Old 10-25-2020, 09:02 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 271 Times in 147 Posts

The words Advanced and Intermediate reference degree of skill.

Recreational references attitude - 'oh I don't take it seriously, it's just recreational for me'.

And Novice references newness to the sport and lack of experience.

(Note: experience does not directly correlate to skill. You can have lots of experience and still lack any skill! I'm four years into the game, I have plenty of experience, and I'm Novice rated. )

Using MA1-4 works but a little bit of me likes to have words attached as well. Words are usually easier to grasp, whereas with 'codes' I'm normally having to translate them in my head first.

So, who's got good new names for MA3 & 4?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 10-25-2020, 09:35 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 36.5
Courses Played: 37
Niced 39 Times in 15 Posts

Somehow MA50 just doesn't have the ring of Grandmasters for me. OK, Senior Grandmasters isn't so great, but I was kind of looking forward to playing the Legends division in a couple more years....

Old 10-26-2020, 01:25 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.9
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 286 Times in 172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesethin View Post
(Note: experience does not directly correlate to skill. You can have lots of experience and still lack any skill! I'm four years into the game, I have plenty of experience, and I'm Novice rated. )
Yes! I'm two years into this and my PDGA rating hasn't been higher than 652 (currently at 634). I'm Novice rated, but play Recreational (mainly because most tournaments don't have the Novice division).

One day I hope to get above 700 rated. But that would require me to play SMART disc golf and not HERO disc golf. (Smart disc golf is playing to your ability - HERO disc golf is going for the basket on every throw, regardless of distance or ability).

I'm always DFL in the tournaments I play since I have to play in MA3 (Recreational) instead of the division I'm actually rated for (MA4-Novice). But, DFL or not, I'm having fun.

Niced: (2)
Old 10-26-2020, 01:32 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFleming View Post
... I'm Novice rated, but play Recreational (mainly because most tournaments don't have the Novice division).
I'm always DFL in the tournaments I play since I have to play in MA3 (Recreational) instead of the division I'm actually rated for (MA4-Novice). But, DFL or not, I'm having fun.
This strikes me as a shame.
Old 10-26-2020, 01:42 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.9
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 286 Times in 172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesethin View Post
This strikes me as a shame.
yeah, and I'm not sure what the reasoning is behind it....unless there are so few Novices that play tournaments (maybe because there usually isn't a Novice division?).

By the eligible ratings....Novice is any rating below 850 and I usually see quite a few players in MA3/Recreational that are lower than 850...so we would fill up a Novice division if it was available.

But it is what it is....I'll play MA3/Recreational....lose and still enjoy playing.

Old 10-26-2020, 01:49 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFleming View Post
yeah, and I'm not sure what the reasoning is behind it....unless there are so few Novices that play tournaments (maybe because there usually isn't a Novice division?).

By the eligible ratings....Novice is any rating below 850 and I usually see quite a few players in MA3/Recreational that are lower than 850...so we would fill up a Novice division if it was available.

But it is what it is....I'll play MA3/Recreational....lose and still enjoy playing.
I'm in the UK, and up to two weeks ago our highest rated player was 970ish. This means that all of our Advanced level players (935+) tend to choose to play in MPO. Now, this could create a 'vacumn' in ADV and suck all the INT players up into it. And the REC players into INT, and NOV players into REC. But cleverly most TD's here just don't bother to offer ADV! This means everyone tends to play their rating and stick in the appropriate division.

Old 10-26-2020, 02:27 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 31.7
Courses Played: 711
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,665 Times in 1,118 Posts

Traditional skill progressive division names like: Advanced, Intermediate, Rec and Novice or Am 1, Am 2, Am 3 have become both sexist and ageist in lifetime sports especially when all genders and all ages might compete on the same course at the same time. Using the skill colors for division names that are already defined in PDGA docs makes the most sense. If your rating is in a certain range, your division color is Blue regardless of your age or gender. BTW, this can also resolve much of the transgender issue regarding current division assignment fairness.

Niced: (2)
Old 10-26-2020, 02:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.5
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,965 Times in 1,170 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
Traditional skill progressive division names like: Advanced, Intermediate, Rec and Novice or Am 1, Am 2, Am 3 have become both sexist and ageist in lifetime sports especially when all genders and all ages might compete on the same course at the same time. Using the skill colors for division names that are already defined in PDGA docs makes the most sense. If your rating is in a certain range, your division color is Blue regardless of your age or gender. BTW, this can also resolve much of the transgender issue regarding current division assignment fairness.
What is sexist or ageist about designating divisions numerically? Colors just add another layer of definitions to explain.

Old 10-26-2020, 03:09 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 31.7
Courses Played: 711
Niced 2,665 Times in 1,118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
What is sexist or ageist about designating divisions numerically? Colors just add another layer of definitions to explain.
Just some examples.
- FA1 is really only as good as M(mixed)A3 but their skill level range is the same (White or Red)
- FA3, F4, FA60 and others at purple level forced to compete with green level M4 players or higher if M4 not offered.
- MP50 has to have a rating under 900 (white level) to compete in MA50 who has players with blue level ratings
- Many players over age 50 playing for many years are "forced" to play in divisions called Recreational/Am3 or Novice/Am4 to have chance to compete when not enough players in their age bracket enter.
- Juniors under 19 have players with ratings in MA1, MA2, MA3/FA1, MA4FA2, FA3, FA4 and below. Using color skill ranges makes more sense for the older junior divisions in the same way that talented youth in school sports are moved up to play on older age teams.
- Separate issue: The Pro/Am distinction versus using color skill levels makes no sense for players over age 40 who are competing in an adult recreational sport versus trying to climb a ladder to become a pro for a living.

Old 10-28-2020, 04:52 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 17.4
Courses Played: 25
Niced 1,199 Times in 992 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny View Post
Somehow MA50 just doesn't have the ring of Grandmasters for me. OK, Senior Grandmasters isn't so great, but I was kind of looking forward to playing the Legends division in a couple more years....
I agree, the name system was better, but to get into the Senior Olympics as a sport, the PDGA had to make changes.