Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 11-14-2009, 05:15 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.8
Courses Played: 87
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

DX Aviar, DX Leopard and either Buzzz or Roc, all about 165g. Less discs is more. Learn these then move on.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2009, 10:11 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 17
Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
I don't think Teebirds are overstable for noobs, unless you have a pretty weak armed noob. It's a fairway driver so it's pretty slow and I wish like crazy I had picked a Tbird as my first driver. I would suggest a TL but it only comes in Star.
You know, i think it depends onif you have any natural throwing ability depending on athletics ahead of time BUT everyone is going to think they pretty athletic or have a strong arm, and they may, but for disc golf, most people I see, whether they can throw a Teebird or not, is going to be better off starting with Leopard.

Same thing goes for the Valk suggestions as well. Has nothing to do with stability, its about the speed.
Old 11-14-2009, 11:05 AM

Courses Played: 6
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I started with a Shark, a Leopard and a putter. My accuracy was awful when I first started so I was happy with shorter distances, but I at least stayed in the fairway!
Old 11-14-2009, 12:22 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooTaters View Post
Well I only said buy DX because it's cheaper and he may lose it as most people I know who have owned a leopard lost it(likely because they were just starting) so instead of losing around $15 worth of a disc you lose about 8. Anyways I would say if you have courses heavily wooded just go with champion, it's the most durable plastic or elite z if in discraft. Personally I don't see the use in spending the extra dollar or so on star since it's extra grip doesn't seem to offer all that much extra.
Yeah... it's all about the grip. Forget that they fly different.
Old 11-14-2009, 01:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 18.3
Courses Played: 23
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via AIM to tstack10 Send a message via Yahoo to tstack10

agree with light weights and best is to start with mids to get form down then move to a teebird or valk....my first disc was an eagle and I loved that thing until it broke. darn dx! lol
Old 11-14-2009, 01:07 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 14
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default One Disc is all you need to start

I started with a Innova Coyote (Champion Plastic). Good all around disc to see if you like the sport. Add discs as you get better.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:27 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 18.8
Courses Played: 831
Niced 32 Times in 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsden View Post
I started with a Shark, a Leopard and a putter. My accuracy was awful when I first started so I was happy with shorter distances, but I at least stayed in the fairway!
That's a great set of beginner discs, it's what I give to everyone I introduce to the sport: leopard, shark, aviar.
Old 11-15-2009, 11:27 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 88
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Putter:
Whatever feels great in your hand! My choice is the Discraft Soft Banger GT, but I started with the Innova Aviar P&A, then the Omega Super Soft.

Midrange:
Innova Wolf, Stingray, Coyote, Panther or Cobra; Discraft Storm, Stratus, Glide, Impact, or Buzzz. My choices would be Cobra or Stingray (I still use my Stingray daily.).

Driver:
Innova Leopard or Discraft Xpress. If you're a ball player, you could also get away with the Innova Teebird L (TL) or Discraft XL or XS.

If you're looking for a simple and cost effective solution, the Innova Starter pack has the Leopard, Shark (or Stingray), and Aviar P&A; the premium plastic Starter pack has the Valkyrie, Panther, and Aviar, but the Valkyrie is a bit faster than you're going to want, I'd think, and the Discraft Starter pack has the XL, Buzzz, and the APS putter. If your primary course is heavily wooded, I'd suggest the Discraft set as their Pro D plastic tends to hold up to tree hits just a bit better than Innova's DX.

Last edited by volklgirl; 11-15-2009 at 11:48 PM. Reason: spelling errors
Old 11-15-2009, 02:49 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 42.6
Courses Played: 3
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

As starter disc, a Lightning #1 slice, it's easy to throw, easy to handle, and it float.
A lightning upshot for approach and putting. Go with weights in the 165 range.

Old 11-15-2009, 03:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 17
Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by volklgirl View Post
Putter:
Whatever feels great in your hand! My choice is the Discraft Soft Banger GT, but I started with the Innova Aviar P&A, then the Omega Super Soft.

Midrange:
Innova Wolf, Singray, Coyote, Panther or Cobra; Discraft Storm, Stratus, Glide, Impact, or Buzzz. My choices would be Cobra or Stingray (I still use my Stingray daily.).

Driver:
Innova Leopard or Discraft Xpress. If you're a ball player, you could also get away with the Innova Teebird L (TL) or Discraft XL or XS.

If you're looking for a simple and cost effective solution, the Innova Starter pack has the Leopard, Shark (or Stingray), and Aviar P&A; the premium plastic Starter pack has the Valkyrie, Panther, and Aviar, but the Valkyrie is a bit faster than you're going to want, I'd think, and the Discraft Starter pack has the XL, Buzzz, and the APS putter. If your primary course is heavily wooded, I'd suggest the Discraft set as their Pro D plastic tends to hold up to tree hits just a bit better than Innova's DX.
This is the most complete nd comprehensive advice I have seen for this.

Well don Volk