Old 05-21-2020, 09:53 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 20
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 349 Times in 198 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorB View Post
Do you prefer wide availability, or do you favor the 'coolness' factor of the special runs and plastics? There's not really a wrong way to do it - to each their own!
I love the Ace Race and I played in 2016, 2018, 2019, but collected some from overstock past years when I was new and tried all of the ones from 2010 on and liked a bunch of them. The problem is, a lot of the ace race discs I liked either went OOP (2010 hornet) or changed their plastic (2018 sol) or the mold slightly (2013 mantis). I ended up buying a few of the AR mantises here from another DGCR person and I bought a bunch of the ESP FLX-ish AR sols from the local TD.
But otherwise, I stick with stock, and even then sometimes it's not that easy to find what I'm looking for unless it's max weight.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2020, 09:56 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 43
Niced 91 Times in 52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFlickLuke View Post
...If I lose a disc, only lost three in a decade plus...
Damn, that must be nice. I quit counting my lost discs a long time ago when I hit over 100. Guess it is the casualty of having a home course with water and super thick brush.
Old 05-21-2020, 10:05 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 43
Niced 91 Times in 52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobfish View Post
I love the Ace Race and I played in 2016, 2018, 2019, but collected some from overstock past years when I was new and tried all of the ones from 2010 on and liked a bunch of them. The problem is, a lot of the ace race discs I liked either went OOP (2010 hornet) or changed their plastic (2018 sol) or the mold slightly (2013 mantis). I ended up buying a few of the AR mantises here from another DGCR person and I bought a bunch of the ESP FLX-ish AR sols from the local TD.
But otherwise, I stick with stock, and even then sometimes it's not that easy to find what I'm looking for unless it's max weight.
I have bagged the 2010 ESP Hornet ever since that Ace Race. The ESP plastic version never went into production, so I considered it OOP from the get go. I picked up a stack of 10 or so in 2010 for cheap. Lost a couple over the years and bought a few over the years when I saw them selling for $15 or less. Still have 13 of them. Love the disc, but still won't pay over $20 for one. Will switch to a different disc before I do that.

Niced: (2)
Old 05-21-2020, 10:32 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 20
Niced 349 Times in 198 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRW III View Post
I have bagged the 2010 ESP Hornet ever since that Ace Race. The ESP plastic version never went into production, so I considered it OOP from the get go. I picked up a stack of 10 or so in 2010 for cheap. Lost a couple over the years and bought a few over the years when I saw them selling for $15 or less. Still have 13 of them. Love the disc, but still won't pay over $20 for one. Will switch to a different disc before I do that.
I had three AR hornets, but I lost the 165 that I liked. I had two 160s, and I gave one away because I didn't need it, and the other one I dyed but I never really liked it as much as the 165, also because it had a huge gouge in it. There was a brief moment a couple years ago when Infinite must have gotten some old stock to sell and I bought a 165 Z hornet, but either my technique changed significantly or the Z never flew like the AR. I'm guessing it's a little of both, though probably heavier on my technique. My Z hornet will hold a nice hyzer line, but if it turns at all, it never comes back, kind of like my BigZ Heat, except that I expect that from the heat when I throw it. The Z hornet is too picky for me.

Niced: (1)
Old 05-21-2020, 10:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 5
Niced 1,348 Times in 894 Posts

I had a couple two or three hornets, I liked one of them, too finicky for my extra crappy FH back then..

I tend to buy collector or SE run discs and throw em, I don't lose many around here.. I "try" not to but damn I love em, usually get a backup or two. Keep a bunch of utility stuff too.. I don't really collect as much as acquire too many.

Yeah I love custom discs too I just gotta admit it, I have two custom dyes that are totally awesome, the chainsaw arm Ash dye is on my profile, I got him to add the red disc there in the left hand, I'm a lefty. I f___in love it!!!! 165 plasma orange pearl Envy.. Flat almost puddle top, it's a thrower. So sexy..

See what happened to me!!! I even believe different colours fly differently. I swore I'd never believe that crap! I even believe dye makes it better, largely due to stamping and the cleaning before hand but I'm crazy.

Last edited by ThrowaEnvy; 05-21-2020 at 10:45 PM.
Old 05-21-2020, 10:45 PM
* Ace No More *

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 332
Niced 4,734 Times in 2,069 Posts

Quote:
I was going thru my discs this past week and noticed I had a First Run 150 Z Storm. Don't know much about them. Is it generally worth anything used with ink on the inner rim?
If you really want to know, you should post it in the what's this disc worth thread along with some pix.

I'm no expert on the value of OOP plastic, but...
it all comes down to finding the right buyer.

I don't think it's particularly valuable, because:
A. The Storm's simply not really popular as a mold. You aren't gonna find a bunch of Storm throwers, and...
B. If you find one, chances are they throw something in the 170-175 range, not 150's.
First Run adds a bit of exclusivity.

Yes the supply might be limited, but demand for that disc might be even limited. Just basic economics. Rim ink isn't that bad, but it can only be a negative on value.

I already have a few of backups, myself.

Old 05-22-2020, 12:06 AM
Par Member

Niced 155 Times in 72 Posts

Quote:
Damn, that must be nice. I quit counting my lost discs a long time ago when I hit over 100. Guess it is the casualty of having a home course with water and super thick brush.
Haha, I have brush, but no water on any courses I frequent.

One thing I've almost never done is thrown a second disc off the tee. Maybe ten times ever.
Old 05-22-2020, 01:29 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.2
Courses Played: 17
Niced 278 Times in 141 Posts

Heh, just fell victim to this when I got the 1010discs email that new Discraft signature stuff was out. Within 2 minutes I had missed out on my first choices, but grabbed an Elite Z Luna & Buzz, a Hades, and Malta. Oh disc golf, you are a silly bugger. Suppose I'm part of the problem, sorry lol.
Old 05-22-2020, 01:59 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 12
Niced 574 Times in 399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco40 View Post
Heh, just fell victim to this when I got the 1010discs email that new Discraft signature stuff was out. Within 2 minutes I had missed out on my first choices, but grabbed an Elite Z Luna & Buzz, a Hades, and Malta. Oh disc golf, you are a silly bugger. Suppose I'm part of the problem, sorry lol.
I feel that. MSt was already sold out of most pf the good Hades, and all PP Buzzes when I got on at 12:15. I ended up spending $450 between MSt and Infinite to get what I wanted amd free shipping. About $125 or so isn't for me, but by far the biggest order I've ever placed (previous biggest was $210 when the first 4x stuff came out for 3 of each).

I ended up with 6 Hades (4 MSt, 2 Infinite), 3 Buzzzes, 1 Zone, 2 Lunas, 2 Stalkers (1 from both), 1 Wasp, 1 Raptor, 1 Comet and a bunch of others that were interesting to me. In total I've got 26 (17 @ $300 from MSt, amd 9@ $160 from Infinite)discs coming to me.

Last edited by ILUVSMGS18; 05-22-2020 at 02:03 AM.

Old 05-22-2020, 02:10 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

I guess I like fancy then cause I’ve been through several phases in my disc golf career where I threw stock to start and then started collecting OOP stuff and throwing several. Before I knew it my whole bag was the expensive hard to replace stuff. Then I realized what happens if I lose this or that then what am I gonna do. So I sold most of it, made my money back and started buying stock stuff again. Fast forward to recent I pulled all my old stuff back out that I didn’t sell and for ****s and gigs started taking them to the course and that was it...I fell back in love with the old destroyers, 11x teebirds, eagles, firebirds, etc and because of this god forsaken pandemic I’ve been finding myself with more time on my hands and have been hitting the Facebook sites nonstop for the old stuff. It’s been fun now that I’m older and have some disposable income and can find some gems. Even though I’m buying the good stuff I still try to find some bargains and the way I look at it I’d I can go spend $17-$20 at my local shop for the stock stuff or I can enjoy this $30 11x eagle or AJ destroyer for a few bucks more. For my final thoughts I will say this...I’ve never been a great golfer but I can play alright and I’ve never been playing better until recently when I put the oldies back in the bag. Take it for what it’s worth just sayin

Last edited by Yankeecock; 05-22-2020 at 02:12 AM.