Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 10-25-2020, 09:41 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.2
Courses Played: 41
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 852 Times in 517 Posts

Yes, for my game I need an overstable approach disc in order to score my best. For example, last month I went on vacation and brought a very slimmed down bag with me (about 6 discs). I left my Zone and Berg at home, figuring I could cover approach shots with either my putting putter or a powered down straight-stable mid. Well it's amazing how many approach shots that should've been parked inside 15' were instead 20'-25' from the pin. Should I make a 20 footer, rendering the slightly less accurate approach shot moot? Sure. But in reality I'm nearly automatic inside 15' whereas 20'-25' is a knee-knocker. Not having a slow, low glide, overstable approach option cost me a couple strokes per round.

As for if it's a crutch, I'd say that's only the case if you feel the need to use it on all approaches. There are definitely times I need to pipe a Judge straight down a tunnel and I am 100% comfortable doing so. If instead I found myself forcing a Zone, then at that point I'd say the Zone would be a crutch. But there are also times where I have a head or crosswind and a drop off behind the basket. Why would I throw a floaty neutral putter in that situation if I have an OS option instead? That's not using a crutch -- it's using your brain.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 10-26-2020, 02:39 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 21.8
Courses Played: 98
Niced 63 Times in 54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1970 View Post
I can’t imagine an easier shot than a simple backhand hyzer approach with something like a Zone.

It just doesn’t get much easier than that.
Amen.

Entropy here. I throw it flat, it fades left, sticks the landing, doesn't roll away.

Of course...

I also forehand roll mine...

And Flex with it...

and use it for just about any dumb utility shot one could find on a course.

Old 10-26-2020, 11:27 AM
Par Member

Niced 107 Times in 62 Posts

Just for utility. I used to use it on most approaches but you dont learn anything by throwing something that masks you're mistakes. More neutral stuff flies pretteri also, and you dont have to throw it hard for distance.
Old 10-26-2020, 11:51 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 17
Niced 1,533 Times in 790 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacledbear View Post
Just for utility. I used to use it on most approaches but you dont learn anything by throwing something that masks you're mistakes. More neutral stuff flies pretteri also, and you dont have to throw it hard for distance.
I don't throw a Zone for distance. If I want a pretty, neutral shot I throw a JB Roach. For distance I'll throw the Roach or an Envy.
Old 10-26-2020, 12:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 22
Niced 1,969 Times in 859 Posts

Do you need an overstable approach disc?

No, but they do come in handy at times.

I used to throw DX Rhynos, but once they beat in a little, they overlapped with my big bead aviars. So this year I dropped the Rhyno and added a Pig. I don't throw it that often (last 2 round tournament I played I threw it once), but it has come in handy for windy approaches, short flex shots and forehand rollers.

I have no problem fore-handing a putter, so I don't need the overstability for that.

Niced: (2)
Old 10-26-2020, 12:32 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 5
Niced 471 Times in 259 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco40 View Post
My short game is so reliant on my Zone that I have a hard time imagining playing regularly without it. I do think I could replicate its results with a softly thrown Buzzz in most situations, though. It would take a lot of practice and developing much more touch. A Zone doesn't require that much touch in my current stage of development.

One thing that using the Zone as a crutch has done leave me without a really solid, straight low approach shot. It's a surprisingly difficult shot for me.

That’s the problem I’ve found if I start relying too heavily on an OS disc. You start turning and burning the flippier disc that you need for that dead straight shot.

Old 10-26-2020, 12:40 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 5
Niced 471 Times in 259 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keller View Post
Do you need an overstable approach disc?

No, but they do come in handy at times.

I used to throw DX Rhynos, but once they beat in a little, they overlapped with my big bead aviars. So this year I dropped the Rhyno and added a Pig. I don't throw it that often (last 2 round tournament I played I threw it once), but it has come in handy for windy approaches, short flex shots and forehand rollers.

I have no problem fore-handing a putter, so I don't need the overstability for that.

Interesting, I’ve run into something similar. Fresh dx Rhyno is somewhat stable but they beat in super straight fairly quickly. I’ve started bagging a harp again, and now find that I rarely reach for my Rhyno.

Old 10-26-2020, 02:31 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.2
Courses Played: 41
Niced 852 Times in 517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by azplaya25 View Post
That’s the problem I’ve found if I start relying too heavily on an OS disc. You start turning and burning the flippier disc that you need for that dead straight shot.
Shhhhhhhh!!! If you've lost the ability to throw neutral putters, then keep it to yourself. We don't need anyone giving elmexdela a data point to reference!
Old 10-26-2020, 03:52 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.8
Courses Played: 51
Niced 490 Times in 302 Posts

I bag a Zone and it gets thrown a lot. But I feel more confident in FH approaches for hitting my lines, so I work the OS disc on angles to get to my target. If I need to finesse BH something, count it as a bogey 4/5 times. I’ll hit that tree 20’ in front of me. But, you do you.

Old 10-26-2020, 04:12 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 28
Niced 62 Times in 45 Posts

I must really need a crutch because I carry a Zone and a Pig. And they’re a huge part of my game.