Old 02-28-2018, 03:49 PM
**SuIciDe AnKles**

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 690
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 880 Times in 380 Posts

Stay in Rec. Crush the competition. Build up that pdga page.
Sponsored Links

Old 02-28-2018, 04:02 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 17.4
Courses Played: 360
Niced 742 Times in 262 Posts

The lower the division you play in, the more erratic your competition will be from event to event, as people in those bottom divisions tend not to become regulars there. They either move up, or the event they attend is the one of the few they go to.

This is why I say wins in rec and novice usually don't mean crap in determining when to move up. Seeing how you would have done in the above division is a better barometer.
Old 02-28-2018, 04:09 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 116
Niced 296 Times in 145 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarpfish View Post
The lower the division you play in, the more erratic your competition will be from event to event, as people in those bottom divisions tend not to become regulars there. They either move up, or the event they attend is the one of the few they go to.

This is why I say wins in rec and novice usually don't mean crap in determining when to move up. Seeing how you would have done in the above division is a better barometer.
Agreed, IF you play the same tees. Obviously, if you play AM 3 shoot 54 or whatever from the shorts while the winner of AM 2 shoots 51 to win from the longs, you're still a ways away from hanging in AM 2.
Old 02-28-2018, 04:32 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 7
Niced 164 Times in 96 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddL View Post
This is a common problem, especially in "undeveloped" disc golf territory. I think it all comes back to the Pro field. The PDGA says the pro field should be made of players 970 and above. If you live in North Dakota, you have three (3!) players in the state who should be considered pros. In your local tournaments, you might have three or four players above 970, so a lot of the mid-level MA1 players (940) move up to MPO to try to win some cash. That leaves a void in the MA1 field, so the mid-level MA2 players (900) move up to MA1. Then the MA3 players move up to MA2.

IMO, it's not your fault that there aren't enough professional players in ND. If the 940 guys want to play MPO, that's their prerogative. If the 880 guys want to play MA1, that's their choice. You can move up or stay where you are; either way should be fine.
Wow, thanks for pulling those numbers and giving a great explanation. I am in ND, and I think what you said is exactly right. The majority of 880+ rated players around here will typically play advanced, and usually place pretty well. I think I’m going to stay in Rec, and will re-evaluate once my rating passes 850. Since most of the tournaments I’ll ever play are in ND, I probably shouldn’t live and die by the PDGA recommendations.

As a side note, it seems crazy to me that you’re considered “rec” rated until your rating is at 900. But I would guess there’s a separate thread on this subject.
Old 03-01-2018, 02:42 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 335
Niced 636 Times in 308 Posts

if you play in the lowest division for which you qualify, you'll probably be more relaxed and play better. i know that i sometimes end up watching a bunch of guys with 50-75 ratings points on me tee off first and then i'm tempted to try the same line. it's usually a disaster and i should know better but sometimes you start to think you can pull it off, especially if they all hit the line easily.

some people make the opposite argument and i can see their point too. playing in rec sometimes means playing with a card full of people who don't really know the rules, don't know courtesy, and care more about getting $hithoused than golfing. that can be frustrating and distracting.

it's pretty reasonable and prudent to play your rating until you have enough tournament experience to decide that you might be better off moving up. someone has to win rec, why not you?

Niced: (1)
Old 03-01-2018, 04:05 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 35.5
Courses Played: 120
Niced 76 Times in 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimb View Post
I played my first tournament in Rec. I ended up winning the division and got called a bagger.

This happened to me too, and I can barely throw 300ft.

Old 03-01-2018, 09:39 AM
**SuIciDe AnKles**

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 690
Niced 880 Times in 380 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audible Vibration View Post
Wow, thanks for pulling those numbers and giving a great explanation. I am in ND, and I think what you said is exactly right. The majority of 880+ rated players around here will typically play advanced, and usually place pretty well. I think I’m going to stay in Rec, and will re-evaluate once my rating passes 850. Since most of the tournaments I’ll ever play are in ND, I probably shouldn’t live and die by the PDGA recommendations.

As a side note, it seems crazy to me that you’re considered “rec” rated until your rating is at 900. But I would guess there’s a separate thread on this subject.
It's very regional. 880 guys would get absolutely crushed in Advanced around here. Hell, they'd mostly get crushed in Intermediate.

Old 03-01-2018, 09:46 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.1
Courses Played: 103
Niced 223 Times in 111 Posts

Remember, if you play above your rating and don't like it, you're not stuck there.

Old 03-01-2018, 09:58 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.5
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,964 Times in 1,170 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardoggy View Post
It's very regional. 880 guys would get absolutely crushed in Advanced around here. Hell, they'd mostly get crushed in Intermediate.
Yep. that is the case in the Mid-Atlantic as well, although we did have an 895 rated player take 1st out of 43 advanced players at our local B tier last weekend with a 1000 rated second round. That is definitely an anomaly though.

Old 03-01-2018, 10:33 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 145
Niced 1,265 Times in 639 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardoggy View Post
Yeah, people here tend to only move up when they are forced to. Not unusual to see 895 players in Rec in A or B tiers, and 970+ players in Adv.