Old 08-21-2020, 04:23 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14
Courses Played: 116
Niced 321 Times in 124 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lion View Post
the purest course baggers would drive 20hrs to play it.
I think he is egging you on, Bogey,don't fall for it. I wasn't even sure Lion liked Sugaree until today, but very glad he did. The more courses played=the higher the compliment if it makes their favorites !
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2020, 05:01 PM
* Ace No More *

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 332
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 4,734 Times in 2,069 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mando View Post
I think he is egging you on, Bogey,don't fall for it. I wasn't even sure Lion liked Sugaree until today, but very glad he did. The more courses played=the higher the compliment if it makes their favorites !
Right now, the issue is more about how comfortable I feel travelling, and sleeping in cheap motels.
My next 4 day weekend would be Thanksgiving, and that's probably getting into X-mas tree season for you, right?

When do you plan to end the 2020 season for Sugaree?
Old 08-21-2020, 05:51 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
Right now, the issue is more about how comfortable I feel travelling, and sleeping in cheap motels.
My next 4 day weekend would be Thanksgiving, and that's probably getting into X-mas tree season for you, right?

When do you plan to end the 2020 season for Sugaree?
Typically, end of October. The best time to catch Sugaree is in full shade. Mid-May thru Early-Oct. The course will definitely be open in 2021, so that might be your best bet.

Niced: (2)
Old 08-24-2020, 10:29 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 41.5
Courses Played: 521
Niced 391 Times in 161 Posts

Quote:
I get it. Sugaree is definitely not worth a 20 hour round trip. I'm not sure any course is...
BogeyNoMore,

Sugaree is my #1 Top Favorite course in North Carolina! The terrain is so awesome that it broke my typical review rubric. If you ever check the files I upload to courses I review, I rate multiple factors in 3 categories-- Design, Basics, Amenities. Each element is rated on a 0-10 scale. Here are ratings for Sugaree:
Terrain Rating = 18
Course Beauty = 20
Remember these are on a 10 point scale.

Since Sugaree is a private course, built and maintained with the resources of 1 person, I give it grace for certain factors. (Private Courses actually have a separate category rating.) So the MVP Sport baskets are very good, but not the most expensive top of the line. That's fine by me; they catch well. I was even willing to just have the original homemade version. Tees all work, but for the tee purists you won't find long raked concrete trapezoids. On a mountain course built by one guy, are you kidding? I would be willing to tee off from level dirt, but there are carpet, gravel, and cinders. Heck, hole 1 even has a fantastic raised would platform! Tee signs are adequate. I don't mind if they aren't the top level color Houck Design signs. You get the idea.

The terrain and the ensuing beauty broke my typical rating rubric. These so far exceeded every other factor that I would be willing to have almost anything in all other factors. So I rated Sugaree at 9.95 out of 10!

So to the question at hand, is Sugaree worth a 10 hour drive to play? Most emphatically YES! All by itself I would be willing to drive 10 hours, play Sugaree, and head home. Every dedicated course bagger needs to play Sugaree, no matter what it takes!!

But here's the deal... on the way there you could play Harmon Hills in TN, and then after Sugaree head to Ashe County Park. If you could somehow beg and finagle a way to play Black Jack in Sugar Grove, then just those 4 courses together would be the trip of a lifetime!!

Just to pull a number out of the air, I would be willing to drive 12-16 hours one way to make that trip to play those 4 courses.

tl;dr-- Do whatever you have to to PLAY SUGAREE!!!

Old 08-24-2020, 10:52 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 41.5
Courses Played: 521
Niced 391 Times in 161 Posts

Bogey, et al

Of course I understand your reluctance to make that trip right now. This coronavirus continues to disrupt so many lives. Along with the devastation to 30-40 million people who have lost their jobs, even disc golf has suffered. I continue to hope that conditions will improve so that you can be safe to make that trip one day.

Hey, there's also camping where you bring all your own stuff. But you may not be a camper. Just a thought.
Old 10-19-2020, 03:02 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
We are planning a gala event this summer as a tribute to Laurel Springs-Boylan Family Farms, in which Sugaree will be played in the normal layout for singles on saturday, before being transformed into an 18 hole 9,000 foot par 70 beast on Sunday. Go our FB page if you want to learn more. If you have been waiting for the perfect time to return to Sugar Mountain, this is it.
Well, the tribute to Laurel Springs layout ended up being 10,000 feet and 29 holes. It was unveiled October 17th, with lots of six-hour rounds. If anyone wants to give it a go, the layout will be in the ground for the next couple of weeks, before pulling baskets for the winter.

Old 10-23-2020, 12:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 145
Niced 1,279 Times in 643 Posts

Awww maaaannnn.....I wish I could play that layout!
29 holes of Sugaree goodness sounds amazing!
Old 10-25-2020, 09:45 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roggenb3 View Post
Awww maaaannnn.....I wish I could play that layout!
29 holes of Sugaree goodness sounds amazing!
The next layout will be even better...2 18 hole layouts in 2021. It might even reach destination status. Finally getting enough traffic to follow through on the grand plan. The course is not extinct.

Last edited by Mando; 10-25-2020 at 09:47 PM.
Old 10-26-2020, 08:32 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 307
Niced 243 Times in 106 Posts

Quote:
The next layout will be even better...2 18 hole layouts in 2021. It might even reach destination status. Finally getting enough traffic to follow through on the grand plan. The course is not extinct.
Great news, I need to find some time to come up and help.

Old 10-29-2020, 01:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 18.1
Courses Played: 1193
Niced 93 Times in 41 Posts

I cant wait to go back. In a year or two my son will be ready for those courses. I need an eastern Tennessee/ Western Carolina trip.

Quote: