Old 09-02-2020, 12:20 AM

Niced 11 Times in 9 Posts
Default Breaking Bad Timing Habit

I've been making a really concerted effort this summer to make my form as effective as it can be (and ideally gain distance and accuracy in the process), and the one thing that has seemed just completely impossible to get out of my muscle memory is beginning to pull the disc before my front foot is fully planted, often turning my shoulders in the process and making aiming my shots very difficult.

I see videos of pretty much every pro with elite distance beginning to shift their hips with their shoulders still completely turned and arm extended, seemingly until the rotation of their hips makes it impossible to keep them back any longer. I can go super slow in front of a mirror and copy this visually, feeling my way through how each moment of this movement, but when it comes to throwing even really slow, controlled practice shots I always run into the same problem: if I try to focus on good hips and bracing my timing is early, and if I try to focus on timing, my legs and hips forget what to do and my brace collapses.

I've attached two videos just so you all get a sense of where I'm at, one where I was focusing on good hip movement and off arm tucking and one where I was focusing on using my lats and not throwing as much with my shoulder, which I realized recently has also been a big problem for me but I've had a lot more luck addressing that. I have yet to put all the parts together perfectly, and definitely would welcome any advice on things I haven't mentioned and might not have picked up on, but I think what I'd really appreciate some insight on is just what it should feel like to nail this swing timing, and anything I can do to try to drill that feeling into my body.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2020, 12:55 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 228
Niced 4,143 Times in 2,511 Posts

#2 lats looks a lot better.

Turn your head back and look at your thumb/disc pointed away from target. Should still be looking/pointed back when you plant front foot. Keep your eyes locked on your disc/thumb all the way back and forth.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-02-2020, 01:44 AM

That definitely makes sense, I blew through my previous max distance that day - it was definitely revelatory in terms of the leverage I was feeling on the disc through the power pocket even though I knew I was still doing so much poorly.

Wow, such a simple idea but I definitely have not tried that and I can see in that video that the first part of my body to move early is my head; it's really the thing pulling my upper body forward. I just pulled up a bunch of slow motion drive videos and I'm now noticing how far into their weight shift all these pros keep their heads back. Thanks so much, I'll have to try that tomorrow.
Old 09-02-2020, 10:01 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 43
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 19 Times in 14 Posts

Another way to think about it, which helps me... Keep your shoulders and your hips aligned; meanwhile, always keep the disc centered between those points as you reach back and accelerate through. This is less about timing and more about alignment, but I feel like this is the foundation of a good throw.

(I got this tip from J-Ray's clinic. I think that's his name, the trilogy guy.)
Old 09-02-2020, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKieb704 View Post
Another way to think about it, which helps me... Keep your shoulders and your hips aligned; meanwhile, always keep the disc centered between those points as you reach back and accelerate through. This is less about timing and more about alignment, but I feel like this is the foundation of a good throw.

(I got this tip from J-Ray's clinic. I think that's his name, the trilogy guy.)
How do you mean, like aligned rotationally or vertically? Or both? And what do you mean by keeping the disc centered between them? Thanks for the advice!
Old 09-03-2020, 08:31 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 43
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 19 Times in 14 Posts

It's easier to show, then to describe (see link below). I like to think about the outside edges of my hips aligning with my shoulders as I reach back and rotate through the throw. Basically, don't let the disc get too far ahead of your body's motion... it should always be between the 4 points created by the shoulders and the hips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KI9tUrjjwXk&t=6s
Old 09-03-2020, 11:30 AM

Ah, I think I see, yeah that is one of the big things I’m trying to get away from with improving my timing, is my arm and shoulders jumping the gun and getting ahead of my hips. I think it’s partially so hard because I played ultimate for years before playing disc golf (and didn’t really even have the best form for that), so the urge to “throw” actively with my arm is super heavily ingrained. I’ll watch this when I get a chance for sure, thanks for linking!

Niced: (1)
Old 09-03-2020, 01:40 PM

Niced 10 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhusk View Post
Ah, I think I see, yeah that is one of the big things I’m trying to get away from with improving my timing, is my arm and shoulders jumping the gun and getting ahead of my hips. I think it’s partially so hard because I played ultimate for years before playing disc golf (and didn’t really even have the best form for that), so the urge to “throw” actively with my arm is super heavily ingrained. I’ll watch this when I get a chance for sure, thanks for linking!
Check this out, it helped me understand the timing sequence a lot better.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=114639
Old 09-05-2020, 02:01 PM

Oh I have been watching a ton of loopghost's videos since I found them a few weeks ago; the idea of focusing on keeping this "frame" intact until your elbow pivots out was pretty mindblowingly different than how I was conceiving my drives at the time and helped me a ton. Thanks for reminding me of that thread, there's so much good info to work through!

Old 09-05-2020, 11:35 PM

Alright guys, so I managed to get out to the field a few more times and I think I'm finally timing my shoulders a little bit better. How do you all think it looks? I'm curious because I wasn't really seeing any distance gains, in fact I was throwing a bit shorter than last time (maxing out about 380 this time with drivers) in relatively calm conditions. So clearly there's work to be done still, I'm just not sure what to look for.

There's also this little issue I had. Every once in a while I'd just shank one off to the right, which obviously is not a unique issue but I always chalked it up to my timing issues or rounding. I'm a little confused with this one though, because I got it waayyy off to the right and I can't really see anything different about my form. Can anyone spot the issue? All I know is I was trying to be a bit taller, as it's a stable disc I was looking to throw flat.

Thanks again everyone, really appreciate the help!