Old 04-24-2020, 09:01 PM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 18.7
Courses Played: 42
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,279 Times in 636 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
If mine came out of the 2011 AO Champ run, they are both 175g.
'Tis, indeed. Well, probably...always a chance some TD got a CFR run done though!

Same with some Banshees, Aviars, Rocs, Firebirds, and a few other molds...most of every disc they produced then was sub-160 since 150class were/are the only legal discs for PDGA play over there (at least at the time, I don't know current rules on that). Some were made heavier for, I'd assume, us trying to get our hands on unique stuff and support a good cause.

Do pros ever buy discs like that? I'd assume no, but I'm probably wrong on this last point
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2020, 09:22 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 25.9
Courses Played: 136
Niced 3,675 Times in 1,331 Posts

I thought I had a point with XD domes, but it was an epic fail.

The red disc on the left is standard DX, the gray disc on the right is 90's putter plastic DX. In my memory, the putter plastic XDs were a bit flatter and I knew where these two discs are, so I went to grab them to compare dome to see if my memory failed me or not.

So, remember when I said every XD I threw for very long had a bent rim? Yeah...these discs look like trash! Both of them are either domey or flat-ish, depending on which angle you are looking from and how bent the rim is at that point.

They both still fly like butter, though. So I don't know anything about XD domes, we return you to your regularly scheduled programming...

Last edited by Three Putt; 04-25-2020 at 10:55 AM.
Old 04-24-2020, 09:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 40.7
Courses Played: 96
Niced 2,520 Times in 964 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

This is the no tooling Aviar XD I got in the bulk purchase. It flies great and not as under stable as it might look. A sweet straight to slight controllable turn flight even this beat up.

Old 04-24-2020, 09:42 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 25.9
Courses Played: 136
Niced 3,675 Times in 1,331 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
This is the no tooling Aviar XD I got in the bulk purchase. It flies great and not as under stable as it might look. A sweet straight to slight controllable turn flight even this beat up.

You can really see the more Avair-ish nose that the disc originally had, cool disc!

Niced: (1)
Old 04-25-2020, 02:26 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 17.4
Courses Played: 25
Niced 1,199 Times in 992 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
Thanks for the shout out, Three Putt. Until now I thought your comments about me and XDs were sarcasm. My apologies.

As always Three Putt nailed it. XDs always fly like XDs. I had a couple of the original with '85 stamps on them and I never threw them because of how stiff they were. Many of mine have broke or cracked, they earned their nickname of "exploding XDs". Late 80s/early 90s they were still made stiff but not as stiff and turned into fantastic turn over approach discs when they beat in. I still have a few of those I use for throwers. They have a small bead.

I never had the pleasure of throwing a star XD but have heard great things about them, they are also very valuable to collectors.

When the proto XT Colts came out I grabbed up a small stack of those because of how similar they felt and looked to XDs. I thought Innova had finally come up with a replacement for the XDs. Well, kind of. My broken in XT proto Colts have the same turn as the XDs but then has a fade like a Rhyno...oh so close. I still like the XT proto Colts but yeah, not as close as I'd hoped.

If you want to try the XDs look for ones with a small bead from the early 90s or whenever they came out. Nice and stiff and have been more durable for me.
The #2 Upshot is an XD with a big bead on the mold, Gotta Go Gotta throw has the discs New in both standard plastic or Prostyle a very durable plastic trust me having one. No this does not make the mold a Classic ROC with the big bead as the nose of that mold is different as the nose is rounder and blends into the wing more.
Old 04-25-2020, 01:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 38.5
Courses Played: 30
Niced 77 Times in 49 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
If mine came out of the 2011 AO Champ run, they are both 175g.
The two I got from Molnar are both max weight.

Quote:
Yeah, these I have are def domey, and probably why I was disappointed w the flight result.
My DX flies dead straight, with my weak ass arm, like its on a rail for 100-200'.

Champ turns, and since its Champ I saw no reason to try and break it in, which would take too long.
Also, ridiculously sharp flashing that could cut a cheap steak like butter, which, because the discs were so good looking, I didn't want to grind it on the sidewalk.
So they live in a box.

Niced: (3)
Old 04-25-2020, 01:38 PM
Licensed to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations.

Years Playing: 22.7
Courses Played: 65
Niced 114 Times in 62 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain jack View Post
Champ turns, and since its Champ I saw no reason to try and break it in, which would take too long. Also, ridiculously sharp flashing that could cut a cheap steak like butter, which, because the discs were so good looking, I didn't want to grind it on the sidewalk.
So they live in a box.
Yep, same story all around, the flashing was def razor like on the red one, and I did have to grind it down to make it usable.

Niced: (1)
Old 04-25-2020, 02:27 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4
Niced 355 Times in 221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
The Innova shallow putter options for decades had been the XD (too much glide) and the Classic Roc (sharp nose not designed for putting)
Discmania took the best of both of them -- XD bottom and Classic Roc top -- and made it the P3. A shallow putter with big HSS and good fade. Seasons like a Teebird. Sadly OOP'd.
Old 04-25-2020, 03:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 40.7
Courses Played: 96
Niced 2,520 Times in 964 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain jack View Post
The two I got from Molnar are both max weight.

My DX flies dead straight, with my weak ass arm, like its on a rail for 100-200'.

Champ turns, and since its Champ I saw no reason to try and break it in, which would take too long.
Also, ridiculously sharp flashing that could cut a cheap steak like butter, which, because the discs were so good looking, I didn't want to grind it on the sidewalk.
So they live in a box.
I tried my X-Out Champ and had the same issue, that's why I never took it out again.

Old 04-25-2020, 08:09 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 17.4
Courses Played: 25
Niced 1,199 Times in 992 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meillo View Post
Discmania took the best of both of them -- XD bottom and Classic Roc top -- and made it the P3. A shallow putter with big HSS and good fade. Seasons like a Teebird. Sadly OOP'd.
There is a putter in the Pro Tour Series, the Nexus that is a P3 but only in Nexus plastic which I have yet to feel that plastic type. People say it is like a gripy XT, so like KC Pro but not as durable as KC Pro, more like an XT plastic toughness.