Old 03-10-2018, 11:44 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 35.5
Courses Played: 120
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 76 Times in 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_dave View Post
I don't think we knew how good we had it with Verdugo Hills.....now I'm sad.
It was a very fun course, and being lit up at night, plus a bar & grill made it even better!
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 04-20-2018, 05:28 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 75
Niced 58 Times in 32 Posts

My anxiety level is kind of off the chart, wondering if Sugaree will reopen in May. I'm afraid to ask. It's like that first time falling in love with a girl, everything in the world is sunny and the birds are singing, and then she tells you she's moving somewhere so far away, that you'll never see her again. You can feel your heart skip a few beats. Your stomach sinks, you look for somewhere to sit down. That's how I feel about the special courses in my life.

Old 04-20-2018, 05:34 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 170
Niced 65 Times in 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmanchette View Post
My anxiety level is kind of off the chart, wondering if Sugaree will reopen in May. I'm afraid to ask. It's like that first time falling in love with a girl, everything in the world is sunny and the birds are singing, and then she tells you she's moving somewhere so far away, that you'll never see her again. You can feel your heart skip a few beats. Your stomach sinks, you look for somewhere to sit down. That's how I feel about the special courses in my life.
I think I remember reading that Mando doesn't want to have Sugaree listed any longer, but it's not closing. Would love to be able to play that one someday.

Old 04-20-2018, 05:44 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 75
Niced 58 Times in 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenanFlagler01 View Post
I think I remember reading that Mando doesn't want to have Sugaree listed any longer, but it's not closing. Would love to be able to play that one someday.
It's everything you've heard it is! Unique. Beautiful. Extreme. Tough. Rewarding. Fun. The topography there is just about the most otherworldly I have ever seen, as someone that has not strayed far from The NC Piedmont. We need unique courses, like this, lest our heart and soul feel lost, and empty.

Old 04-20-2018, 06:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 53
Niced 5,741 Times in 2,966 Posts

I think in terms of uniqueness, Crystal City has to win this debate, right?...
Old 04-20-2018, 09:38 PM
* Ace No More *

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 332
Niced 4,732 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
I think in terms of uniqueness, Crystal City has to win this debate, right?...
As you said, "in terms of uniqueness," Crystal City at least has to be in the conversation. It wasn't necessarily great DG, but it was unlike any other course I've played. The ultimate glow round with walls and ceilings, atmosphere completely unlike anything else.

Often misstated as being in a cave, it was underground, but in a former silica mine, and completely man-made... so no geologic formations like stalactites or stalagmites. It was a maze of intersecting tunnels with fairways of extremely fine sand that found it's way into everything... found it's way into compartments in my bag that were zipped shut the entire time.

Niced: (2)
Old 04-20-2018, 10:15 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 46.5
Courses Played: 427
Niced 2,294 Times in 1,093 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
...atmosphere completely unlike anything else..
Yeah, 50/50 combination of air and dust.

Old 04-20-2018, 10:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 227
Niced 4,090 Times in 2,478 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmanchette View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenanFlagler01 View Post
He told me last week it's closed for good, unless he gets new knees which is unlikely.
Old 04-20-2018, 11:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.4
Courses Played: 127
Niced 5,418 Times in 2,096 Posts

Well, aren't you the bearer of bad news.

Old 04-21-2018, 09:00 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.4
Courses Played: 127
Niced 5,418 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Gran Canyon, Brooksville, FL
Still Waters Farm, Govan, SC

Are two of my Top-5 all-time. Until recently I considered the Canyon the best course I'd ever played.

Stonhenge, Nashville, TN is pretty high on my list, as well

Met a guy Sunday who had played Laurel Springs, which I just missed playing and is now about 15 years extinct.
Well, things have changed a bit in the 5 1/2 years since I posted that. The Canyon has gone from extinct to virtually-extinct, mystically appearing as a temp course once a year, not in its original configuration but still awful good. In the meantime, Hampton Park, the annual temp course in Charleston, SC that was also one of my all-time favorites, is only a memory now.

Now, Sugaree?

What hasn't changed is my advice to support and love your local private courses. You don't know how long they'll be with you. And don't take your favorite public courses for granted, either---you never know when the local government or community will decide they have a better use for the land, so try not to give them extra reasons to consider alternatives to the disc golf course.