Old 05-21-2020, 05:18 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 27
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 137 Times in 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFleming View Post
While playing doubles, my partner let me throw his Wysocki Pig one time. It was amazing. I went out an bought a Pig, but it was an R-Pro Pig. Not the same - the Wysocki Pig is flatter which works for my forehand. I found they aren't being made anymore - they are a Tour version, so until he tours again there won't be more made. I have two - but when I lose them I don't think I'll be able to replace them (I am hoping there will be a 2021 version). The Innova Rat comes close, but it is a different speed (4 speed where the Pig is 3).
There are plenty of flat R-Pro Pigs, sounds like you got one that molded up with more dome. Like any other disc the Pig has some variation from run to run. I’ve bought plenty of board flat R-Pro before, although the recent embossed runs I purchased a few months back all had sizable domes for a Pig. The hot water trick flattened them right up. I also hope that the Wysocki Pig gets another run, that firmer plastic feels nice.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 05-21-2020, 05:39 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 12
Niced 574 Times in 399 Posts

So I'm definitely contributing to this "problem". My most obvious culprits are the Cryztal Luna and Fierce that I bag, but only have the 1 as they aren't cheap and I missed release day on the Fierce. Seeing the price people are paying for 4x Zones has me selling what I have before the market crashes on those, and as a reault I've switched to a 5x and a Cryztal FLX to replace them.

I've got a bunch of throwable invome right now, and am stocking up on what I like to throw for drivers and mids (I'm at 8 Wasps, 8 Comets, 9 Stalkers) but it's usually a "less desirable" mold that you don't usually see on the course. I'm gonna be making about a $300 order tomorrow but some of that will be to save shipping for a couple of friends.

I'm a pizza delivery guy during a pandemic let me reward myself.

Niced: (2)
Old 05-21-2020, 06:14 PM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 18.7
Courses Played: 42
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,273 Times in 633 Posts

Vic, what do I do if I already own all this boutique plastic?

I could spend the time to weigh, Sleepy, photograph, upload, post, PM (I loathe that "DM" is the new pop culture version), PM some more (stop lowballing), package, run to the PO and ship...for a debatable profit.

Or I could be lazy and just throw the stuff. Someone above said they typically only lose drivers and I agree (downside to a solid arm combined with woods golf). I just posted in the Comet thread about '19 Sparkle Zs and I highly doubt I'll ever lose that disc...just simply isn't thrown in those situations very often. I also seldom play near unsearchable water (mostly small creeks I can go in).

Most important arguement is no "old friend" can be properly replaced. I don't care if it's stock DX or a 4/10 tourny stamped CE you've have for 20 years...literally nothing will replace a beat disc.

I've never spent crazy money on a disc but I've absolutely purchased OOP/LE discs before. For instance I'm a recent Wasp convert and prefer ESP to most any plastic on the market. Ended up with nearly 10 of the ESP Ledgestones which is superfluous but I also didn't have a back stock to begin with. I've been playing so long I know my game, what I'm capable of, and what I should be throwing to score well. $200 to never need another stable/overstable midrange again in my life? I'm 30...sounds good to me!

Yes disc golf can be a cheap sport, yes it used to solely be so, but now you can buy $300+ bags, custom polo shirts, boutique "birdy bags", pay to play courses, and it's even made top10 ESPN. My lifetime supply of Wasps is worth less than MOST THINGS IN MY LIFE. Car maintenance, childs clothing, computer, dresser, bed, coffee table, a week of college classes, Nintendo Switch . . .

Old 05-21-2020, 06:16 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 394 Times in 224 Posts

Fancy discs definitely don’t save me any strokes but I don’t think they hurt my game either.

The cool thing about disc golf is that it definitely favors the Indian rather than the arrow.

I can bag twenty special discs in cool plastics, with limited edition stamps, that cost me $20 each or more and some kid shows up in a beat up Honda Civic with three discs he picked up at the local sporting goods store and totally cleans my clock out on the course.

Does that mean I’ve just wasted money on my $400 worth of discs? Maybe. But if I like them and they make me happy then I’ll keep buying them and throwing them and have fun shooting my crappy rounds just the same.

Old 05-21-2020, 06:22 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.9
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 286 Times in 172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HERB brooks View Post
There are plenty of flat R-Pro Pigs, sounds like you got one that molded up with more dome. Like any other disc the Pig has some variation from run to run. I’ve bought plenty of board flat R-Pro before, although the recent embossed runs I purchased a few months back all had sizable domes for a Pig. The hot water trick flattened them right up. I also hope that the Wysocki Pig gets another run, that firmer plastic feels nice.
I threw (or attempted to throw) the R-Pro Pig and just could not get it to fly well. I've looked at other R-Pro Pigs since then and they have all been domey. Maybe from the same run, maybe the mold changed....I don't know - but I sure do love my Wysocki Pig and am not looking forward to losing them and having to find a replacement. Maybe, I'll find one of those flat-top R-Pro Pigs when the time comes.
Old 05-21-2020, 06:35 PM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 18.7
Courses Played: 42
Niced 1,273 Times in 633 Posts

Sorry for the double post. I forgot one main point...pretty discs should fly! Nothing wrong with having something as art on your wall, but think of all those puuuurty discs sitting in all of our closets.

Sadpanda.jpg

Old 05-21-2020, 06:46 PM
Par Member

Niced 155 Times in 72 Posts

I like the boutique discs, personally.

Only marginally more expensive.

If I lose a disc, only lost three in a decade plus, someone is getting a cool disc- they'll probably love it.

Disc golf is still much cheaper than my other passions.
Old 05-21-2020, 07:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 91
Niced 1,585 Times in 792 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GripEnemy View Post
Vic, what do I do if I already own all this boutique plastic?
We're on the same wavelength on this one. 100% agreement from me

Niced: (1)
Old 05-21-2020, 08:12 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.2
Courses Played: 407
Niced 390 Times in 168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorB View Post
...Do you prefer wide availability, or do you favor the 'coolness' factor of the special runs and plastics?...
I like fancy...

I’ve got 21 discs in my bag. 2 are current production DX Rocs. The rest are custom stamps, LE runs, or old production/PFN/etc.

Old 05-21-2020, 09:39 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 43
Niced 91 Times in 52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
The only exceptions thus far have been:
150 Z Storm... I genuinely think this disc has saved me strokes. It's my go to for stand and deliver distance or uphill lies where I've still got a good disance to go.
I was going thru my discs this past week and noticed I had a First Run 150 Z Storm. Don't know much about them. Is it generally worth anything used with ink on the inner rim?