Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Travel & Meets > Vacations & Road Trips

Old 03-04-2010, 01:21 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 31.6
Courses Played: 1726
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 27 Times in 10 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to danhyzer
Default I'm off 2 Illinois, Wisconsin and Minnesota in mid May & would love 2 hear from

my fellow friends here at DGC review of their insight of their personal favorites I should play in the northern Illinois and the Chicago area, Wisconsin and Minnesota. I'm also interested in your least favorite DGc in those areas mentioned and why I shouldn't play. As I always hate going to a DGc and having that ugly feeling that something wrong will be done to my ride or worse yet to me in a park with a DGc or a community with a cool DGc.

God willing------------- - + Highbridge's DGc's will be my goal to get to and then I'll be heading towards Minnesota and then swing back to Chicagoland and back home to Ohio.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also can any body recommend any awesome restaurants along those roads. Or interesting points of interests (like a waterfall, or a unusual building or a museum or a gravesite)As that's part of the fun of traveling around playing as many different DGc's.
Sponsored Links

Last edited by danhyzer; 03-04-2010 at 01:24 PM.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:32 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 17
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

If you're in the Milwaukee, Wisconsin area, I'd definitely have to recommend Dretzka Park & Brown Deer Park.

Last edited by Trashthrasher; 03-04-2010 at 06:33 PM. Reason: I "spelling nazied" my own post.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.9
Courses Played: 1066
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 68 Times in 32 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to harr0140

I recommend skipping the Milwaukee bypass one of your directions either coming or going and swinging through Rockford one of those time and hitting Anna Page. tallpaul also is high on a course somewhat near Rockford I believe, but I dont remember the name of it.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:31 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 17.7
Courses Played: 828
Niced 31 Times in 19 Posts

The Anna Page courses are definitely the best anywhere near Chicago. Closer to the actual Chicago area, your best bet is to hit up the Joliet area for Highland Park, West Park, Community Park, The Oaks, Trinity Links etc.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:39 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 21.5
Courses Played: 92
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhyzer View Post
Also can any body recommend any awesome restaurants along those roads. Or interesting points of interests (like a waterfall, or a unusual building or a museum or a gravesite)As that's part of the fun of traveling around playing as many different DGc's.
If you actually make it up to Highbridge, there's more points of interest in that area than most of the state. Lake Superior and the Apostle Islands, waterfalls, Nicolet-Chequamegon Forest (with countless POI's of its own), shipwrecks, and Ashland, for starters. Definitely recommend St. Peter's Dome...it's a helluva hike, but well worth it to reach the highest point in the forest, and Morgan Falls (WI's 2nd-tallest waterfall) is also at the bottom of the hike.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhgonzo View Post
If you actually make it up to Highbridge, there's more points of interest in that area than most of the state. Lake Superior and the Apostle Islands, waterfalls, Nicolet-Chequamegon Forest (with countless POI's of its own), shipwrecks, and Ashland, for starters. Definitely recommend St. Peter's Dome...it's a helluva hike, but well worth it to reach the highest point in the forest, and Morgan Falls (WI's 2nd-tallest waterfall) is also at the bottom of the hike.
I like things like this but isn't recommending that sort of activity sacrilegious on a disc golf website. Its like saying hey, maybe you should cheat on your wife while you are in Vegas!

I put some of these types of things in my reviews, but you didnt mention anything disc golf related in this post.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:51 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 21.5
Courses Played: 92
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by harr0140 View Post
I like things like this but isn't recommending that sort of activity sacrilegious on a disc golf website. Its like saying hey, maybe you should cheat on your wife while you are in Vegas!

I put some of these types of things in my reviews, but you didnt mention anything disc golf related in this post.
Lemme fix that--if you make it up to Highbridge, be prepared to bust your ass playing some wicked courses, and if you've got some extra time, THEN you can cheat on your wife.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:06 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhgonzo View Post
Lemme fix that--if you make it up to Highbridge, be prepared to bust your ass playing some wicked courses, and if you've got some extra time, THEN you can cheat on your wife.
Not sure how I feel about the edit but at least it does say something about disc golf.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:13 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 36
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

If you play sandy point in lac du flambeau, you will never forget it. you can make a nice loop up through the center of the state, skip milwaukee and rockford altogether if you want to concentrate your time on real quality. try the madison courses, heistand in particular although token creek is on avery jenkins' top ten list. continue on to stevens point where youve got 3 gems in standing rocks, yulga (make sure its not a weekend), and nearby big eau pleine which i have not played but have heard good opinions of. keep going up highway 51 and skip over to sandy point, which is the finest short technical course i have played, and on a per hole basis is better than highbridge in my opinion, but i prefer short tech to long anything. then head west to highbridge, and from there you can start heading southwest towards minnesota, where i can no longer help you.

Old 03-05-2010, 12:18 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.6
Courses Played: 692
Niced 1,609 Times in 730 Posts

Depending on your timing, you might find it more efficient to hit Chicagoland (Lemon Lake in Hammond?) swing toward Mpls (hitting Justin Trails in Sparta on the way there) before heading to Highbridge (via Eau Claire for Tower Ridge) and then come back thru the Upper Peninsula and down thru Michigan (Flip city?) to come home.