Old 03-13-2019, 08:13 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.1
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,057 Times in 493 Posts

Star Wraith.
Show all the knuckleheads that an 11 speed is sufficient.
Sponsored Links

Old 03-13-2019, 08:51 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 304 Times in 210 Posts

[QUOTE=SD86;3428252]In the spirit of the below suggestions, I'd recommend a Pro Destroyer. Not as overstable as those 4x McBeths, and will season in nicely. Also, the new Wysocki Destroyers are said to be less overstable than the McBeth Destroyers.

FWIW, although I really enjoy my Pro Destroyer, in my limited experience of one disc each, it is way less stable than my Champ Shryke. Both of those discs are probably all over the place though.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:42 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.9
Courses Played: 48
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 729 Times in 507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
I dunno...every Sheriff I have thrown has been less stable than the star Shrykes I have tried. I really like the Sheriff but it's less stable.
Wow, not mine. I have seen one freak stable Shryke, but neither its owner nor I have been able to find another one.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,379 Times in 1,524 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
Wow, not mine. I have seen one freak stable Shryke, but neither its owner nor I have been able to find another one.
Weird. The only flippy Shryke I've thrown was Gstar, would easily turn it way over with my BH. All the stars I have thrown I think I've tried on FH lines first, I have a solid 375' golf FH with neutral drivers and they would only turn like -0.5 for me but have good speed and glide, considering the stability. A Sheriff at that same power will typically be -1.5ish and fly a pretty wide S line vs. a pushing hyzer that the Shryke does. Not the biggest sample size, probably a half dozen Sheriffs and 3-4 Shrykes. I'd love to try a Shryke with moderate turn, I bet it would be real long.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:40 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 1,818 Times in 1,367 Posts

Quote:
I'd love to try a Shryke with moderate turn, I bet it would be real long.
Try a Pro Shryke in lighter weight. What is 'light' for you to get some turn may not be the same as for me or others, so I won't suggest an exact weight, but my Pro Shryke is in the 150-class and bombs for my noodle arm.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 630 Times in 496 Posts

Quote:
Weird. The only flippy Shryke I've thrown was Gstar, would easily turn it way over with my BH. All the stars I have thrown I think I've tried on FH lines first, I have a solid 375' golf FH with neutral drivers and they would only turn like -0.5 for me but have good speed and glide, considering the stability. A Sheriff at that same power will typically be -1.5ish and fly a pretty wide S line vs. a pushing hyzer that the Shryke does. Not the biggest sample size, probably a half dozen Sheriffs and 3-4 Shrykes. I'd love to try a Shryke with moderate turn, I bet it would be real long.
I figure I've thrown about 15 Shrykes in G*, star, and champion. They're surprisingly similar. I haven't noticed any big variance. G*s are definitely flippiest, but not by a big margin. Stars are in the middle, and champions are the most overstable. I find G*s to be the longest, and champion to be the shortest. I only have 2 star Shrykes, and I might honestly like them best. Massive bombs and perfect stability. Champion Shrykes are shortest for me. That said, I still throw them longer than most other drivers. They just don't quite glide or hold an S curve flight as long as the other plastics.

Shryke high speed turn:

G*: -3
star: -2
champion: -1.5/2.... I have 1 or 2 champions that are more like -1. They're not flippy at all.

Sheriffs are different. Lucid Sheriffs have enough beef to not turn and burn. They're pretty solid distance bombers that will take power well. I'd put them in the -2 turn range. When you start getting into Fuzion or Biofuzion is where things go awry. Those plastics don't hold stability as well, and the Sheriffs made in those plastics can get very flippy. I had 1 Biofuzion Sheriff that was probably -4 high speed turn, and the disc wasn't even very beat.

FOR THE MOST PART Shrykes are more overstable than Sheriffs. There is an area of overlap, however.

Niced: (1)
Old 03-13-2019, 09:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 33
Niced 1,016 Times in 484 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Shoulder View Post
Star Wraith.

Yeah, came here to say Star Wraith.

Much more consistent mold.

If you can throw 450 with a Destroyer, you can throw 450 with a Wraith.

I'm a long time Destroyer thrower and considering going back to Wraiths paired with an Excal.

Niced: (2)
Old 03-14-2019, 03:36 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16
Courses Played: 25
Niced 610 Times in 523 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanJon View Post
Yeah, came here to say Star Wraith.

Much more consistent mold.

If you can throw 450 with a Destroyer, you can throw 450 with a Wraith.

I'm a long time Destroyer thrower and considering going back to Wraiths paired with an Excal.
Yeah it is more consistent mold however, Wraith too can have problems like a straight wing version, in dome height the Wraith is much less varied then the Destroyer. In plastic the Champion Wraith has never been almost Blizzard Champion like on the Destroyer. I am thinking of getting the Champion and maybe Star Wraith when my Champion Destroyer's fail, just Wraith is a speed slower version of the Destroyer. Orc is too a slower Destroyer but the wing is not the same feel and most since mid 2000's have had a domed top to them.

Niced: (1)

Last edited by Casey 1988; 03-14-2019 at 03:38 AM.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:39 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 9
Niced 101 Times in 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Shoulder View Post
Star Wraith.
I would have said the same a year ago, but I was amazed at the increase in distance with the speed 13 Shryke. It just comes out so fast when you put some power behind it. I did have a Gstar Krait that I loved and could get to a similar distance to my destoyer, but eventually had the combination of me throwing harder and the disc getting a bit flippier. Ended up using as a great flick roller disc (though can't find the disc for some reason).

Old 03-15-2019, 09:42 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 9
Niced 101 Times in 42 Posts

Thank you all for the thoughtful recommendations. I don't have too much experience outside of Innova besides the few discs I have found (I always reach out to the owners, so don't start that conversation here) and kept. Going to the store tomorrow, though still having fully decided which to get.