Old 10-14-2020, 04:36 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.9
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 286 Times in 172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shide View Post
As one card mate at State championship a few years back declared on our 1st hole, "I'm here to have fun."
I'm just sayin'. Know the rules. Don't treat tournaments as just another casual round. And that's not to say one can't have fun, but.....
"I'm here to have fun. I'm just saying".
Well, don't take part in tournaments then....just saying.

I agree though. Take part in tournaments - learn and abide by the rules. If you don't want to learn/abide by the rules....don't take part in tournaments.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2020, 06:00 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 17.4
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,200 Times in 993 Posts

Quote:
Just trying to catch up on reading some of the most recent posts, so forgive me if I bring up something that died a while back.

The main rule I would like to see added is that EVERYONE must read the rule books (Rule & Competition Manual). Period.
I've encountered so many players over the years who have absolutely no clue as to what the rules are. Their knowledge of the rules is usually from what someone else told them, not what they had read for themselves. All participants in a tournament paid to be there, so everyone there should be following the same rules. And as someone said earlier, most players don't really give a rats a$$ about the rules. As one card mate at State championship a few years back declared on our 1st hole, "I'm here to have fun."
I'm just sayin'. Know the rules. Don't treat tournaments as just another casual round. And that's not to say one can't have fun, but.....

Oh & jump/step putts? Yeah, let's do away with those.
I agree with reading the rules in the little book they have for Disc Golf. The Jump putt, yeah as well as the stepover in regular rules.

Yep I met a guy who knew ever single rule and how to fake a sound thing for extra time in putting was sure my dad's Ching Juju in supreme was illigal because the company did not make the disc anymore being oop. He thought that companies if they no longer made a specific model of disc it was illigal as they had to pay and test each year for a disc mold to stay certified, hence why he went from XD to XD+ when he did not need to do so and left his old disc on the course in the basket with words on back in Sharpie, Take, do not give back. My dad playing with the guy in round one of the South Dakota PDGA State Disc Tournament in 2007 he thought he could ban my dad from the tournament and as I had finished early I went to watch him as part of the course is where you can watch and not be in the way. My dad had to finish last hole with his Pro Rhyno and did fine due to disc being about the same in stiffness. Same guy at a Tournament in Rapid City in 2006, he was on my card and knew at the time you had to have full group consent on something, we did not so I had to force foot under a spot of a tree that fell in a storm the night before to play his way and mine too on top of the tree log for provisional as that was only way we could agree. Then due to him not having consent a beyond casual group was playing behind us in tournament and they were always asking if they could play thorough which everyone is looking the other way on a rule about not playing though, but that guy who attempted to get my dad a year later failed because of the way he interpreted a PDGA Rule that would not be interpreted that way by 99% of people because the rule made no mention of renewing molds for PDGA approval.
Old 10-14-2020, 06:17 PM

Niced 9 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Oh & jump/step putts? Yeah, let's do away with those.
+1

I'm okay with anything, as long as your follow through ends in the right 20x30 area behind your mini.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-14-2020, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Answers to Lucky View Post
+1

I'm okay with anything, as long as your follow through ends in the right 20x30 area behind your mini.
True jump putts over mini or step over the mini lets end that for all other shots. That is the one that needs to end. The only part that should be legal is after the release and disc is off hand at least 1-2 meters let the PDGA decide how far minimum is, then the player should be able to get go over mini before disc comes to rest as long as they do no touch the disc.
Old 10-25-2020, 01:26 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 401 Times in 144 Posts

Rename the Novice division to Casual and watch that division's participation boom. Which in turn would get more people playing their rating in other divisions.

People who have been playing for 2 years and are still 820 rated don't want to play in a division called Novice. So they play Recreational and then the 875 rated players look bad beating up on the 820 guys. So the 875 plays Intermediate and the cycle moves up the ladder.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-25-2020, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizunodave View Post
Rename the Novice division to Casual and watch that division's participation boom. Which in turn would get more people playing their rating in other divisions.

People who have been playing for 2 years and are still 820 rated don't want to play in a division called Novice. So they play Recreational and then the 875 rated players look bad beating up on the 820 guys. So the 875 plays Intermediate and the cycle moves up the ladder.
The Novice needs to be the same name or change to Beginner. You need to have a beginner division or nobody will want to if bran new PDGA player to play in events if they know they are a more beginner player in the first place. Yes you scare away the beginner players who feel they can't enter a division at all due to no beginner, and this is how PDGA tournaments die or they keep playing and practicing till they are advanced open level and enter Rec blowing away the entire field but sticking with Rec.

However there is sad times when people in Novice could beat Rec just due to the Rec treating the game like a beyond casual player and getting ejected due to breaking fairly obvious rules. I have seen this before with players at a PDGA tournament and it pisses me off, they played so poor the Novice division could have had some players go up and play rec, these high school players did not want to play Novice and even more odd they would have played the division if it were called beginner, they had 0% clue that Novice meant Beginner or near beginner. Yeah they were not bright and were also on there schools golf team as sop level players so they just kept getting passed on just barely from grade to grade.

Last edited by Casey 1988; 10-25-2020 at 04:26 AM.
Old 10-25-2020, 05:07 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 271 Times in 147 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
The Novice needs to be the same name or change to Beginner. You need to have a beginner division or nobody will want to if bran new PDGA player to play in events if they know they are a more beginner player in the first place. Yes you scare away the beginner players who feel they can't enter a division at all due to no beginner, and this is how PDGA tournaments die or they keep playing and practicing till they are advanced open level and enter Rec blowing away the entire field but sticking with Rec.

However there is sad times when people in Novice could beat Rec just due to the Rec treating the game like a beyond casual player and getting ejected due to breaking fairly obvious rules. I have seen this before with players at a PDGA tournament and it pisses me off, they played so poor the Novice division could have had some players go up and play rec, these high school players did not want to play Novice and even more odd they would have played the division if it were called beginner, they had 0% clue that Novice meant Beginner or near beginner. Yeah they were not bright and were also on there schools golf team as sop level players so they just kept getting passed on just barely from grade to grade.
But all of those beginners you are talking about are currently playing in Rec. Aren't they?

Because lots of TDs don't offer Novice at all. And those tournaments aren't dying - tournaments are booming.

The original idea is excellent - rename Novice to remove the ego barrier. And stop the cycle of playing up.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Old 10-25-2020, 07:38 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.5
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,979 Times in 1,174 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizunodave View Post

Dump the names all together and stick with the alphanumerics imo.
Old 10-25-2020, 07:44 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 271 Times in 147 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
Dump the names all together and stick with the alphanumerics imo.
That works too!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Old 10-25-2020, 08:46 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.4
Courses Played: 72
Niced 414 Times in 203 Posts

We've been using Am I , Am II, Am III, Am IV for a while now.