Old 10-20-2020, 11:33 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 227
Niced 4,127 Times in 2,505 Posts

Too leftward.
See Tilted Twirl vid, top of backswing/reachback.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2020, 12:28 PM

Niced 11 Times in 9 Posts

Ah ok, I did just watch that one and had a suspicion that's what you were talking about. I guess it confused me a little; it sounded like you were saying the disc should be flat at the top of the backswing, tilted down/pronated wrist at the power pocket, and then of course flat again at release? I guess I've been aiming for tilted down/pronated wrist from the backswing to the power pocket ever since noticing something similar in players like Simon, Eagle, etc, whereas I used to keep my wrist more supinated. I think I might be now seeing a subtlety I didn't before, though I'm not 100% and I'd be curious to hear what the significance of it is/how it helps the throw.

Does this paint a good picture of the idea? I can see that before the disc gets yanked forward they do both reach a point of relative flatness with the disc. Again just out of curiosity, what does this set up that keeping the disc angled down (or even angled up/supinated as some players do) doesn't?

Working through the door frame vids now, for the hundredth time but more and more clicks each time.
Old 10-20-2020, 01:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Should feel different loading or leverage of your shoulder, more pulled taut/smooth, less slack/yank in transition.
Old 10-20-2020, 01:23 PM

Gotcha, something I'll have to play around with then - but it sounds like maybe that's what I need to get my backswing finally in order. Thanks so much as always for all your time and insight!
Old 10-25-2020, 11:46 PM

Little off topic, but I'm off disc golf for a few more weeks with a minor hyperextended elbow. Decided to go hit some golf balls for the first time since the 8th grade, and I wasn't sure how it was gonna go but I've seen so many dang Shawn Clement videos at this point that it went surprisingly well. Was hitting 150+ yards on zero effort swings. Thanks SW!

Niced: (1)
Old 10-26-2020, 12:03 AM
* Ace Member *

Nice lower body action. This might help the upstairs.
Old 10-26-2020, 02:31 AM

Thanks! That's really cool, seems to be along the same lines as Shawn's battering ram, it's interesting seeing the two different approaches to the same idea

I'll definitely have to give it a try if I can get out again before all the ranges close for the season. Had a better time than I thought I would; I may be a multi-sport golfer now!

Old 11-27-2020, 10:14 PM

Finally finished rehabbing my elbow, and I've had a lot of time to think about what improvements I want to make, to throw further with less stress on my body. Biggest things I've been working on:

1) started throwing exclusively fan grip. Used to never use it, even for upshots, but now I'm realizing that since I use this grip for ultimate:

I'm used to having the disc pivot off my middle finger. I started to notice that sometimes when throwing golf discs I'd instinctively use the middle finger to squeeze, and every time that would happen the disc would pull way to the right. So now I've got this sort of thing going on:

and it's working great! More consistent release, doesn't seem to have lost me any power on its own.

2) Actually implementing a pump during my x-step, instead of only thinking I am.

3) Striding "down the hallway", not as closed off. I realized that this is probably pretty tied to 4), which would be reaching back later. I've found that if I keep my eyes on target until I've fully crossed and uncrossed my legs in the x-step I naturally stride a bit straighter and reach back a bit later, though they could both still be better as you'll see.

5) Instead of focusing on the disc, focusing on my hips turning my torso turning my upper arm, and NOT thinking about anything past that. This is the toughest, because it's the most abstract and I'm discovering just how much I'm used to consciously moving the disc, rather than waiting and waiting and waiting for the perfect moment that the disc can dingle arm along for the ride.

I've got one video - let me know how it looks, if it matches any of my goals or any of my goals need to be adjusted. My max distance since throwing in this way has been about 380/340/310/270, so a definite step back from where I was pre-injury but at least it doesn't hurt to throw anymore.

Old 11-28-2020, 06:48 PM
* Ace Member *

I keep the pinky flatter, pad on rim, rather than curling pinky with tip/nail on rim - some people do that though.

Looks like your stance is like 2-3" too wide and/or too staggered closed.

Old 11-28-2020, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
I keep the pinky flatter, pad on rim, rather than curling pinky with tip/nail on rim - some people do that though.

Looks like your stance is like 2-3" too wide and/or too staggered closed.
Thanks for the tip, I'll play around with it! It's helping a lot just not having my middle finger available to grip with, but sometimes that pinky does feel kind of weird.

That's about what I figured as far as my stance, just that little bit of extra stagger still.

Watching it again today it looks like my weight is probably a bit back after the x-step, right? Looks like my weight is just a bit far back over my back foot, and my body is tipped back a bit longer than it should be which I think is delaying my plant, and making my shoulders start to come around before heel strike. That's what it seems like to me at least; delaying my shoulders long enough to get that swinging feeling rather than strong arming continues to be the hardest part for me.