers. A star Boss would probably work too.[/QUOTE]

It isn't an issue with the 4x destroyers per say. It is the inconsistency between discs. Like I said in the original post, my go to for the last couple of years was a destroyer (was 4x) that was much less stable than the ones I picked up after that. I am looking for a different disc rather than continuing to buy new destroyers guess at the stability.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 03-12-2019, 01:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,378 Times in 1,523 Posts

I agree with Twmccoy's suggestions. If you want something that will give you a -1/3 flight at that power try out a Defender. Likely BioFuzion would be a good bet. It flies like a glidey OS Destroyer initially but will break in soon to have some controlled turn and keep a lot of fade. It's a step up from a Shryke for sure, but not like a beefy OS glideless Destroyer.

Gstar Destroyers also bomb, but I think that stability is closer to the Shryke. I haven't thrown a really beat in Shryke though, and the few I have tried that were fresh surprised me with their stability.
Old 03-12-2019, 05:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 630 Times in 496 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
Both have more stability than a Shryke, so...
Sheriffs are iffy when you start going over 400'. I wouldn't trust them for accuracy. Big, flippy S curve distance bombs.

The DDX is a little better option. It'll flip if you really get assertive, but generally is pretty easy to throw. I like the DDX because you can hammer on it and know it has enough late fade to come back late in flight.

I'd honestly rather throw DDXs on the course than Terns. DDXs accept harder throws without going all over the place.
Old 03-12-2019, 05:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disc Golf Doctor View Post
If you're really throwing 450', a McBeth Destroyer should work fine. I don't throw that far very often, and I find McBeths just fine for straight distance shots.

If you need something beefier than a Shryke, but less beefy than a Destroyer, you might try a Defender. That or get a G* Destroyer. They tend to be a little mellower than regular star Destroyers. A star Boss would probably work too.
It isn't an issue with the 4x destroyers per say. It is the inconsistency between discs. Like I said in the original post, my go to for the last couple of years was a destroyer (was 4x) that was much less stable than the ones I picked up after that. I am looking for a different disc rather than continuing to buy new destroyers guess at the stability.[/QUOTE]

I can't really argue with you on that one. Destroyers are notoriously inconsistent from disc to disc. Finding two that fly the same can be a pain in the ass. The thing is, any wide rimmed driver mold is going to have inconsistency from disc to disc. I can't really recommend some magical fast mold where every disc flies the same.

The Colossus (suggested earlier) is actually a pretty good idea. They aren't as beefy as Destroyers, but will still handle a decent amount of arm.

Old 03-12-2019, 05:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
I agree with Twmccoy's suggestions. If you want something that will give you a -1/3 flight at that power try out a Defender. Likely BioFuzion would be a good bet. It flies like a glidey OS Destroyer initially but will break in soon to have some controlled turn and keep a lot of fade. It's a step up from a Shryke for sure, but not like a beefy OS glideless Destroyer.

Gstar Destroyers also bomb, but I think that stability is closer to the Shryke. I haven't thrown a really beat in Shryke though, and the few I have tried that were fresh surprised me with their stability.

I haven't thrown a beat Shryke either. The one I bag is a G* 168g. It was fairly flippy when I put it in the bag, and it hasn't gotten any more so.

Lately I've found that champion Shrykes have been good for all out rips. The last few I've tried haven't been flippy at all. They have high speed turn, but won't flip all the way over.

Old 03-12-2019, 09:15 PM

Niced 9 Times in 7 Posts

I only throw on average 350 365 max for backhands.

I currently bag a 162g Star and a 170 G* Shryke.
(Was turning over the same weight/plastic Terns). These Shryke are pretty sweet.

If you are turning over the Star plastic, Go to say a 171 ish Champ Shryke, it will have more stability.

I also bag 3 Innova Boss. A Starlite, a Star, and a Champ. This disc rocks. I have to replace the Starlite every season, but it is a real S bomber
in the lighter weights. For your arm, I would get a low 160 weight. New condition, it will amaze. When it gets worn, get another.

Old 03-12-2019, 11:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.9
Courses Played: 48
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 729 Times in 507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
Sheriffs are iffy when you start going over 400'. I wouldn't trust them for accuracy. Big, flippy S curve distance bombs.

The DDX is a little better option. It'll flip if you really get assertive, but generally is pretty easy to throw. I like the DDX because you can hammer on it and know it has enough late fade to come back late in flight.

I'd honestly rather throw DDXs on the course than Terns. DDXs accept harder throws without going all over the place.
That's all fine and good, but go back and read the OP. He's asking for a Sheriff.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:11 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,378 Times in 1,523 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
That's all fine and good, but go back and read the OP. He's asking for a Sheriff.
I dunno...every Sheriff I have thrown has been less stable than the star Shrykes I have tried. I really like the Sheriff but it's less stable.

Old 03-13-2019, 01:01 AM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 1,818 Times in 1,367 Posts

In the spirit of the below suggestions, I'd recommend a Pro Destroyer. Not as overstable as those 4x McBeths, and will season in nicely. Also, the new Wysocki Destroyers are said to be less overstable than the McBeth Destroyers.

[QUOTE=Twmccoy;3427930]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disc Golf Doctor View Post
I am looking for a new driver to fill out the bag. I lost my really beat-in destroyer that was quite understable which was my go to disc for big flex shots. After crying for a few weeks I replaced it with a star shryke, which I have loved. I can actually get a little more distance out of it compared with the destroyer. Prior to going with the shryke I tried several 4x star destroyers which were all ridiculously overstable that really are not usable for most drives. In general I really prefer using understable discs since the main course(s) I play at are fairly open in places and allow for big flex shots or at least hyzerflip shots. I also bag a lucid captain (which I found and was told to keep) and a mystere (very very understable) that I use only for specific holes/shots.
I have found that I really need something stability-wise that is a bit more in the middle. If I am throwing hard, I can't keep the shryke from turning at least to some degree. I really need something that I can throw hard at a slight hyzer that may flip up but not ride to the right. What is your experience with this? Any disc suggestions?
As context, I can throw at least 450.[/QUOTE]

If you need something beefier than a Shryke, but less beefy than a Destroyer, you might try a Defender. That or get a G* Destroyer. They tend to be a little mellower than regular star Destroyers. A star Boss would probably work too.
Quote:

Old 03-13-2019, 01:17 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
I dunno...every Sheriff I have thrown has been less stable than the star Shrykes I have tried. I really like the Sheriff but it's less stable.
Me too. Sheriffs are all over the place. I like lucid ones, but they'll still flip easier than a Shryke for me.

FWIW, I don't use either mold as a workhorse driver. I do bag a G* Shryke, but I only use it for downwind or calm open field bombs. Any shot where accuracy is a concern the Shryke will stay in the bag.

I think Shrykes have slightly more stability and are less likely to go bombing all over the place when thrown hard than Sheriffs. I can throw both molds about the same distance on hyzerflip lines.

I'd lump the Captain in with the Sheriff too. Wild and somewhat flippier than a Shryke.