Old 10-25-2020, 09:52 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 54
Niced 38 Times in 25 Posts
Default Should Parks be Edumicated?

Is there or should there be an educational tool geared towards parks (or property owners) which provides details on disc golf course installation, on-going course maintenance, growing the sport, etc.? ( Not a "how to play"disc golf primer!)

Something, maybe PDGA initiated which indicates what parks are getting into. Not a marketing sales tool, but more like a business model/plan. Kinda like if there was no local club or volunteer pool to keep course and disc golf scene viable.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 10-25-2020, 10:05 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 40.7
Courses Played: 96
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,523 Times in 965 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

Have you searched to see if something like this exists? I would think The PDGA has something for this.

Old 10-25-2020, 10:35 AM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
Have you searched to see if something like this exists? I would think The PDGA has something for this.
I haven't searched, but I got money on that all existing resources are towards encouraging adding courses and promoting the sport.

Plus if it was a resource, it should be readily available or recognized.

Things have changed. Long time ago players had to find money, pimp out their friends, sell hard to get a course installed.

Now parks see viability, but unlike other park resources, my opinion is that it is still in disc golfers hands. Fragile resource not always educated beyond love of sport. I had no training- initially a few phone calls to Ed and Brent Hambrick. More contacts over years.

Post initiated as I am reflecting on my recent admin retirement in disc golf, I started in 1992 with installation and somehow "retiring" is unfathomable. I don't feel, in general not all parks, don't know much about how to sustain disc golf courses.

Old 10-25-2020, 06:34 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 17.4
Courses Played: 25
Niced 1,200 Times in 993 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billipo View Post
I haven't searched, but I got money on that all existing resources are towards encouraging adding courses and promoting the sport.

Things have changed. Long time ago players had to find money, pimp out their friends, sell hard to get a course installed.

Now parks see viability, but unlike other park resources, my opinion is that it is still in disc golfers hands. Fragile resource not always educated beyond love of sport. I had no training- initially a few phone calls to Ed and Brent Hambrick. More contacts over years.

Post initiated as I am reflecting on my recent admin retirement in disc golf, I started in 1992 with installation and somehow "retiring" is unfathomable. I don't feel, in general not all parks, don't know much about how to sustain disc golf courses.
I know the feeling, Part of a course Steamboat park in Pierre South Dakota got the best 2 holes pulled along with 3 other holes due to a water treatment plant needed for how much Iron is in the water, odd is the plant was going there or we were not getting one at all. I still think if the people of the city voted no we would still have the water treatment plant getting put in in a spot very few wanted it. I recently fixed on here the course by removing the holes that are now removed from the course. My dad, Brother and I as well as friend who found out the original course layout was being planned and would have holes where the course was going to be par 1 and 2 only was designed, helped design the actual course.

The City never considered the course or who was using the course in the first place. I also feel part of the good sized parking lot for the park will be taken over by a skate park that is disappearing, due to some private group trying to push forward with building an overblown outdoor water park/pool that 0.001% of the people, actually 3 people in a city of 14,000-15,000 people depending on where the end of the city truly is in one part.

I hope to try and get the city to want to put in an at least 9 hole course in another park, using those 5 baskets that are pulled as well as 4 more at least for the course. I know what model and brand of basket I am going with, as well as getting 5 bases for umbrella stands for the 5 removed baskets so they will be in ground the way the old baskets were in a pad of Concrete with rebar under the covered base. I need to contact the city parks guy to talk about this in spring, winter weather is already here in South Dakota.

Last edited by Casey 1988; 10-25-2020 at 06:39 PM.
Old 10-25-2020, 07:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 37.5
Courses Played: 250
Niced 4,599 Times in 1,592 Posts

Quote:

It is my experience this has not changed. In fact, I have found more and different recreational activities now competing for park space.
Old 10-25-2020, 09:23 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 17.4
Courses Played: 25
Niced 1,200 Times in 993 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
It is my experience this has not changed. In fact, I have found more and different recreational activities now competing for park space.
Yes this is true, also the other thing competing is city removing part of a park for other uses. I mentioned my city which did a dumb thing and also blocked a hotel with convention center from a view of the Missouri River.
Old 10-26-2020, 01:56 AM
Birdie Member

Parks knowledge of the sport would no doubt lead to some better educated decisions on placing other recreational opportunities or even stuff as simple as not putting picnic tables in fairways, that fallen branches on tee pads are undesirable, or where and how often to mow fairways and roughs.

Up front, I believe that parks need to understand after pins are in the ground the journey is not over. I worked with several parks and just kinda got sucked into being the eternal disc golf guy. By chance some have got it, others I expect a rapid decline.

In hind sight, park involvement as an educated participant would have resulted in smarter maintenance decisions, incorperating disc golf in their funding opportunities, avoiding sudden surprises, more ownership pride, etc. Even knowing, without being told, of fallen trees which interfere with play. Ideally parks would be wise enough to initiate conversation with local disc golf resources on course development seeking guidance versus being chased by golfers to get attention to provide expertise or avert potential disasters or setbacks.

Not such a far fetched idea since I doubt if boaters tell parks how to maintain docks, or kids explain how playgrounds work, or ball golfers have workdays, or soccer players mow soccer fields, or swimmers rake beaches, ...

Niced: (2)
Old 10-26-2020, 11:52 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.8
Courses Played: 140
Niced 539 Times in 240 Posts

Quote:
Is there or should there be an educational tool geared towards parks (or property owners) which provides details on disc golf course installation, on-going course maintenance, growing the sport, etc.? ( Not a "how to play"disc golf primer!)

Something, maybe PDGA initiated which indicates what parks are getting into. Not a marketing sales tool, but more like a business model/plan. Kinda like if there was no local club or volunteer pool to keep course and disc golf scene viable.
Some folks have already mentioned some decent solutions, but I ask, to what end? Or, what would that accomplish?

I see three items in your request

I. Details on Course Installation
II. On-going course maintenance
III. Grow the sport

Items I. & II. are typically a matter of budget. Does it come from Parks & Rec (P&R) or Grounds?

Of the two, P&R drives installation, as they want to enhance their sphere of influence. Grounds usually maintains it - different department, different budget, different interests. This is where private interest groups, like your local club can get involved and champion the project.

As someone else mentioned, there are enough (other) private interest groups out there (bird watching, mountain biking, trail running, walking trails, playgrounds, sport facilities, etc. etc. etc) so, if there isn't a private interest group pushing disc golf, P&R are more likely to partner with Clubs that have the infrastructure to support an installation.

Growing the sport: Who has an interest here? Certainly manufacturers, retailers, and pay to play courses, as well as some fans and enthusiasts. P&R want parks used, but disc golf, in large traffic areas, does create a lot of erosion that the Grounds has to deal with.

I say this, not to be negative, but to explain that the entities that you want to educate already know what they need to.

P&R: Course equipment quotes are pretty easy to come by if you know who to talk to. Thanks to Google, most people can find their way to the information they seek. Even more so, their part in the grand scheme is to be help budget land and resources (money for equipment). There are numerous annual industry trade shows where manufacturers display, so Parks people know what DG is...

Grounds: Will typically cut what they're told to cut - getting them to cut it in a timely manner is another story, but that is also a reflection of budget.

So, again, it is up to the local enthusiasts/Club to champion the idea of disc golf and work with both aforementioned groups to push installations. There are also companies out there who are also pushing from a business perspective for installations. One channel for them to reach P&R is industry trade shows (mentioned above, industry publications, social media groups, etc.)

Last edited by Golden Tuna; 10-26-2020 at 11:55 AM.
Old 10-26-2020, 01:22 PM
Birdie Member

golden tuna, it could be a lot of the disc golfers faults for pushing the install baskets and tees part and not explaining details.

I know I am reluctant to plant baskets when looking for volunteer help on a new course. I want to get as much help as possible first. Seems as before cement dries they are running to their cars to get disc bags. Maybe disc golfers emit this also to the park system.

I guess I see parks also loose interest in any adjustments or keeping disc golf needs in their plans.

At one park, we are lucky the latest park manager has experience with world class disc golf courses and events. He supports growth very much and understands. in addition same park has a new maintenance guy who has taken interest in the sport. His supervisor made him course lead for mowing, plus. I spent time with him discussing ins and outs. Like adjusting ceilings, when disc hit trees what happens, where disc tend to fall on course, etc, etc. A hole by hole walk through..in one year the difference is a vast improvement.

Would have been nice from the get go. The example has been in ground for 12 years.

I'm just saying, I think others existing and would be course designers might benefit from some official looking disc golf sustaining primer and have better chance of execution.

Old 10-26-2020, 06:44 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.8
Courses Played: 140
Niced 539 Times in 240 Posts

You're basically talking about engagement among the park workers. In my experience, that ebs and flows from park to park and course captain to course captain. But, the more people engaged with the sport, the more willing they are to help, even if it is just by cutting fairways more than cutting grass.

Quote:
I'm just saying, I think others existing and would be course designers might benefit from some official looking disc golf sustaining primer and have better chance of execution.
I've been in marketing/graphic design even longer than disc golf. I still don't understand what type of piece you're talking about - I'll gladly make one if it helps the game grow in other areas. I just don't understand the benefit/use/value.

We're about to get our third installation (of 2020) approved. All it took was a proposal from our Club, outlining the land we want to use, a rough sketch of the layout, a commitment to help maintain/invest in the course and budget. That said, we didn't just come out of the blue, we've been attending city council meetings and sharing input with other interest groups to partner, or, at least not try to block disc golf.

Again, not being negative. I'm just struggling to understand the scope of work, the output, the audience, and the intended benefit.