*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 25.9
Courses Played: 138
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 3,682 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
Closest disc to the Areo is the Wham-O Max Flight
Casey, Casey, Casey...the closest disc to the Aero is the Rubber Putter. C'mon, man!
Sponsored Links

Niced: (3)
Old 07-22-2020, 11:13 AM
*Super Moderator*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shide View Post
The Aero is like a larger Dart. It's great for straight shots. I really missed the Aero since going all-Michigan made discs last year. So I started throwing the Zeppelin (2011 Ace Race) and it is actually my putter now. I've managed to pick up a few additional ones over the past year, in addition to my original Ace Race discs. I really like the feel of it in my hand; it's actually weird to try using a "normal" size putter now.

I've been able to pick up a few Habits as well, and can't see any diff from the Zeppelin.
The Zeppelin reminded me of the Aero a lot. It was maybe a tick understable compared to the Aero, but really close.

To me they are both straight long approach/short midrange discs that in theory sound good and I should have a use for, but in practice I just never used and couldn't justify carrying around. There is already an overlap with the far range of my putters and the short range of my mids, and sticking another disc in that mix just didn't work for me.

The Zeppelin has a better putter profile than the Aero, but I never thought to use it for putting. Does it tend to lift more than a small-diameter putter?
Old 07-22-2020, 12:23 PM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 220
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,636 Times in 849 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
Upshots with a Comet? Eh...

I mean I love that when I throw Comets as a mid that they all the time are 20' farther than I thought they should be, but for upshots that could be a problem.
I think the argument could be made that a beveled Polecat at 180g is a Comet. It's most definitely not an upshot mold though. That's what Polecats are for.
Old 07-22-2020, 12:42 PM
*Super Moderator*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexplz View Post
I was thinking the other day watching some coverage, that it seems like I would be pretty comfortable throwing floaty, touchy upshots with a larger diameter speed-2 or so disc. Something like an Aviar but bigger - I guess maybe that's the Aero??

Looking at the profile of the Aero on the innova site though, it looks a little too Mako-ish or even Dart-ish... I am thinking like a true blue beveled Aviar shaped nose and rim width, but in a wider diameter package.

Imagine a disc that coexists in a bag with a Proxy - like, super straight, but also super slow and able to be better controlled on slow annys and such.

I think what I am looking for is like, a beveled Polecat in 180g.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
I think the argument could be made that a beveled Polecat at 180g is a Comet. It's most definitely not an upshot mold though. That's what Polecats are for.
Gotcha, we are just pulling two different things out of the OP. I'm trying to answer the larger diameter approach disc part and you are addressing the beveled Polecat part. My bad; communication fail.
Old 07-22-2020, 05:32 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 628 Times in 412 Posts

More than anything I see a bit of a disconnect between seeking something floaty and neutral for an upshot and using a minimum diameter disc.
Old 07-22-2020, 06:00 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 17
Niced 1,526 Times in 788 Posts

Quote:
More than anything I see a bit of a disconnect between seeking something floaty and neutral for an upshot and using a minimum diameter disc.
JB Roach does it pretty well for a normal diameter putter.
Old 07-22-2020, 08:07 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 17.4
Courses Played: 25
Niced 1,213 Times in 1,000 Posts

Quote:
Casey, Casey, Casey...the closest disc to the Aero is the Rubber Putter. C'mon, man!
Actually that is normal 175 gram diameter, the mold has a bead to it. So the Areo is beadles unlike the older Eagle that is beaded or I thought was beaded, that is why the Rubber Putter has a bead to it.

Another good big diameter disc is the one by Innova that is the 190 gram max diameter but it is only made in specific weights for individual plastics. The Super Sonic __plastic or 235 mold, goes by both names from Hero discs depending on if Innova is selling the disc mold or Hero Disc is but is the same disc used for mostly dog stuff though some people use the mold. This mold is like a Sonic/215 but more fastback like and mostly comes in lighter weighs in premium plastics.
Old 07-22-2020, 08:22 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 17.4
Courses Played: 25
Niced 1,213 Times in 1,000 Posts

Quote:
Not really if you go lightweight and lid/fastback style that is minimum diameter. If you want floating and neutral to OS that is not a lid then larger diameter at least 180 gram max diameter is a must. There are a few exceptions to the rule like the XD/Colt/#2 Upshot discs for a putter if gotten in lighter weights.
Old 07-23-2020, 11:45 AM
*Super Moderator*

Quote:
Really I think most of us don't want a big floaty upshot disc for general use because the floaty glide thing makes it hard to range. I'd rather throw a putter at it that doesn't have a lot of glide that will stay where I throw it. Floaty glide brings in an accuracy variable I would rather avoid. If I have a long approach, I'd rather just throw my more accurate putter harder to get there.

I use a small diamter understable glide disc for touch turnovers on lines I can't get my putter the execute, and it can get me in more trouble than it gets me out of because of the somewhat unpredictable range issue. I think if it had a large diameter that problem would be even worse.

tl;dr: Big and floaty works for me when I'm waaayyy out throwing a drive, but it's just not accurate enough for my 10' putting range.

Old 07-23-2020, 12:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.9
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,531 Times in 883 Posts

Quote:
Upshots with a Comet? Eh...

I mean I love that when I throw Comets as a mid that they all the time are 20' farther than I thought they should be, but for upshots that could be a problem.
I love Comets for upshots where the ceiling is high. I just put it on a spike hyzer angle. I am more accurate with a Comet around the 100 - 140 range than a putter or a fairway.

On low ceilings I am more likely to use my Wasp or Envy.

Last edited by wolfmandragon; 07-23-2020 at 12:05 PM.