Old 10-06-2020, 02:15 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.8
Courses Played: 43
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 91 Times in 52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigles View Post
I have been shopping on discgolfcenter.com for 10 years now.

Checked after i saw this thread. Zero Buzzzes in premium plastic left. Zero Zones. I am in shock.
That is pretty amazing. They were always very deep in their disc selection and especially in their top sellers.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2020, 02:19 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.8
Courses Played: 43
Niced 91 Times in 52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShopTom.com View Post
It's all COVID! Roughly speaking, manufacturing halved due to mandatory shutdowns while demand doubled because people wanted out of the house. That means I have 25% of what I need. My regular customers will still by something while I get caught up and new players will buy anything that's in stock. With the holidays approaching I recommend gift cards to support your favorite dealers of disc golf and beyond.
Curious, has your overall sales decreased during the pandemic with the supply shortages or have you been able to keep steady by selling alternate choices you can get in stock.

Completely understand if that is information you don't make public.
Old 10-06-2020, 02:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.6
Courses Played: 158
Niced 805 Times in 323 Posts

Our local shop has had the most trouble with getting Discraft orders filled. Everything else has been coming in, although in smaller quantities and less frequently.
Old 10-06-2020, 02:29 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 42
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 735 Times in 281 Posts

The used disc market is going to be flooded in 6-18 months...or maybe never if we all die of COVID.

I came across a recent update (within the last week) of a “Is this disc right for you?” video for a disc that is pretty much out of stock everywhere. There’s always the used bin at the course — “oh, that’s the disc they said is right for me — but I’m not sure it’s a great idea for your social media to be pushing a disc that’s currently absent from the market. But, I’m bad at business. Maybe that’s called manufacturing anticipation. Easier at the moment to manufacture than discs.

Old 10-06-2020, 02:33 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.9
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 286 Times in 172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmonty View Post
Our local shop has had the most trouble with getting Discraft orders filled. Everything else has been coming in, although in smaller quantities and less frequently.
Don't quote me, but I seem to recall that the state Discraft is in required them to shut down completely. They were able to reopen, but it takes a while to get caught up with production.

Again, that's what I recall hearing.....

Old 10-06-2020, 02:45 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 67 Times in 38 Posts

I buy from DGC and they seem to be out of just about everything
Old 10-06-2020, 03:01 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 42
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 735 Times in 281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFleming View Post
Don't quote me, but I seem to recall that the state Discraft is in required them to shut down completely. They were able to reopen, but it takes a while to get caught up with production.

Again, that's what I recall hearing.....

Michigan. Yes that’s entirely factual.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-06-2020, 03:44 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 7
Niced 1,475 Times in 722 Posts

I'm guessing there is supply chain issues too. The places that produce raw plastic pellets likely were just as affected by the shutdowns. Also, I'm guessing they saw a huge spike in demand for more polycarbonate type plastics (face shield) and that took probably priority over the urethane products (discs).

Also, not positive where most of the raw plastic is produced, but I bet overseas shipping has been a nightmare with all this too.

There's more to supply disruption than just the manufacturers being slow or lagging.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-06-2020, 04:19 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 0.5
Courses Played: 27
Niced 131 Times in 45 Posts

This may be the time when discs go from $15 -$20 to $25 -$30. The price of halo discs are already at the $20 price and when the hades first run was released, I saw prices from internet shops anywhere from $18-$25. The next week those same hades discs were and are selling on eBay for $40.

Looks like it may be time to hoard even more plastic before prices increase and this stops being a cheap recreational activity.

Old 10-06-2020, 04:19 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 4
Niced 384 Times in 179 Posts

Yeah. All kinds of things are impacted. Heck, this weekend, my A/C kicked on at home and I noticed that it was wheezing a bit. I pulled out the air filter and it was pretty dirty. Nothing fancy, just a 1x16x20 filter. I went to 4 different stores before I could find one that wasn't sold out of all but the most oddball sized filters.

Which seemed pretty ridiculous, but then I thought about all the resources that have gone to making masks.