Old 11-13-2009, 06:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 30
Throwing Style: LHFH
Niced 20 Times in 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdggna View Post
Nothing faster than a mid, unless its a leopard. Understable as well(Comet, wolf, stingray, etc)...and don't get max weights either. Low to mid 160s is more than enough. If you search the threads you'll find several threads with similar questions. They may not all be titled correctly though.
What he said. If I was to start over from scratch this is the one disc to use for just about every situation. I like the Champion plastic best and get a very bright color like baby blue or pink. They are easiest to see. The Leopard is very forgiving and goes plenty far enough for someone starting out. And in Champion plastic at least it's a passable putter.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2009, 06:33 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 3 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpletwist View Post
What he said. If I was to start over from scratch this is the one disc to use for just about every situation. I like the Champion plastic best and get a very bright color like baby blue or pink. They are easiest to see. The Leopard is very forgiving and goes plenty far enough for someone starting out. And in Champion plastic at least it's a passable putter.
Good point. Real men throw pink...or orange. Though personally I think Champion(even though I love champion plastic) would be a bad choice for a putter, DX would be better IMO. Basically for a putter people generally pick something they think will like sticking to the chains like the rubbery plastics from gateway aka Soft, Super Soft, Super Stupid Soft, and Organic(correct me if there are any more out there).
Old 11-13-2009, 08:56 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 76
Niced 33 Times in 17 Posts

I would also recommend the innova started kit. However, even though you are goin to want to throw that driver on long holes, I would recommend that you don't even pick it up until you get good with the shark. When you can consistently throw it low, flat, and staight, THEN start throwing the leopard. When you start turning it over too much (throwing it flat and the disc going right), and if you really like the leopard, go ahead and get a heavier, premium leopard (star or champion).

I started out with a sidewinder, a coyote, and a rhyno. I did not know a THiNG about them, I bought them cause they were yellow. The sidewinder worked well until I flipped it into the lake one day, so I bought a 175 star wraith. Had it not been for my strong ultimate frisbee background, I probably couldn't have handled the wraith. Be patient with the shark and the leopard and you will be fine.

Oh, and puttiing is probably te most important thing to work on, no matter what stage you are in disc golf.
Old 11-14-2009, 12:38 AM
Crushing on Zoe and Hating on Keegan

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 175
Niced 2,615 Times in 1,208 Posts

Forget DX for anything other than putters and slow midranges, try and find X outs and factory seconds because they're not that much more expensive than DX/pro D and they'll hold form a lot better. Any putter that feels good in your hand, Midrange: Coyote or Aurora MS, Drivers: Teebird and a JLS.
Old 11-14-2009, 01:56 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 3 Times in 2 Posts

I'm sorry but A teebird's pretty overstable for a noobie driver...so why do people keep suggesting it?
Old 11-14-2009, 02:00 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.4
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

If I was starting someone out I'd give them these discs, mainly because I have them (and are selling them... all new) but it's a good set.

1. XL (fairway driver)
2. Buzzz (midrange)
3. Omega SuperSoft (putter)

As for plastic, I don't get the whole "buy DX" stuff. The courses I play are heavily wooded and a DX just gets banged up too easily. Buy a good set in ESP (Discraft) or Star (Innova) and you won't have to worry when you slam your new disc right into a tree 10 feet off of the tee.
Old 11-14-2009, 02:13 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 25.5
Courses Played: 21
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here's what I'd start out with if I had it to do all over again with the discs currently available:

Driver: Discraft Stalker- straightest driver out there, and easy to control even if you don't possess much power. This is a disc that can stay in your bag as you gain power too because it has decent high speed stability

Mid range: Discraft Comet- easily controllable disc that will take the line you give it and go there. Once power is increased it finds use as an understable mid.

Putter: Discraft Magnet (hard or soft depending on what feels best in your hand)-, the only putter you'll ever need.
Old 11-14-2009, 02:15 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 3 Times in 2 Posts

Well I only said buy DX because it's cheaper and he may lose it as most people I know who have owned a leopard lost it(likely because they were just starting) so instead of losing around $15 worth of a disc you lose about 8. Anyways I would say if you have courses heavily wooded just go with champion, it's the most durable plastic or elite z if in discraft. Personally I don't see the use in spending the extra dollar or so on star since it's extra grip doesn't seem to offer all that much extra.
Old 11-14-2009, 02:20 AM
Crushing on Zoe and Hating on Keegan

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 175
Niced 2,615 Times in 1,208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooTaters View Post
I'm sorry but A teebird's pretty overstable for a noobie driver...so why do people keep suggesting it?
I don't think Teebirds are overstable for noobs, unless you have a pretty weak armed noob. It's a fairway driver so it's pretty slow and I wish like crazy I had picked a Tbird as my first driver. I would suggest a TL but it only comes in Star.

Old 11-14-2009, 02:36 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 133
Niced 810 Times in 431 Posts

Hmmm... I'll throw in here too (pun intended)

Get stuff you will probably fall in love with in the long run and will probably stay in your bag regardless.
To that end I'd recommend a Roc or a Shark. If the Shark then DX is fine as the Shark can take a bit of bruising before it gets to be all chewed out and only good as a roller disc. Gotta say I love my Shark. The Leopard or Teebird are both great choices for some reasonable distance... I'd guess that the Leopard may be the better one to get going with and probably will remain in your bag as you grow. Get Champion plastic on that one. I hear more people here recommending the Rhino and it is a great putter. That thing won't glide much and will just drop off without rolling around too much so it is good if you miss your putt...could help you to shave strokes from putts gone bad. Keep it simple and learn just a few discs real well...then as your form gets better and your distance shots seem to be lacking something, work up the ladder of Distance Drivers. By that time you will probably be able to pick which ones will suit your needs.

So to sum it up:
Leopard in Champion plastic (mid 160's)
Shark in DX plastic (probably 170 or greater)
Rhino in Champion plastic (higher 170's)

Can't go wrong with those choices. You may substitute the Shark with a Roc but try to get one in Star plastic.

btw - the guy didn't ask for help with his budget, just on disc choices so stop bickering over DX and hitting trees. DX has a good application for some discs and I think that will serve as a better answer here. The guy could be rollin' up to the course in a Bentley for all we know....

Last edited by Noill; 11-14-2009 at 02:40 AM.