Old 04-08-2019, 05:16 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 100
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 370 Times in 185 Posts
Default Paver tee numbers.

Okay, this is related to my other thread, but this thread is about an idea that I had to mark tee pads, using different paver colors, thusly:

I have two alternatives in mind:

1. The course will have 9 holes that are readily accessible while we are awaiting the building of some footbridges by the city. This may take a few years. In that case, I would like to number the 9 accessible tee boxes like in the image even though these numbers will be different from the affected holes sequence in the full 18 holes. In this case, the numbers will not match the baskets.

2. Just number the holes like the baskets, i.e., in the correct 18-hole sequence, even though it may be a couple of years, or longer, before the full 18 is accessible.

My thoughts are that because we are building paver tee pads, that it would be possible to change in the future if problems arise, but I guess I'm curious if those of you who may have done or avoided doing something like this think that it may be too confusing or too ineffective to be worthwhile.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 04-08-2019, 05:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 53
Niced 5,743 Times in 2,968 Posts

What image?
Old 04-08-2019, 05:27 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.4
Courses Played: 102
Niced 1,031 Times in 471 Posts

I see the image.

As much as I like the idea of having the numbers on the tee, how much extra work do you think you will have later to change them? If it's a lot of work, and time then I would go with your second option.

People playing will understand if the course is a work in progress, but confusing holes/signs/tees are frustrating to navigate. At least they are for me.

Old 04-08-2019, 06:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 53
Niced 5,743 Times in 2,968 Posts

Yea, that is kinda cool but it would be a pain if you ever had to renumber them. Probably be easier to turn one of the pavers into a marker. Glue on plaque or painted on number. Plaque could be cool. There are some around town at old Steady Courses that have distance and a crude map on them. Those aren't on the tee though, they are on a small concrete pad and maybe 8" round.
Old 04-08-2019, 06:53 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 31.7
Courses Played: 711
Niced 2,666 Times in 1,118 Posts

I would probably go with the first row of pavers one color and the rest another color so you create a foul line. Even if players don't follow it precisely, except perhaps for tournaments, they are still likely to release before the end of the pad so it should help reduce erosion in the run out area. Then, spray paint the hole numbers correct for the current layout on the front left or right paver using a good old fashioned block number stencil set. When the layout changes, just paint over the numbers and stencil new numbers where needed.
Old 04-08-2019, 08:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.4
Courses Played: 127
Niced 5,447 Times in 2,106 Posts

I think it's a pretty cool idea, myself.

And it'll look terrific in drone footage.

Old 04-08-2019, 08:15 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
I would probably go with the first row of pavers one color and the rest another color so you create a foul line. Even if players don't follow it precisely, except perhaps for tournaments, they are still likely to release before the end of the pad so it should help reduce erosion in the run out area. Then, spray paint the hole numbers correct for the current layout on the front left or right paver using a good old fashioned block number stencil set. When the layout changes, just paint over the numbers and stencil new numbers where needed.
Yep, that would definitely be easier. With the colors pavers I would never have to worry about repainting, but much more difficult to change.

I worry about the foul line causing trouble in tournaments. Have you dealt with any related issues, disputed foot faults and such with foul lines on the tee box itself?
Old 04-08-2019, 08:23 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 31.7
Courses Played: 711
Niced 2,666 Times in 1,118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doofenshmirtz View Post
Yep, that would definitely be easier. With the colors pavers I would never have to worry about repainting, but much more difficult to change.

I worry about the foul line causing trouble in tournaments. Have you dealt with any related issues, disputed foot faults and such with foul lines on the tee box itself?
Players tend to not know that it's a foul line when you create one in some fashion unless you actually paint or embed the letters "Foul Line" in the break line. In fact, some think you're supposed to launch from in front of the line! However, I do think it's a good idea on general principles to get players to release farther back from the front line for erosion reduction and also just reducing clumsy releases where the player is stepping on the front edge of the pad and hurts their ankle.

Old 04-09-2019, 10:49 AM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 46.5
Courses Played: 427
Niced 2,296 Times in 1,094 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doofenshmirtz View Post
...that it would be possible to change in the future if problems arise...
It's not a good idea to rely on resources being available to change things in the future. You might not be around, the landowner might not be around, etc.

Match the baskets with the tee pads. It works now, and will continue to work.

Besides, it plants the seed for adding holes if someone else takes over in a few years and wonders why there are gaps in the numbers.

Old 04-09-2019, 01:41 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
It's not a good idea to rely on resources being available to change things in the future. You might not be around, the landowner might not be around, etc.

Match the baskets with the tee pads. It works now, and will continue to work.

Besides, it plants the seed for adding holes if someone else takes over in a few years and wonders why there are gaps in the numbers.
The holes will actually already be there. They just won't be accessible, that is, they won't be easily enough accessible for tournaments or for counting on first timers being able to find them.

My inclination is to match the baskets. I also have a not previously mentioned alternative route motive for numbering differently, but it would probably lead to endless confusion so it will remain unmentioned.