Old 04-24-2020, 04:49 AM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Anyone have any Innova XD info?

I want a history of the Innova XD. It had an early start, a long run, and a sudden disappearance. I have a bunch of questions. What are the types of molds/runs. When did the Plus Molds start running/when did the XD stop? For such a sought after disc, I’ve always wondered about the history of such a legendary disc.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2020, 11:49 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 25.9
Courses Played: 136
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 3,676 Times in 1,332 Posts

I don't know the approval date, but it's '85ish. It was originally called the Aviar XD because it was always essentially a low-profile version of the Aviar; the "XD" part stood for "Xtra Distance". It came out before the idea of flexing an overstable driver was a thing because overstable drivers were not yet a thing; it was a hyzerflip distance driver and for a short time was the longest disc Innova had. These original Aviar XDs used the beadless Aviar wing and had San Marino tooling.

As discs developed, the XD transitioned. It was a very useful short turnover driver and touch approach disc after its days as a distance driver ended. It was also popular with people who had small hands as a putter; the deeper Aviar was uncomfortable for them and the shallow XD fit their hands better. The downside of putting with the XD was all the extra glide; if you missed, you could have a long comeback. The name transitioned from Aviar XD to simply "XD" in the late 80's, and when the beads were added to the Aviar wings the XD was run with the small bead wing. The core was switched and the tooling said "Ontario".

And there you go. The XD hung around for decades. When the Aviar wing was transitioned back to beadless in the late 00's, the XD also transitioned back to beadless. Other than that, the XD was what it was.

The death of the XD was the shallow putter craze lead by discs like the Judge. The uncomfortable deep putter thing had just been a thing everybody had to deal with for decades, but suddenly in the early 2010's there were shallow putters and people had options. The Innova shallow putter options for decades had been the XD (too much glide) and the Classic Roc (sharp nose not designed for putting) and both discs had been designed in the mid 80's as drivers. By 2015 Innova decided that they needed discs in those slots that were designed to be putters to compete with discs like the Judge, so the XD and Classic Roc were taken out of production and replaced by discs like the Colt and Stud.

As for the XD+, I don't know a single thing about it. It would have showed up very late in the game; I'm going to guess after 2010. The last XDs I bought were in 2011 and they were just regular old XDs. I know the XD+ showed up at some point, but I don't know if it was meant to replace the XD or just as an option. At any rate, everyone hated + molds and the XD+ was no exception. It's unclear to me what was going on there because after the XD+, the XD went OOP.

Last edited by Three Putt; 04-25-2020 at 10:57 AM.
Old 04-24-2020, 11:55 AM
*Super Moderator*

This was the last San Marino Aviar XD I had:

The flight plate cracked just for being taken out of the plastic bag one day, so it is sadly gone.

In the 90's the small bead Ontario XDs looked like this:

As I recall in the early 90's the XD was generally sold in just the normal stiff Innova DX plastic, but later in the 90's the XD was generally run in the slightly softer Aviar Putter plastic.

Niced: (1)

Last edited by Three Putt; 04-25-2020 at 10:58 AM.
Old 04-24-2020, 12:08 PM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 18.7
Courses Played: 42
Niced 1,282 Times in 637 Posts

I'll keep mine short and sweet

Approved in 1984 and the fourth disc Innova came out with, a low profile version of the Aviar. Originally beadless, and retooled in 1987 with a slightly sharper concave rim adding stability. It was retooled again and got small bead in 1988 (the original Roc was retooled from the XD at the same time, with a big bead. Later Rocs became large diameter a year or so later.)

Glows came out around 1993, and there was a run of LE Stars in 2006. Both R-pro and Champ were run as a fundraiser for the Japan Open 2010 and Asia Open 2011 (Most of the discs are below 160grams). 2011 is when the "+" mold was created.
Old 04-24-2020, 12:19 PM
*Super Moderator*

Other XD thoughts: Jay Dub has forgotten more about XDs than I ever knew in the first place, so until he posts this thread is worthless.

A lot of discs have people who study this and that and can tell you "that's a blunt nosed run from 2003 with the yada yada yada..." Those discs are like that because the variations changed how the discs were in flight. To me, the XD was blissfully unaffected by molding variations. XDs flew like XDs. You didn't have to stop and study an XD to know what you were getting, you were getting an XD. So it leaves us less to talk about.

Notable exceptions were the Star XDs that flew like Rhyno's and the XD+. Other than those two variations, XDs so far as I know were XDs.

Personal note: Every XD I ever threw for any period of time had a bent rim. It wasn't the most durable design; flip the thing into a tree and "crack." Maybe it was the shots I was using them for, but it never seemed to matter. I'd keep throwing them and they kept flying like XDs. More than once someone on my card commented that my XD didn't look like it was round anymore, and really they weren't. It was OK, though. They flew fine that way.

Last edited by Three Putt; 04-25-2020 at 10:52 AM.
Old 04-24-2020, 12:34 PM
*Super Moderator*

This was my personal long-term bagged XD:

It had a bent rim and a huge gouge from a branch that went through the top but didn't come out the bottom. It was pretty wrecked. It just always did what it did, though. I replaced it more out of fear of breaking it because of the big gouge than anything to do with the flight.

This is the last one that was in my bag:

It was the last beadless configuration, still had Ontario tooling and the patent number. I got it in 2011 and took it out of the bag last year. I had no real reason to take it out other than the Discraft Sol came out and I had an in-production disc that more-or-less could replace it.
Old 04-24-2020, 12:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 40.7
Courses Played: 96
Niced 2,521 Times in 964 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

Thanks for the shout out, Three Putt. Until now I thought your comments about me and XDs were sarcasm. My apologies.

As always Three Putt nailed it. XDs always fly like XDs. I had a couple of the original with '85 stamps on them and I never threw them because of how stiff they were. Many of mine have broke or cracked, they earned their nickname of "exploding XDs". Late 80s/early 90s they were still made stiff but not as stiff and turned into fantastic turn over approach discs when they beat in. I still have a few of those I use for throwers. They have a small bead.

I never had the pleasure of throwing a star XD but have heard great things about them, they are also very valuable to collectors.

When the proto XT Colts came out I grabbed up a small stack of those because of how similar they felt and looked to XDs. I thought Innova had finally come up with a replacement for the XDs. Well, kind of. My broken in XT proto Colts have the same turn as the XDs but then has a fade like a Rhyno...oh so close. I still like the XT proto Colts but yeah, not as close as I'd hoped.

If you want to try the XDs look for ones with a small bead from the early 90s or whenever they came out. Nice and stiff and have been more durable for me.

Niced: (2)
Old 04-24-2020, 12:44 PM
* Ace Member *

oops...

I forgot to point this out.

I recently made a bulk purchase which included a beadless used XD. First time I threw it I knew it was what I consider a perfect used XD. This past weekend I looked closer and realized it has no tooling. If I remember correctly that's an original with a bullet stamp. it's hit a few trees from my throws and seems to be holding up real well....so far.

Old 04-24-2020, 12:51 PM
*Super Moderator*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
Thanks for the shout out, Three Putt. Until now I thought your comments about me and XDs were sarcasm. My apologies.
Trust me, if you and I were in a room and somebody walked in and said "who can tell me something about XDs and 86 Softies?" I'd be pointing at you and walking out. Probably Stingrays and some other discs I'm not thinking of right now as well.

Last edited by Three Putt; 04-25-2020 at 10:53 AM.

Old 04-24-2020, 12:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Some eye candy.